Last game you finished

• I suspect Silt is quite under-the-radar for many of you, but if you enjoyed Limbo and Inside, you might find this subterranean puzzle adventure quite a treat. Personally, I like Silt, it's a beautiful and inspired puzzler that's brief but it leaves an indelible impression. My only significant gripe with Silt is the spike in difficulty during Chapter 4, it really undoes the pacing and it could hack you off, unless you're better at puzzle games than I am. I think you guys should check it out if you're at all curious, but this dive doesn't last long.

Overall
    7.8/10

• Tales of Xillia

Definitely one of the top entries in the series. I'm thankful however that it still retains the critical things that essentialy make a Tales game.
    I've also held onto the sequel since its release but I'm going to personally break it up with a different game until I choose to head on into the follow up.

• Just finished Industria. It's a slower paced Half-Life esque singleplayer FPS game. It's nowhere near as good as those HL games but it fills the void decently. Too many fast paced shooters these days for my liking. Wrote a longer review here.

• Silt

As someone who loves Limbo and has diving as a hobby I was really hyped on this game. But this was really disappointing and more so because sound design and art work are stunning.

Level design has very little to it, but the worst sin are the puzzles which for the most part are over simplistic and do nothing for world building. This feels like a prototype of a cool game that needed some serious game design to be implemented on top the great atmosphere which the sound and visuals already provide.

Fortunately it's short enough to avoid frustration.

6/10

• @bam541
    Saw that pop up on the PSN store, been debating on getting it since it's only like $20

• @dmcmaster just wait for a sale, it's not super well optimized yet so it's better to wait while they patch it and stuff

• @bam541
    Will do, will instead use that $20 for the Capcom Arcade Stadium thing.

• Perhaps it's too early to say I've "finished" The Quarry, but after a thorough and complete single playthrough, here are my thoughts:

To start I must say I have conflicting feelings about The Quarry. I think it's a gripping horror adventure with many different and varied outcomes, it's really impressive how events can play out. On top of this, it's easy to appreciate how damn hard SuperMassive have worked making this game work so very well with all it has going on in it. I do also have a fondness for big cinematic adventure games where you make choices that alter the outcomes-very few frustrations come with these kinds of games and The Quarry is no exception.

Now I've got scratch all the niggling fleas out of my scraggly neck-long blonde hair. I don't really know where to start-so I'll just dive into the deep end like some of the characters do during the experience.

Firstly, I don't know if any game has summoned such a detestable cast of idiotic teenaged morons. Seriously I want to sucker punch these ingrates and pinch their youthful ballsacks with pliers so tight and hard you wouldn't even want to know the aftermath. Not only do I have a hard time listening to these wisecracking and cliche-cussing nimrods, but they look hideous.

Yahtzee said it best when he described one of the female characters by saying "the stocky sexy girl character in particular looks like she's trying to talk through a bagel that has been hot-glued to her face," they simply look like they've been scuba diving below the uncanny valley sea level too far down and for too long.
    Now, these characters couldn't look any worse than Quantic Dream's efforts in Detroit: Become Human, but considering that game shares several similarities with The Quarry-let's just say they both wanted cinematic lusciousness at the expense of the traditional videogame playing we all y'know play games for.

I think one of the major problem The Quarry has is that it's unable to make the characters interesting from the start, so you get roped into a ten hour trek through teenage hell and it becomes really hard to care about what happens to anybody. All the characters are generally stereotypes of what teenagers these days are. You got the social media obsessive, the obnoxious showoff douchebag, the alternative one and the dependable if sporty frat boy type. They could've put in the self-harming goth type and a nerdy bookworm type and it'd be a complete cast of angsty, insecure and smelly body odor reeking rejects and dumb plums.

I know I should be thankful that SuperMassive gave us the ability to deliver disturbing deaths to each of these turnip twisters, but I've had to listen to them for too long to inject my serum of prolonged patience into my right bicep.

Another biting realization I've had is that generally The Quarry is largely the same experience structurally as their other efforts. I loved Until Dawn, but after seven years and three Dark Pictures Anthology games and now The Quarry, there's no evolution to the formula. You enter a horror adventure with a mixture of stereotypes, survive incurring dangers, all the while you collect glimpses of possibilities, clues and evidence; you have to follow quick-time events, and a minigame where you need to hold your breath to avoid danger, oh and along the way you make decisions and proceed with actions that can cause the death of cast members and alter the endings you get.

As stated, these games must be painstaking to put together, but they are the same formulaic games we've been playing for years now, and they're only getting bigger now, not better.

Generally right now I can say that I like The Quarry but nothing about it surprises me or makes me feel differently from all these Dark Pictures games. There is ample replay value, but when you that all it offers is multiple endings and scenes which will shift the story along-it will seem like plenty of hard work for quite sub-standard rewards. There needs to be more ambition and a change of genre to freshen things up, but what we have with The Quarry is a good game that's just not evolving what we've come to know at all.

• Trek to Yomi

It's not an exaggeration to say that the visual and sound presentation will most probably be my favourite in 2022. Within the budget limitations this game punches above its weight artistically speaking.

It also delivers an entertaining narrative with all the expected gravitas of a classic samurai movie. And level design is good and clever in the way that rewards exploration while also serving the carefully planned aesthetics.

Unfortunately combat falls very short to the detriment of the whole product. Lacks balance, responsiveness and impact and being most of what you do in this game it's a critical flaw. You can still have some enjoyment from your encounters but even at the best of times it still lacks. What a shame!

• TMNT Shredder's Revenge

I never liked the turtles so there's no nostalgia added value for me. It's a fun game, I enjoyed the short levels and how quickly you can go through them. There's a lot of replay value too, as obviously you have several base characters, plus unlocks. But when it comes to this type of game TMNT isn't great.

I don't know exactly if it's fully intentional for nostalgia reasons but the art style is disappointing and sound sample quality is sufferable. Then gameplay isn't exactly great, for instance the timing from a normal strike to connect with, let's say, jumping is too sluggish. While fine there's little annoyances like this that make it less of a game. Enemy types aren't great either.

Maybe some decisions are legacy driven but as someone with no affinity with the franchise, those decisions just make it less enjoyable as a game. Although I can see those with an emotional connection enjoying more.

• @phbz I don't like the fact you have to line yourself up with your enemies in order to hit them. However, I really do like have punchy and arcadey the levels are and how wonderfully accessible it is.

• @jdincinerator Yeah there's a weird stiffness to movement that I don't know if is a legacy thing or just bad. It's a cool game, just not that great for what the genre has to offer.

btw, I need a new Golden Axe!!

• Shadowrun Returns

This game feels like a 2006 remaster of a 1996 game, only that's actually a 2013 game remastered in 2022. And that's actually charming, being rough around the edges and striped down to the core of a rpg makes it a straight forward experience while still caring some depth.

It really has a cool world and a story that grabs you. The tactical turn based combat never gets to the hight of a Xcom but is still fine. And that's basically it, a cool game with a cool atmosphere that goes by quickly enough to recommend it. Also, I immediately installed the sequel to play it. Which is something.

7.5/10

Problem is that this remaster is a complete disaster with loads of badly implement stuff and several crashes. Which makes it something hard to recommend to anyone, unless you can ignore the technical issues and are eager to play a cool and accessible cyberpunk crpg.

3/10

• @phbz on which platform did you play it on?

• Wonder Boy (PS4 - Wonder Boy Collection)

It's been a long time since I've played the original Wonder Boy. I played it on the Master System many years ago and liked it a lot and I still do. It's a very simple and repetitive platformer but really fun.
    It can be a difficult game at times but checkpoints are frequent and you never need to restart a level of world. Even after a game over you can just restart from the checkpoint in the middle of a level, this makes the whole game seem very fair and I never get frustrated with it unlike a lot of game from that era.

• @neocweeny Series X.

• Hey @NeoCweeny I saw on your Backloggery you recently finished The Witcher 1. What are your thoughts? I've only played it once but it's an all time great RPG in my eyes. At least from a story perspective. I hope it eventually gets a remake or remaster so it can be preserved forever kinda like how Mass Effect 1 recently got a remaster.

• @dipset I forgot to mention that one here.

I also think it's one of the greatest RPGs. The story is really great, there are some great characters and a lot of memorable moments. I don't like the combat so much so best chapters for me were the ones where you just go around talk to people. I think the graphics also still look great, not really the characters but environments look awesome and give the game an unique atmosphere.

I'm excited to play the next two games when I have the time.

• @neocweeny

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I echo everything you say. The Aurora Engine felt dated even back by 2007 standards, but I still thought the visuals and atmosphere felt really good. The dungeon crawly parts still felt old school in a good way.

Despite that, I feel like it's a hard ask for newer gamers to go back and play a game in that engine. It is too good of a game to be a dark horse in an amazing trilogy due to old tech and a smaller budget.

• Finished Ghostwire Tokyo. Wrote a longer review here, but in short, I loved the story and characters, and Tokyo is one of my favorite open world in games already. (9/10)