Last game you finished

• @dipset I forgot to mention that one here.

I also think it's one of the greatest RPGs. The story is really great, there are some great characters and a lot of memorable moments. I don't like the combat so much so best chapters for me were the ones where you just go around talk to people. I think the graphics also still look great, not really the characters but environments look awesome and give the game an unique atmosphere.

I'm excited to play the next two games when I have the time.

• @neocweeny

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I echo everything you say. The Aurora Engine felt dated even back by 2007 standards, but I still thought the visuals and atmosphere felt really good. The dungeon crawly parts still felt old school in a good way.

Despite that, I feel like it's a hard ask for newer gamers to go back and play a game in that engine. It is too good of a game to be a dark horse in an amazing trilogy due to old tech and a smaller budget.

• Finished Ghostwire Tokyo. Wrote a longer review here, but in short, I loved the story and characters, and Tokyo is one of my favorite open world in games already. (9/10)

• Cyberpunk 2077 - 7/10

Starting in December 2020, and two V profiles later, I finally finished Cyberpunk 2077. I originally started writing down various points here and there but ultimately decided to refine my criticism into a formal third-person review.

I figured since I trashed the game so badly around launch and throughout 2021, I should dignify the game with some actual thought out criticism. Because in the end, I enjoyed parts of this game immensely. Please give it a read, but I warn you, it'll roughly take 10 minutes to go through. I'll share the first few paragraphs here.

GG App: MIKEY MO - Cyberpunk 2077 Review

--

Cyberpunk 2077 tries to envelop players with its rebellious punk attitude towards a distant future dystopia known as Night City. The game has the unfortunate task of adapting an entire genre as well as a pre-existing table top franchise into a massive game world. As a result, Cyberpunk 2077’s tone is an unnatural macrocosm of various genre tropes and cliches that lack any sort of nuance or subtlety. Night City, bombards you with overt themes of unfettered capitalism and corporate militarism by peppering the city with cartoonish overly sexualized ads for products ranging from soda cans to cologne. Meanwhile, paramilitaristic organizations have an overbearing presence that is so immediately normalized to the point where it wouldn't be uncommon for an average denizen to discuss Mili-Tech or Arisaka in the same way they might talk about sports. While exploring the open world, you will be forced to listen to radio hosts who present news about violent atrocities with the same energy and enthusiasm as a game show host surprising the winning contestant with a brand new car. The aggressively satirical energy CD Projekt RED injects into Cyberpunk 2077 makes Grand Theft Auto’s brand of satire seem deeply serious and thematically rich. Between the way the world of Cyberpunk 2077 is presented, coupled with its embarrassingly rushed launch, one begins to question whether the developers truly understand the themes it’s trying to present or if they perhaps ran out of time to finesse the tone into something more sophisticated.

Yet—way beneath the surface, Cyberpunk 2077 is not really about anything it pretends to actually be. If CDPR’s depiction of Night City makes you thematically jaded; one can take solace in the fact that the plot is deeply touching on a human level and is empathetic towards those who have to actually have to live within and navigate this dystopia. At its core, Cyberpunk 2077 actually does have something meaningful to say, but it’s hidden among so many terrible fetch quests, open world checklist distractions, and far too many pointless characters that distract from the greatness of its charming characters and narrative highs.

• Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut

Great sequel/expansion, improving in several aspects. Now you have a proper team to manage, story is much more interesting and so is the world.

Again, a good lightweight RPG in a cool cyberpunk universe and again a very poor port, although not as catastrophic as the first title, it's unacceptable to release a port that not only doesn't addresses issues reported when it originally released 10 years ago but also adds new issues.

Still, if you're into the genre and have GamePass, I can recommend it because the game itself is great but, technically is frustrating and disappointing.
    4.5/10

• Matchpoint

Sports games without full licenses are always at a disadvantage. Few real players, no real tournaments or locations, is very detrimental to the experience when you're playing against the number 1 player "Steve Yo" on the legendary tournament of Paris. Made worse with the game taking no notice if you achieve a big tournament win or reach top players in the world. Videogame cardinal sin here, when there's no feedback for big goals.

Then on top of that it's noticeable that this is a low budget game, far from the likes of FIFA. Voice commentary is very limited, animation work somewhat inconsistent and the AI doesn't feel realistic as a spots simulation.

There's also so bizarre limitations in the career mode. You have your tournaments and exhibition matches and occasionally you are allowed to train in a total of 2 different exercises. It seems like something that was not fully implemented.

But when it comes to Tennis I did enjoyed it. It does a good job in capturing how important it is to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents and adapting your game accordingly. Though I recommend playing it at the highest difficulty.

7/10

• STRAY

Quicker than a kittycat on catnip, Stray is a short but memorable experience and is a whisker away from true greatness, but it has a few coughed up furballs I'll detail below. Here are the likes a gripes:

+A purrleasing cat-centred adventure game,
    +Wonderful neon cities and curiosity catching dark alleyways,
    +The devs seemed to have nailed the pleasurable mannerisms of cats.

Gripes
    -Finnicky platforming at times,
    -Probably too short considering how good the game is otherwise,
    -Missing mannerisms like coughing up furballs, licking of legs, scratching with legs, taking a poo inside a cat litter tray, playing with yarn,
    -Bit too gloomy and the environments aren't too colorful or inspiring.

OVERALL
    7.7/10

• I finished up God of War III and Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Vita) over the weekend! My Platinum journey for the whole God of War series is finished. That Zeus fight at the end of 3 on Hard Mode, can rot in Hades. Enjoyed myself overall though!

Played Jak and Daxter for MinnMax's Deepest Dive and I can say the Vita is not the best way to play Jak and Daxter, that I can confidently confirm. Love the game, but the joysticks on the Vita do not fit well with the precision you need sometimes. And the framerate does notably dip at times. Did get the Platinum though anyways! So that's all three Platinums for that game I now have.

• @bruno_saurus

I think GOW III Platinum is the hardest thing I’ve done in gaming. IMO it’s harder than the Bloodborne Plat. Zeus was tough but there is some battle by these gates near the end game game nearly stopped me dead in my tracks. Took me 2-3 days to beat it.

Also, I’ve only finished GOW 1 one time but I recall playing it on either Normal or Hard, then needing to drop the difficulty down to Normal or Easy for the Ares fight. Years later, Jaffe admitted something is wrong with the frame rate in the game and a few parts of the game near the end are unfairly difficult which kinda validated my frustration. Only time I’ve ever whipped a controller was against Ares. So hats off to getting tnat Platinum too.

• @DIPSET
    Haha gosh that sounds extremely annoying regarding GOW 1. For that one, this replay I only needed a Playthrough within five hours. Which on Easy wasn't too bad. Ares I think I needed one or two tries, the stress of time might've gotten to me towards the Pandora puzzles. I played it on the PS+ Premium service too, so some of the frame hiccups got worse in non-opportune moments. That's what I remember!

Yes, that fight on Hard was also the worst! Because you're dealing with two Satyrs and the Cerberus sending out basically time bombs. Think those might've tied the most attempts with Zeus! The Labyrinth was a mental hurdle for me definitely I can say that!

• Road 96

If the idea of a Don't Nod/Telltale adventure mixed with some Swery65 style irreverence sounds appealing this is no doubt worth to check.

At first it didn't impressed but as you progress it becomes more and more interesting.

The general idea is that you live in an authoritarian country where young people try to escape from. You'll play as several of those teens, with each journey dependent of you choices. You choices and actions will impact the world and characters in several ways.

It is a cool concept, reasonable well executed, definitely worth to play. One of its biggest strengths is also a weakness, the game can go from hilarious to truly dark in a blink of an eye but occasionally it kinda missed the target. I think those who are into Japanese humour might enjoy it more than me, the influence is definitely there.

Voice actors have a weird reverb added to their voices that I really can't get the point. Sounds terrible.

A good surprise.

7.9/10

• Finished Deliver Us The Moon. Wrote a longer review here, as usual. It's a story-driven walking sim & puzzle game set mostly in man-made bases on the Moon. It's nothing too special, but I like the somewhat restrained approach to the storytelling, and the gameplay rarely got too annoying or boring to get in the way of it. I'm looking forward to the sequel coming this September! (7/10)

• Capcom Fighting Collection (Switch)

A decent collection, good emulation. Half of the collection consists of Darkstalkers though and most Darkstalker games are almost the same but they are good games.
    There are two games here I had never played before: Cyberbots and Red Earth. I really didn't like Cyberbots, it is atleast very different from other Capcom fighters but not my cup of tea. I didn't find any of the mechs enjoyable to play as.
    Red Earth I really loved. It has a very unique single player and it looks and plays amazing. I think it's actually one of the best Capcom fighting games from that era. It's a shame they never made more of these.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (XB1)

It's a nice visual upgrade of the original but Halo 1 is worse than I remembered. I never liked it all that much, mostly because of its horrible level design but I feel like I hate the level design even more than I did when I first played 20 something years ago. The first Halo does have the best atmosphere of the entire franchise and the story is nice and simple.

• Jak X: Combat Racing Played on the PS5 | PS4 Version

Very good action racing game! Probably one of the top ones on the PS2 at the time. Story was well rounded enough for the Jak and Daxter world itself. Chaotic and grimey enough! The Adventure Mode mission variety is insane. Maybe like 10 different mission types?! And each Grand Prix Cup offers a good challenge, especially if you want Gold for all of em!
    Only real gripe I have is that you can be moved so dramatically at times. If you hit a lip on the road, have fun having to get your car oriented again lol. And for certain mission types, like a Time Trial type, that is not very helpful.

But I do really love this game and definitely would recommend! (8.5/10)

• Citizen Sleeper

One of those games that pushes traditional videogame definitions. Visuals are minimal, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's books with more visual work put into. A lot of reading involved, in fact this is a choose your own (sci-fi) adventure type of thing on a digital format.

Overall a fantastic RPG with a very unique and functional design when it comes to interactivity. Great soundtrack too. Very well written.

It could easily be a 10/10 with a better artwork and while I absolutely don't mind all the reading it's a shame that the visual work isn't appealing at all. Still it will absolutely end in my top games of 22.

9/10

• @phbz

I listed to the panel from Triple Click podcast discuss Citizen Sleeper and it sounds really cool. I'm not super into visual novels on PC because sitting and reading at my desk isn't super pleasant. But the life simulation aspects seem pretty cool.

It sounds like it uses it sci-fi genre for some pretty interesting storytelling.

I have it downloaded but want to finish a few games up before I hop in. 9/10 is high praise!

• @dipset Yeah, I started on PC and moved to console just to be more comfortable.

Not a fan of visual novels either but the gameplay loop along with the good writing makes it really engaging.

• Prey (2006)

On one side I can see how this in 2006 might have been more impactful but it also shows how a series like Half Life or Halo have always been on another level when compared with most FPS. I can also understand why some people complained about Arkane's Prey since this has absolutely nothing in common except for both featuring Aliens.

The game itself is fine. Kinda messy, with repetitive enemies, unispired weapons and visually boring. But its approach to level design with the use of portals and manipulation of gravity makes it worth to play even today.

Cool sound design and atmosphere.

6.5/10

• As Dusk Falls

Another "Choose Your Own Adventure" to add to the growing mound of them. This one is pretty good and will keep you invested and wanting to replay chapters to witness the different scenario outcomes. However, the stop-frame animation is very off-putting and will be a largely divisive motif among players. Certain scenes and character decisions don't make sense either. I can't say this one breaks the mold in any particular way, but is suitably satisfying nonetheless.

7.4/10

• Stray

Cats!

10/10

Well, it does a great job in capturing cat behaviour and making you laugh about it, particularly for a cat dude such as myself, I give them that. Stray fits right in that segment of AA titles with some AAA aspirations, which are usually characterized by a big technical proficiency and smart use of the available resources. Although unlike titles like Hellblade or Plague Tale this one falls a bit short. Nothing serious though.

My biggest annoyance is movement not being more fluid with the game forcing you to look for a key prompt to know where you can or cannot move. I feel like movement should have been their number one priority, since you play as a cat, and the solution they found feels like a compromise. Some levels/missions are kind of stinkers. Music is disappointing too, it's well used, but the composition for the most part falls short.

Apart from those somewhat minor annoyances, the visuals are great, with great care both in level and character characterization. Level design in the two main cities is pretty awesome. And missions towards the end greatly improve over early ones. Cool story, characters and universe.

Cats!

7.8/10