Last game you finished

• Finished Stray a couple of days ago and it was reaaaaly average. I should temper my expectations towards beatiful looking indies because they are turning borefests recently. And story did NOTHING for me. What a wasted potential.

• @Scotty I'm very curious, and please do not take this as a trolling question, I am genuinely asking: what were you expecting instead? I find myself on the opposite end where I was not interested in the game at all, and only gave it a try because it comes with my PS Plus subscription. I generally dislike cats (go dogs!) and could not imagine playing as one would be fulfilling. But I find the world they built to be incredibly well realized and navigating it all as a feline is genuinely fresh. The fact that there are some clever puzzles and a story thrown in is just icing.

• @ozymandsss

I haven't played the game myself, but based on some of the reviews I read, the world the developers created seems a bit underwhelming. I was expecting something a bit more interesting from the sci-fi setting.

Dunky brought this up in his review, but these sort of art house atmospheric games like Journey can covey the whole story in 5 hours or less via the gameplay and natural progression through the world. Whereas Stray has a lot of text dialogue and a lot of explaining.

So I didn't really have any high expectations for Stray, but I was sort of expecting a lot more mystery and subtly to the story.

• @ozymandsss I'm not speaking for @Scotty but I have similar feeling to him as you can read above if you care to. If not, then here are my bugbears-again if you want to read them.

My issues with Stray came to light after I completed it. I realized it was more predictably mainstream than it appears on the surface. There are some good cat mannerisms but not many that are quirky and delightful, the game is too dank and dreary-it's a cat game it should be cheerier than it is, and I find that much of the gameplay involves either clambering or running away from threats. I don't really think the A.I friendlies are a good substitute for other cats-and what on earth happened to those cats you meet at the beginning?

I do like Stray and understand why some people love it, heck initially I really enjoyed what I played, but upon reflection it was more Triple A than I examined whilst playing it.

• From the Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch):

Castlevania
    It's a fun and short sidescroller. I played this game many times and it just never gets old for me. I like how short it is. It's good to waste 30 minutes of your time. The music is still fantastic.

Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
    This is one of the best sidescrollers ever made imo. The level design is excellent, great bosses, well balanced characters and weapons, one of the best 8-bit soundtracks and the graphics still have a lot of charm.
    I love that they included the Japanese version here which is by far the better version. The difficulty in the western versions is unfair and unbalanced. The Japanese version is still very difficult but feels fair and is not annoying. Especially the final stage of the game is complete mess in the western versions.
    Plus the soundtrack in better in the Japanese version and it is uncensored.

I also played some Castlevania 2. I really like the game, I think it doesn't reserve the hate it gets. The problem I have is that it is impossible to play without a guide. I played the part that I still have memorized from my previous playthrough but have no mood right now to play through the whole again despite liking it a lot.

• @ozymandsss

I was expecting more than ''take this, give that'' kind of goals. Also I was expecting more fun platforming. Finally, I was expecting to have more fun all around.

I literally pushed myself to finish it after a while. And playing as a cat lost its charm so quickly to me.

And I can't help myself about despising these kind of ''arty'' things if you can call that. Most of the time they are just borefest that trying to look/feel artsy just to get away from criticism.

Sorry for the late answer, I'm just seeeing that.

• The Darkness 2

Another 360 game I always wanted to play but never did. I don't remember much of the original other than really enjoying it.

2 was a good surprise and regardless of being 10 years old, and gameplay being far from being top tier, it feels somewhat refreshing. Being very violent and explicit, if feels fresh to play it now in a time everybody is afraid to take risks. It also does really well something I love in videogames, you never know what to expect from it, where exactly is going to take you next. I dig that.

For a game with no visual enhancements, other than HDR, it holds in surprisingly well. As I've said, gameplay isn't anything special, but the combat dynamics, between guns, powers, enemy types and environmental hazards keeps it interesting enough.

8/10

• Super Castlevania IV (Switch)

I played the Japanese version on the Anniversary Collection. Castlevania IV is an enjoyable game. It's very simplistic compared to most other classic Castlevania games. I don't think it's nearly as good as Castlevania III, Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines. Those games just have more variety, different characters and a non-linear progression.
    Castlevania IV is more straight forward but my biggest issue with it is it's difficulty. The game really isn't made for the more flexible movement here and it is way too easy for a Castlevania game.
    The high point of Castlevania IV though is its atmosphere. It is still unmatched in the franchise. The atmospheric soundtrack is just a masterpiece.

• Sinking City

I've been wanting to play this game even before it was released. A lovecraftian mystery from the same studio that makes the Sherlock Holmes games, and what seemed to be their most ambitious project to date, it's a no-brainer, right? Right?

Coincidentally, a couple of days ago YouTube recommend me a Jimquisition video named "Sinking City - the worst game I've ever liked" and that was pretty much what I've been thinking to myself for the near 30 hours it took me to finish it.

Sinking City seems like a too ambitious project for the available resources. At every second it simultaneously shows how great it could have been and how far from that it actually is. It's like we're playing an early build meant only to show investors how well things are going, followed by a promising road map for the next couple of years.

It's difficult to be too critical of the team because, at least this next gen version, feels like they did what they could with an obviously badly thought out project and in some aspects still delivered what's arguably the most fateful lovecraftian videogame, which is also a tragedy that such an influential universe can't get the funding it disserves. Who knows maybe one day Rockstar might gives us that like they did with RDR, but for now this is what we get. Ironically fateful to the source material Sinking City is a feverish dream you agonizingly can't pull yourself from, it draws you in and drains you out.

5.5/10

• Immortality

The credits have rolled but to be honest I'm not yet done with it, which is very atypical of me. I do want to jump to the next game but, for the last two days, every time I turn my Xbox on I think to myself "I'll just go on more time through some more footage and see if I can find more stuff" and invariably I'll find scenes and secret content I previously haven't found.

In immortality you'll scan footage of a trilogy of unreleased movies that go from the late 60's to the late 90's, trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of the main start. You'll start with one clip and from there you unlock more by clicking on elements present on screen, for example a cross present on a scene will lead you to a cross in another scene. The clips consist of raw footage, rehearsals, tv interviews, home videos, behind the scenes stuff and so on and, as you play and learn the language of the game, you'll start to uncover a more eerie and bizarre sub-plot that will give you the "true" answer.

It's really well executed, with video formats corresponding to the time portrayed, excellent photography, writing and acting.

My only complaint is that interaction could have been more nuanced, you basically just rewind and forward video when more variety of interactions, like tracking and zooming, could bring extra depth to the "puzzle". But I can see how keeping it simple makes it a more fluid experience for the average user.

Just a wonderful multi layered mystery where you'll want to reconstruct the plot of the 3 movies, get to know more about the off-screen life of the people involved and, more importantly, you will be drawn to the secret plot. An endless pit of mysteries.

9/10

• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)

I really enjoyed this game. It is very stylish. The gameplay, the story, the characters, the dungeons,... All is great. The difficulty level is perfect and it has a good lenght (about 25 hours) I don't think a JRPG should be longer than that. Plus the whole game is just "cool as fuck", I mean it's SMT mixed with cyberpunk.

I while dive into Soul Hackers 2 soon.

• @neocweeny I’ve started Soul Hackers more times than I’d care to say but never finished it. I really like it but somehow always get sidetracked. I 100% agree on the vibes, they are incredible. It feels vintage but the themes are timeless, which good sci-fi most often is.

I’m jumping back in as soon as I have my house next week. Thanks!