Last game you finished

• I just finished... Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on Wii U. What a great little game, and reaching 100% completion was far from a piece of cake!

The time trials were frantic, and the very last bonus level, Mummy-Me Maze Forever, was a nightmare, my heartbeat was through the roof when I finally made it! I don't know why I put myself through this.

• I recently finished the main story quest on FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. (Not Heavensward, that comes soon though). But can you ever say you've finished an MMO?

I also just finished Letter Quest, which is great if you only have 15 mins to play.

Before that it would be Dragon Quest Builders.

• Tyranny by Obsidian Entertainment.

Holy crap does that game drag you in. What a fantastic story.

• Titan Souls 7/10 - 213 deaths, 3h14 playtime. Boss rush the game with early 2d Zelda graphics and one shot kills. Very lite story but the sweet taste of victory following flawless execution on a tough boss is a great feeling.

• POKEMON SUN!!!!!

• @thenerdtheword Already??

• @Axel WRONG THREAD BECAUSE I'M A DUMMY!

Pokemon Sun is what I am Now Playing...

oops!

Here's what I've actually finished recently,

Updates in bold, dates are in DD/MM/YY i.e. the "proper" way you pesky Americans and your pesky backwards dating system!

January

• The Banner Saga [Steam]
    • Lifeline [iOS]

February

• Pokemon X [3DS]
    • Firewatch [PS4]

March

• Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered [PS4]
    • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition [PS4/PS Vita] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 26/3/16
    • Hitman: Prologue Episode [PS4]
    • Hitman: Paris Episode [PS4]
    • Deadly Tower of Monsters [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 24/3/16
    • Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4]
    • Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV [PS4]

April

• Bloodborne: The Old Hunters [PS4]
    • Bloodborne [PS4]
    • Game of Thrones Episode 5: A Nest of Vipers [PS4]
    • PaRappa the Rapper 2 [PS4]
    • Bloodborne NG+ [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 18/04/15
    • Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 [Wii U Virtual Console - Originally on N64]
    • Game of Thrones Episode 6: The Ice Dragon [PS4] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 21/4/16
    • Star Fox Zero [Wii U]

May

• Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]
    • Pokemon Yellow [3DS Virtual Console - Originally on Gameboy/GB Colour]

June

• The Order: 1886 [PS4]

July

• Life and playing games without end got in the way! Mainly Overwatch, lots and lots of Overwatch -

August

• Batman: The Telltale Series Episode 1: Realm of Shadows [PS4]

September

• The Bunker [PS4]
    • Virginia [PS4]
    • Batman: The Telltale Series Episode 2: Children of Arkham [PS4]

October

• The Witness [PS4]
    • Gone Home [PS4]
    • Job Simulator [PS4/PSVR] - Platinum Trophy Unlocked 25/10/16
    • Batman: Arkham VR [PS4/PSVR]
    • PlayStation VR Worlds [PS4/PSVR]

November

• Pokemon Soul Silver [DS]
    • Pokemon Omega Ruby [3DS]

November has been a very Pokemon-centric month for me! I finally finished my playthrough of Soul Silver and I managed to start and complete Omega Ruby just before Sun/Moon came out.

Soul Silver and I guess the original Pokemon Silver aren't as good as I remember them being and I've played them a lot over the years! Don't get me wrong there is a lot of great stuff in there and the Gen II Pokemon designs are amongst my favourites but the game feels too crammed in. While in Johto it feels like every town is right next to each other with little in terms of wilderness or caves between them. This is counteracted slightly by a strict adherence to having some sort of dungeon or challenge outside of the Gyms in or near each town. But yeah the world feels small and less fleshed out compared to the more modern games.

Then you have the whole going back to Kanto thing which is awesome on paper but the execution of it is mixed at best. Trainer and Gym Battles are of the appropriate level for your team but wild Pokemon are at their original values from Red/Blue/Yellow. So exploring the world quickly becomes an annoying slog of pointless battles. It also doesn't help that some of the cooler locations in Kanto are blocked off or have been redesigned into single rooms that are essentially just nods to the original games. This is probably constraints put on the game from the original release and the limited memory size of Gameboy cartridges at the time but for a remake surely they could have added some more...stuff and tweaked the balance a bit?

By the time I had beaten the Elite Four a second time and climbed my way up to the peak of Mt. Silver I was ready to face Red, the hero from the first Pokemon games. But then all his team were level 80 and I couldn't be bothered grinding to reach a similar level to stand a chance of beating him. Annoyingly this happens at a few point in Soul Silver. Arbitrary road blocks to cause you to backtrack a bit to train. I'm usually fine with this because in games like Pokemon X/Y there was plenty to do. In Soul Silver however you've most likely seen and done everything your first time through an area so there is nothing to do but grind. So yeah, while the game overall is great there is a slog to it that feels wholly unnecessary.

Omega Ruby on the other hand was a perfectly balanced game with a steady challenge (to a point) and a nice drip feeding of the story right up to the end of the end game. Gen VI's combat is near perfect and the systems carried over and enhanced from X/Y make playing this remake of Ruby similar but different enough to keep you engaged. The DexNav in particular is a welcome addition that makes hunting down Pokemon an interesting game of cat and mouse rather than blind luck.

Time was against me with my playthrough of Omega Ruby and I tackled the last three Gyms, Elite Four and the Post Game with EXP. SHARE enabled. I now remember why I turned it off in Pokemon X and in my current playthrough of Sun. Within a couple of hours my whole team was over-levelled for whatever area I was in and the game lost all sense of challenge. My playtime reduced significantly and I ended up speeding through the latter parts of the game because I was finding things way too easy. So in the end Omega Ruby was probably the quickest amount of time it has taken me to play a Pokemon game to completion. (37 hours compared to the 102 hours on my Pokemon X save file!) It was my choice to play it that way but EXP. SHARE is on by default whenever you get it so for the vast majority of players this is the normal way of playing through modern Pokemon games which is a shame. Still I had a lot of fun blasting through the game and I managed to complete it just as my download of Sun unlocked which I started playing and loving immediately. SO YAY FOR ME!

• @pinecone Ya, in particular that very last boss! Oh man did that one take me a bit.

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall really enjoyed it, better than Returns. Good story and good characters and fun gameplay

• 08/01/2016 - Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1) - 8/10
    14/01/2016 - Until Dawn (PS4) - 9/10
    20/01/2016 - SOMA (PC) - 9/10
    24/01/2016 - Undertale (PC) - 8/10
    03/02/2016 - The Witness (PC) - 8/10
    16/02/2016 - XCOM 2 (PC) - 9/10
    17/02/2016 - Firewatch (PS4) - 7/10
    22/02/2016 - Unravel (PS4) - 9/10
    03/03/2016 - Dying Light: The Following (PC) - 7/10
    14/03/2016 - Hitman - Episode One: Paris (PC) - 7/10
    19/03/2016 - Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4) - 9/10
    07/04/2016 - Quantum Break (XB1) - 8/10
    21/04/2016 - Dark Souls 3 (PC) - 9/10
    29/04/2016 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - 6/10
    17/05/2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 10/10
    19/05/2016 - Hitman - Episode Two: Sapienza (PC) - 8/10
    20/05/2016 - Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 1: Zero Sum (PC) - 7/10
    10/06/2016 - Hitman - Episode Three: Marrakesh (PC) - 7/10
    23/06/2016 - Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (PC) - 7/10
    02/07/2016 - DOOM (PC) - 8/10
    03/07/2016 - Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 2: Atlus Mugged (PC) - 8/10
    05/07/2016 - Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 3: Catch a Ride (PC) - 6/10
    06/07/2016 - Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo (PC) - 9/10
    07/07/2016 - Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 - The Vault of the Traveller (PC) - 8/10
    09/07/2016 - INSIDE (PC) - 8/10
    12/07/2016 - Fallout 4: Automatron (PC) - 6/10
    15/07/2016 - Fallout 4: Far Harbour (PC) - 9/10
    25/07/2016 - Hitman - Summer Bonus Episode (PC) - 8/10
    17/08/2016 - Hitman - Episode Four: Bangkok (PC) - 6/10
    26/09/2016 - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC) - 7/10
    03/10/2016 - Forza Horizon 3 (PC) - 9/10
    16/10/2016 - Mafia III (PC) - 7/10
    17/10/2016 - Gears of War 4 (PC) - 8/10
    18/10/2016 - Virginia (PC) - 7/10
    03/11/2016 - Battlefield 1 (PS4) - 9/10
    09/11/2016 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4) - 9/10
    13/11/2016 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) - 9/10
    25/11/2016 - Dishonored 2 (PC) - 9/10

27/11/2016 - Titanfall 2 (PC) - 10/10

• Fable Anniversary 7/10 - Play Fable 2 instead but definitely better than 3. The Lost Chapters content is pretty good and substantial with a good final boss.

1979 Revolution: Back Friday 8/10 (6/10 objective) - Nominated for Games for Impact at Game Awards. Plays like a great telltale episode both in gameplay and length. Heavy and real subject matter that worked for me and the intended emotions were reached but game graphics and glitches will hurt immersion. Just laugh at the engine and glitches but surrender to the story and message.

• After significant time away from it, I went back and completed Rogue Legacy. I had gotten burned out while throwing myself against the optional remixed bosses, so it felt good to return and exact revenge. A great game which I highly recommend.

• Just finished Life Is Strange.

Wow, I can definitely see why it made the Top 100, and probably would have gotten a few more points from me if I'd played it earlier.

I'm very impressed by how well the story wrapped up and how every single piece of the puzzle fits, not to mention all the cool/surprising/funny/sad moments along the way. That's a journey I won't be forgetting for a long, long while, and some of its themes (loss, guilt) resonated particularly well with me.

Someone close to me is dealing with loss and I had a lot of trouble finding the right words to comfort her at times, but I feel like playing through this game gave me some new wisdom and understanding. Which in turn should allow me to help her better.

One of my colleagues, who's also a brilliant writer, recently explained that every story - be it from a game, movie or book - that we experience enriches us by giving us new ways to look at life, new points of view. Basically new life experience.

Life Is Strange gave me so much XP I think I actually leveled up! :)

• @Axel said in Last game you finished:

Life Is Strange gave me so much XP I think I actually leveled up! :)

This makes me chuckle, but I completely empathize. It's a wonderful thing when games transcend mere entertainment and become something greater.

• Steins Gate

I bought this ages ago in a sale and after completing some other Vita games and constantly being nudged by @Exist-2-Inspire I finally gave it a go.

To start this off, I'm not really into VNs. The closest thing I've gotten to them is the Zero Escape series and Danganronpa which I both love.

Anyway this one took me some time to complete and my initial impressions of the game were pretty damn negative. I think it spends an insane amount of time on completely pointless conversation that does nothing more than pad out a game that is already very long. It doesn't really go anywhere until about the 4th or 5th chapter which equates to about 10 hours of gameplay.

On top of that the main character is so unlikeable in these early parts too. He just has this completely stupid "Mad scientest" persona that makes you want to skip his dialogue everytime it happens.

But I did say I'd complete the game and that I did. Fortunately the story definitely does pick up and it does actually end quite nicely. There were times that I was engrossed in it and wondering what might happen next but overall I did find the story to be decent. I'm trying not to nitpick on it too much as I feel if I did, I might rip the whole thing open with plot holes and characters doing things that really make no sense for the character.

The game has also reminded me how much I hate multiple endings. The majority of which are pretty awful and just a "pick your girlfriend" simulator which also really makes no sense as you haven't built up this relationship at all in the majority of cases. I won't even go into the pervy stuff in the game.

So ya, I guess I'm coming across pretty negative on this one but the reviews for it are incredibly good and talk about how it's a fantastic timetravel story. For me, I think it's safe to say that VNs aren't really my thing. I'm glad I gave it a chance (platinumed it) and I enjoyed parts of it for sure but I couldn't recommend this game unless you're into these type of games.

• The Last Guardian. Holy shit. Do recommend.

• just finished final fantasy 15. 33 hours was my playtime

Spoilerthe final chapter was so final fantasy i was just giggling the whole time and the villain is good if not a little underdeveloped its not till the end do you figure out what his motivations were.
    the story as a whole however was on the weaker end until chapter 12 or so and that dungeon in chapter 13 can suck a big one. im gonna go back and do some post game stuff.
    also wanted some characters to have a more complete arc but whatever.

8/10 great game just not as great as it could have been. however the ending leaves some room open to expand this world if they please.

• Can you spoiler tag your post please @FF7Cloud not even played the game yet, and don't want the unmarked spoilers to ruin the games ending for me.

• @DisturbedSwan sure how do i

• Thanks @FF7Cloud