Last game you finished

• RE7. It's a great game, does feel like it was maybe slapped together after the positive reception of the Kitchen demo.

• A Link Between Worlds - serious New Super Mario Bros. vibes, in the sense that it's a technically proficient, modernised representation of a classic gameplay style, but is stymied by totally uninspiring art direction.

I actually don't mind the presentation of the NSMB games, but for Zelda, a game that is basically about exploring a world, you really want something more evocative.

Just my tuppence.

• @FF7Cloud oh thank god, cause right now I almost never use her unless I have to. This has made me a little sad since I usually like using characters with archery skills.

• I don't like this thread because I don't finish video games.

Dishonored 2
    Watch Dogs 2
    Nioh
    For Honor
    Final Fantasy 15
    Yakuza 0
    Planet Coaster (haven't even played)
    Civilization VI (only played 120 hours)
    Last of Us Remastered
    Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
    Bloodborne.

pls send help I don't need zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn.

• I just finished Resident Evil VII for the second time. I got the "bad" ending the first time so I wanted to see what was different If I got the other one. It's almost the same ending, but the game's so good I'd say it's defeinitely worth multiple playthroughs.

• Banned

Just finished Halo Wars 2, it was good though it felt like a giant teaser for what's coming in Halo 6.

• Gravity Rush 2 is an absolute treat.

• DOOM (2016) - 3/10

Man what a gutless game.

A game where even the joys of blowing away demons is stripped from you, where they prefer to politely stop, egregiously glow, and let you hokey-pokey on their face. If you're having trouble, no worry!---like Mario Kart, we'll give you a hand. Blow away an imp and earn some health back. And don't worry, you've got weapon upgrades and suit upgrades and rune powers and there's a power-up in nearly every area and a chainsaw and a BFG just in case. Even the battle arenas are offensively supportive, almost as if they're crafted not to have corners of any kind. It's a game of rounded edges. Sharp corners would hurt too much.

• @J_K_Day u finished it though? like i feel it has a lot of its own charm

• @Bigdude1 Yup. I will say, it did grow on me as I was mopping up the ancillary stuff. The overworld has a lot of the sense of place (and, dare I say, context) that I wanted from the dungeons. Would still have preferred some more creativity in the art style, which is something that Zelda has traditionally done very well at, but hey. Now for Hero mode.

• Banned

@Ringedwithtile said in Last game you finished:

DOOM (2016) - 3/10

Man what a gutless game.

A game where even the joys of blowing away demons is stripped from you, where they prefer to politely stop, egregiously glow, and let you hokey-pokey on their face. If you're having trouble, no worry!---like Mario Kart, we'll give you a hand. Blow away an imp and earn some health back. And don't worry, you've got weapon upgrades and suit upgrades and rune powers and there's a power-up in nearly every area and a chainsaw and a BFG just in case. Even the battle arenas are offensively supportive, almost as if they're crafted not to have corners of any kind. It's a game of rounded edges. Sharp corners would hurt too much.

If you think the game is too easy you can just up the difficulty, you know.

• @Mcgeezaks I trust the game is harder on harder difficulties. I picked what appeared to be the hardest (ultra-violence; nightmare is harder, but appears greyed out on the menu, and even if I knew it was an option I might not have picked it---I'm not very good at shooters). My problems sit with how the game treats/supports the player. It's a work of player empowerment/coddling that I find off-putting.

• Kirby's Dreamland 2 for Gameboy
    8/10
    Solid platformer that holds up great. It's pretty challenging too. I've started this game many times but haven't had the motivation to start and finish it til now. It's shorter than I thought it would be, but that's not a bad thing.

• Don't know if Ghost recon Wildlands open beta counts, but this game has really impressed me actually. I encourage you all to try it out. It has certain Red Dead feel to it.

• @Ringedwithtile Out of interest, is your distaste for player empowerment localised to DOOM and other particular franchises, or more overarching?

• @J_K_Day It's more overarching for sure. When a game is so self-conscious, so trying to please, it bothers me. It's like a clingy girlfriend that wants to sweet talk. There's something desperate about it. Franchising in general bothers me, especially when games are so conscious of what the public perception of their legacy is, or when concept isn't something that's elaborated on, but restated---which I think it is in DOOM's case.

• Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 Sisters Generationbolded (for PC) - did almost everything there is to do. That means a lot of grinding, which is still fun. The game is just stupidly light-hearted but one of the endings (“conquest”) was kind of dark and cruel and with that quite hilarious. But now I need a break before I start rebirth 3.

• Batman Arkham Knight 9/10. Everything said about the game is true so i'll concentrate on the dlc. The seperate episodes featuring the bat family are too short to matter but the Season of infamy which adds 4 long side missions in the main game featuring 4 fan favorite villains of past games. Best mix of gameplay and story in the franchise and worth it if you haven't played it. Movie Batmobile tracks were also quite fun especially the Burton ones. Played the pc version and had 0 issues.

Need for Speed 7/10 Serviceable NFS reboot. Always online makes for some great open world moments like drifting counter to another player but it could lead to disconnections. Story is abysmal and gameplay doesn't surprise so you're better off playing better titles like Forza Horizon, NFS Hot Pursuit, Burnout Paradise. Playing the latter beforehand made that reality all the more apparent.

• Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    I had a blast just running around that city. No matter what my current objective was when I saw a dash, delivery, ect. nearby I always do them. I can easily say that I positively only played the game because I enjoyed the gameplay and at no point did I wonder or care about what is going to happen next in the story. There was one time that I had to complete the next story mission because Noah would not shut up about making a deal with Dogen and how Dogen has a restaurant. He would literally tell me that after every side mission I did it drove me insane I just had to advance the story to shut him up. I'm also not the biggest fan of the progression of gear and not having access to them all from the start, at least the traversal gear. There were dashes I tried over and over and just couldn't get 3 stars on until I eventually decided to look up what route people we taking and disappointed that it was pretty much impossible for me until I advanced far enough in the story. With that I would suggest if anyone were to play it that they should progress enough to get the second magrope upgrade, which takes you up. Then you pretty much have access to all of the important stuff for running around the city. Overall I loved this game but do think it deserves the mediocre reviews it got.

• Luigi's Mansion
    Its been a while since I've played this and I really enjoy it. Exploring the mansion is fun and I love how there is a button for just calling out for Mario, which serves no actual purpose. I also love how Luigi will whistle the Luigi's Mansion theme. All of these details make wandering around the mansion a blast. I really wish you could skip cutscenes though, specifically the ones going into the final fight. While learning how to take him out and dying a couple of times watching those scenes got old real quick. Also spawning without full health is a slight annoyance.