Last game you finished

• Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 9/10. The game is the same as the rest so i'll go more into story thoughts as i've experiences the abridged Naruto saga through the games with the Ubisoft 360 games and the ninja storm series. By god do they nail the ending, without hyperbole this is the best ending to a long story i've ever seen. Everything comes together in such epic fashion coupled with the exquisite presentation of the action which makes this game the best way to experience the finish given the scale and spectacle.
    Road to Boruto 9/10. This is not included with season pass and it sits at 18$ compared to the film at 5-10$. Having not watched the film and following my disappointing watch of The Last: Naruto movie i was incredibly surprised by this tale. I was completely happy with purchase but i wouldn't have been if i'd already seen movie since it is a direct adaptation for triple the price. The animation, 3d aspect and story make it all worthwhile and it's the cherry on top of the saga as a whole. Whatever Cyber Connect 2 does next is gonna be a big deal as in terms of animation and spectacle they are best in the biz.

Refunct 9/10 Tiny half-hour game for cheap on steam. Got it for the overwhelming recent and overall positive rating. Left with a huge smile and my loud speakers blasting some incredible music. Simply put, first-person platformer with incredible soundtrack, amazing progression and a great sense of light discovery both in the environment and the gameplay . Go in as blind as possible.

• Global Moderator

I just finished The Last Guardian. What can I say? other than.. wow.. what a ride. I was super hyped going into it.. then after a couple of hours it started to frustrate me and I played it more to get through it than anything else. The controller is clunky at best and its the typical Team Ico climbing controller. I took a long break from this, but thanks to other people on this forum I went back into it with some perspective and now im sitting here... tears in my eyes and goosebumps all over my body. The ending was amazing, It came together and exeeded my expectations, I cant remember any other game where I shouted out for one of the main characters like I did. Without spoiling anything - If you havent played this and you own a PS4, you really should! If you cant get through the pussles (like me), use a walkthrough. 9/10

• @Lotias I'm in the frustration stage now.. I'm glad to hear it gets better. I was a bit disappointed to be honest

• Global Moderator

@Faaip Just get through it! I had more or less given up on the game, started to wonder about all the high grades about it and so on. The closer you get to the end, the better it becomes! I ended up using the IGN walkthrough to get through some of the harder bits. I felt disappointed too until I got in closer on the end where it then just took a complete turn around and blew me away.

• @Lotias Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. I'm about halfway I think.. just playing a bit a day

• Wolfenstein The Old Blood.

Not as good as The New Order. Much more linear, making stealth extremely difficult. Story had its moments. But no where as interesting as NO. Just reminds me how much I want a sequel to NO. NO ended on a strong note with much Nazi killing to be done.

• 21/03/2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 8/10

• As I try to tick off some of the gems I missed last year, I finished Firewatch last night.

I can't say it blew me away. The story, writing and acting are excellent, but the whole thing felt like it didn't need to be a videogame, and would have worked better as a movie. I know it's a "walking simulator" and I shouldn't expect much action, but there weren't even any light puzzles or any sort of gameplay, all I did was walk from A to B, listening to dialogue. And I found the ending rather underwhelming.

All in all, not a bad experience, but I don't really get the high praise it received.

Now I'm going back to the Top 25 thread to read your impressions!

• Plainumed Wildlands yesterday.

• @Axel I'm glad I read your post as I was tempted to purchase Firewatch the other day, but thought better of it for those exact reasons! I might just watch a stream on Youtube of it instead. I had the same feeling with The Order 1886.

• @Axel I enjoyed Firewatch. I believe puzzles would destroy it. But I agree, ending was REALLY underwhelming.

• @Nillend @Axel I don't get the general dislike for the ending of Firewatch. I thought is paid off on the premise and core of the story.

• @thenerdtheword I agree.. I don't know what people were expecting the ending to be. It felt like real life to me

@Lotias Just finished Last Guardian :D

The first half felt like a bit of a chore, but the last half really took off and I think the ending was fantastic.

• @Nillend @thenerdtheword @Faaip It's not so much the ending, because indeed it's realistic and open-ended.

Firewatch spoilers:

It's the "reveal", I expected to discover some conspiracy, maybe a betrayal by Delilah, something bigger than just the previous guy having gone a bit cuckoo. Not gonna lie, I did feel something for the kid, but I guess I fell in the same paranoia trap as the characters did, and thought the payoff would be grander.

I just feel like this whole thing could have made a much greater movie. I didn't feel rewarded as a gamer, but I liked it as a viewer.

Some games are all about gameplay (Mario); some are all about storytelling (Life Is Strange); some manage to have both (The Witcher 3).

So if you want to focus on story, then I expect that story to be interactive, offer choices and consequences, etc. I need to feel engaged, I need to be the one driving the story. In Firewatch I'm only moving Henry around, that's all I'm good for. So what's the point of using the videogame format?

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but I don't feel like it moves the genre forward at all, that's why I'm confused it got so much praise.

7/10 ;)

• @Axel Ohh yeah I totally forgot about that. Yeah I could agree that the resolution of that story line wasn't quite what I was expecting. I suppose they were going for more realism though. The buildup was great though.. parts of that mystery gave me chills.

I also agree that there wasn't really much to do (my biggest complaint being that it was too short). I don't think that adding some gamey elements would detract from what they were doing.. and it would have solved both of our issues. Honestly I would have been ok with just a bit more exploration and interaction if they didn't want to break the world with puzzles and stuff

• Enslaved: Odyssey to the West 9/10. Holds up! Animations, story and graphics all deliver. That color scheme of green/blue/brown and art design has allowed it to age gracefully like a cell shaded game would. Incredible motion capture by the best in the biz Andy Serkis and well written by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Dredd and upcoming Halo movie?). Ending is polarizing but i appreciate it much more now than before. Best executions i've seen in a long time, you can snap a gun turrets neck and it's great. Pigsy's Perfect 10 is also decent dlc with good length and new environments to see. But gameplay is less fun and story starts incredibly weak but luckily it comes around to good in the end.

Lumini 7/10 Small pc title about little wisp-like creatures going through very crystal heavy environments in 2d with light exploration and encounters. Comparable to Journey in feel and pace but not as involving. It's more of a relaxing title not demanding too much which makes it great for small sessions. Soundtrack was the highlight.

• @pinecone I never finished enslaved because I had so much trouble with the controls. I thought they felt pretty loose and I had trouble with the camera. That was a while ago, though, and you've definitely made me want to go back and revisit it.

• @pinecone @naltmank I had similar problems with controls. Also I just didn't get hooked, not sure why. Couldn't bring myself to feel anything for characters.

• @Paper-Lion I'm so gutted, after your post I've been keeping an eye out for deals and the PSN accidentally had FFXV for sale for £9.99 yesterday morning!!! But I missed it and now it's back up to £29.99! Never mind, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Either Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition or Sunset Overdrive
    Both incredible games in their own right. Highly recommend these titles to any fan of the third-person action adventure genre. If you enjoy gritty realism, or vibrant stylisation, these are easy buys. They're both a few years old, so you can pick them up at a discount almost guaranteed.