Last game you finished

• Finished The Last Guardian.

Very little fun was had.

It's a shame, the story is touching - yet by no means groundbreaking - but it is persistently ruined by the terrible gameplay and ergonomy. For every cool moment there are 20 infuriating ones.

Unlike many people I didn't even have issues with Trico, somehow I was always patient even when he didn't react to my commands and understood that it had a mind of its own. But the handling of the boy, as well as the camera, are a disaster. It's without exaggeration one of the worst characters I've ever controlled in a videogame. Every single sequence is a painful struggle and totally negates whatever emotional scene follows.

How this game managed to get perfect scores and GOTY nominations is beyond me. It's not even a matter of taste, because I would usually love this sort of game. But when the execution is so obviously botched, no amount of good characterization can compensate.

Oh well, glad that's behind me.

• Ok after beating the most pointless final boss I've ever seen in a JRPG, I'm finally done with Trails of Cold Steel 2

I really wish I didn't have to call this game a disappointment but it simply is, there are too many things I took issue with, and its strengths are not as well used as in the first game.

I'm still glad it introduced me to the series, even if I likely won't play the other games and just wait for ToCS3

• @bard91 After playing trails of cold steel 1 i found 2 a bit of a slog during the middle hours, and then the epilogues are not even needed and are just there to bump up the playtime as they add nothing.
    I then went to play trails in the sky and they are way better games i loved the characters in Cold Steel but Sky's Characters trump the, even though there are a few that overlap.

• @FF7Cloud I find it astonishing that they found epilogues necessary, the game was already over 100 hours when I got to the epilogues, and yeah they didn't really add much to the game.

That's what I've heard of TitS, but I'm not compelled enough at the moment to devote time into them, certainly not any time soon, but yeah I would like to play them, just unlikely.

• @bard91 yea FC is a 30 hour game and SC is a 60 hour game im only about 10 hours in the 3rd i got kinda burned out on the series

• Global Moderator

@Axel I think a lot of the problem with the game is that in the middle it gets a bit annoying when the backtrack happens and not much story or explanation happens. I had to take a break from playing it to later come back. I feel however that the last two hours really brought redemption to the game though and the ending touched me.

• Crash 2 on the N. Sane Trilogy (collected all 42 gems)

It's my favorite game of the trilogy and one of my favorite games and this remake is really solid. I had a blast playing through Crash 2 again.

• @Lotias I actually didn't have any problems with the game's structure or pacing, I don't even remember any sort of backtracking. My issues are with the moment-to-moment gameplay, the struggle to make my character perform even the simplest actions. I honestly think I would have enjoyed watching a Let's Play more.

The ending is very strong that's true.

This game needs to be remade by Platinum to handle the controls, THEN I'll consider it a great game ;)

@NeoCweeny I also just finished Crash 2 and weirdly enough I didn't like it at all, much preferred the first one. I felt like the level design was using trial-and-error way too much, the collisions and hitboxes felt unfair, etc. Funny how our opinions can vary so wildly. But I hear Crash 3 is the best and easiest of the trilogy so hopefully I'll enjoy that one!

• Global Moderator

@Axel Hahaha! a platinum games made The Last Guardian, now that Would be something I would wanna play! :D Maybe backtracking isnt the right word, but getting back to zones previously visited!

I also agree that sometimes the controller were a bit yankie and best.. also sometimes the climbing really annoyed me haha!

• 01/07/2017 - Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy: Crash Bandicoot (PS4) - 8/10

07/07/2017 - Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy: Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back (PS4) - 9/10

13/07/2017 - Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy: Crash Bandicoot 3 - WARPED (PS4) - 6/10

• Resident Evil REmake (PS4)

My second ever Resident Evil game after co-op in RE5 many years ago. I am so happy I am going through this series from the beginning. The frightening atmosphere, excellent audio, and great aesthetic choices make this a very unique game.

My major criticism with the game is that it doesn't follow it's own syntax. I picked the game up after putting it down for months and I forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I had run around the mansion for about 2 hours when I realized I need the armour key. Problem is that I recalled getting that near the beginning. Then I randomly found the "Mansion Key" in my safe box and it unlocked a door I needed. That was very frustrating because it disobeys the logic it puts forward already by referring to things as "Helmet", "Armour", etc. There isn't a very consistent syntax across the game nor in online guides that I referred to as well.

Regardless, the game holds up amazing and I can't wait to play RE2. I'd say the map system and back tracking are a bit dated but it doesn't kill the game. It's actually a good aspect but it is required a bit too much and can get annoying when you need to retreat behind 5 doors just to get that quest item you need.

7.5 - 8.0/10

• Life is Strange
    I overall enjoyed my experience except for most of the last chapter, and I just wasn't in the state emotionally that the game wanted me in for the ending.

End game / Chapter 5 spoilers:

I enjoyed the ending of Chapter 3 and the entirety of Chapter 4, but then 5 was a huge dud for me. The first part where you keep going back in time to try to not end up in the dark room or save Chloe was great. Then it was followed by my least favorite part of the game which ultimately is leaving a bad taste in my mouth overall, the timeline limbo world. I thought this whole area sucked and I instantly checked out. The fact that it was the last thing to do in the game past the final decision really dampened the ending for me.

Also, I feel like I wasn't in the same place emotionally with Chloe as the game wanted me to be when making the final decision. I really didn't like her. The whole game he's a whiny little prick and at times completely unlovable. The moment where I knew I could no longer care for Chloe was in Chapter 3 when she started cursing her father for "leaving her". I specifically remember before or after the credits of Chapter 4 when Jefferson shoots her the game saying "Thanks for crying". Uhhh no game, sure it was shocking but crying? No. So by the time I had to make the final decision it was a no brainer, Chloe dies so everyone else can live and we go back to the proper timeline. Although having to just watch Max cry while while you hear Chloe dying in the bathroom was rough.

• Global Moderator

I've been adding to or creating some topics to a few games. I just finished up the following batch.

Hitman Season One

Hyper Light Drifter

Inside

I missed the vast majority of second half games from 2016 and am catching up now. I have to say that my top 5 games would be a much bigger struggle if I had to vote again. At minimum, 1 of those 3 would get in.

Add to that, I loved Dishonored 2 & The Last Guardian also and I've still got some 2016 games to hit.

Really puts into perspective how good this year is too.

• 21/07/2017 - Injustice 2 (PS4) - 8/10

22/07/2017 - Street Fighter V - Character Stories (PS4) - 7/10

24/07/2017 - Street Fighter V - A Shadow Falls (PS4) - 7/10

• Yakuza 0

I can easily say it is the finest open world game I've ever played. I've posted a lot of impressions over the months so I'll keep it short, but as a newcomer to the series, this was an incredible experience. Goofy, emotional, brutal, and filled to the brim with interesting diversions, I fully understand why Huber brings it up on every Frame Trap. I'm sold on the rest of the franchise now thanks to this, bring on Kiwami!

9/10

• Titanfall 2

Superb game. The story is absolutely awful, but the relationship between the pilot and the titan was really charming. The gameplay is where this game truly shines though, it's absolutely brilliant. The mission variety for a shooter is really good, with brilliant shooting mechanics, and satisfying platforming. I played on the hardest difficulty for the trophies, and even though you will die a lot on this difficulty, apart from 1 really huge difficulty spike in the 1st real mission (which was more to do with me not being able to see the right route through the area), and a few other smaller ones, it wasn't overly difficult.

The multiplayer is also really, really great. It can take a while to get into games because there isn't a huge player base but once you're in it's really great. It's a massive shame EA sent this game out to die. It deserved better.

I'm not an FPS guy, but Doom is my favourite game of this generation, and Titanfall 2 is probably in the top 3 alongside Uncharted 4. If you're ever wondering whether you should take a risk and buy this game, or thinking to yourself that you'd like a shooter to play but can't decide what to get, I highly recommend this game.

9/10

• Pyre. I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Not Yakuza 0 GOTY level, but end of the year, I'd have to think real hard about whether I liked this or Persona 5 more.

• Got that Platinum Trophy in Kingdom Hearts II. Man, that took a while. Birth By Sleep is probably gonna take even longer, so I think a break may be needed before I go grinding away again, but I still love these games, KH2 is so jolly it was a pleasure to die relentlessly to the optional bosses.

• I finished Space Quest IV and also Resident Evil Survivor. I'm kind of keen to play more Space Quest, but I kind of want to move onto games I've yet to beat.

• Global Moderator

I completed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided last night and posted a few times on the general topic with thoughts.

The short version is I had a blast with the game and wish you didn't get the sense that a lot of things were taken out of it. If you like your 'immersive sims', it's absolutely worth playing.