Last game you finished

• Just finished up Ni No Kuni. I loved this game.. the world, characters, music and story were all really beautiful. There were aspects I didn't love, such as the combat system, and certain aspects began to feel repetitive after 40 or so hours.. but overall I had a great time playing through it.

I'm glad I decided to pick it up before 2 comes out.. now I'm really looking forward to it!

• Finished Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel as I had been meaning to play it forever. I wish I had skipped it. It's not a very good game.

• Global Moderator

I finished Megamans 7-10 via the Megaman Legacy Collection 2. I forgot how good these games are and sometimes difficult. Also the music! Why can't Capcom make good music like they use to.

• @Swordfish00830
    Youtube Video

Apples to oranges, but still...

• Resident Evil 7... in VR!

Although I've played all of the main entries to the series (besides 6 because well... I think it's okay to skip that one), I'd never say I truly loved any of the games besides 1 and 2. In terms of spooks, Silent Hill was always more successful in that department. After completing RE7, I can safely say... it's a step in the right direction, but still not exactly brilliant.

I can't properly describe how playing in VR adds to the tension and atmosphere. It took a few sessions to stop feeling nauseated but once I got used to it, it was smooth sailing. However, it's... not a very pretty game in VR. Some textures are downright bad and seeing a pixelated shadow would always kill a bit of the fear. It was kinda funny being able to poke my head around a corner, see absolutely nothing there, step forward while still looking in that direction, and suddenly see an enemy materialize out of thin air.

There's a lot I can just say is downright mediocre to bad about this one. Enemy variety is pitiful and the AI of the characters that chase you can be silly at times - walking in circles, staring directly at you but not "noticing" you, things like that. Combat as a whole is rather clunky, especially in VR - sometimes enemies would get so close to me, all I saw was a mass of flesh and had to hope the fire button was doing something.

Despite there being a lot of problems, I definitely had a lot of fun at the same time. It was my longest VR "experience" so far and there were a lot of moments that had me jump out of my chair or even occasionally, scream. Big step in the right direction for the franchise, I really hope they take the overall feel of this one and apply some more polish.

Fittingly, Resident Evil 7 is a...

7/10

• Finished Jack the Ripper DLC for AC: Syndicate with 100 % sync and all the trophies. That was a good story, I feel. Like an epilogue for the Frye twins 20 years after the main game. The mood was darker which fit the settings well. I liked the new fear mechanics: you get a fear bomb, a brutal beating and my favourite the spikes. It was every time satisfying to nail an enemy into the ground with a spike and scare off the surrounding enemies that way. (It was a U shaped thing that locked the enemy's arm into the ground, not lethal.)

• Finished Life is Strange last night while it had some good moments i dont quite get all the love it gets

• I finished Trails in the Sky FC and loved it. I've already talked about how I enjoyed the game around the forums and they all still apply. Fun combat and great characters with growth. The ending was great and makes me really want to jump into the second chapter but I am pacing myself. I definitely would get burnt out if I tried to jump into SC and the 3rd back to back. I'll get to it eventually and I am looking forward to it.

Jones' full playthrough stream of Plants Vs. Zombies made me want to go back and play it myself. That and watching Lost were my top 2 time wasters while hanging out in between classes at the college I commuted to. It was fun to go back and play it again, especially since it is a short easy full playthrough. I usually played a couple levels while cooking dinner or laying in bed before going to sleep.

• @Tragosaurus yea wait abit SC is like 60-80 hours

• @DisturbedSwan You gotta give me the skinny on Stories Untold. Your high score and the fact that i don't understand what the game actually is makes me curious. Its been sitting on my wishlist for too long.

Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy Ep.2 Not only do i like it more than the second film but it has my favorite scene in Telltale history in my opinion. Small spoiler ahead but i just say which character it involves and tease the scene cause i really want people to play it, i take spoilers seriously so it isn't explicit .

It's all Rocket Racoon and it goes there is all i'll say

• Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

That was a fun ride, but I wouldn't call it a classic either. Clocked in at about 60 hours.

Liked

• The combat system, it removes all the drag from slower JRPG combat systems without losing any of the strategy, it allows you to blow past mobs and still have epic, tactical fights against bosses. It will be hard to go back to pure old-school turn-based JRPGs after this.
    • The quality of life improvements such as the fast-forward also helped a lot, I probably would have enjoyed cerain parts of the game a lot less without it.
    • The ragtag group of heroes, even Vaan! I had nothing against him, he's clearly the audience stand-in. He's not great but I don't think he's meant to be. If anything, Penelo is the most useless character, she really doesn't bring anything to the story. And of course Balthier da real MVP.
    • The Hunts and optional quests. There was quite a lot of additional content and a semi-open world, I guess it took me by surprise since the last FF I played was XIII. I particularly liked the fact you could later revisit some locations and discover new paths, dig deeper into each place's lore, etc.
    • Gilgamesh!! What a fight! What a tune!! One of the highlights of the game.
    • The first half of the story, when the conflicts and motivations are still very personal and intimate...

Disliked

• The second half of the story, it becomes muddled and too large-scale and mystical to be relatable. And in the end, it's nothing more than the eternal "evil empire tries to conquer the world" trope. I expected more. Why can't a game come up with a story and character interactions on the level of something like Game of Thrones? Something darker, less fairytaley.
    • The game became wayyy too easy after I decided to do most of the Hunts. I was OP (without actually grinding) and blasted through the end game without even having to think. I even killed one of the very last bosses accidentally, I left the room for 30 seconds and forgot to pause, when I came back he was dead.

Overall this sated my thirst for a Final Fantasy game and I'm glad I finally played through this episode I'd been drawn to since it came out.

• @pinecone Ah well, I can't give too much away.

All I can say it's a text-based adventure game with some twists and turns along the way :)

• Finished up God of War 3.. I love those games and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one

It feels good to play something short for a change haha

• Global Moderator

I noticed I haven't posted here since finishing Deus Ex so I've got two more games to add to my completion list this year.

I posted more extensive thoughts of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice but the short version is that I think this game is absolutely worth playing and experiencing, with headphones!

And the other game I completed yesterday is Yakuza Zero. I wrote plenty of posts about it in the general topic. I know the series, I tried to play a little of 4 but it didn't grab me but people would not stop talking about this game. EZA, friends... and I loved hearing about it. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, even though I was sure I'd just be overwhelmed by everything in it and eventually think it was fine.

I'm delighted to say that I loved Zero. You do need to go in knowing that the tone is all over the place in terms of the contrast between a lot of the side stuff and the main story but if you're okay with that, you'll love it. It's a blast. The combat is fun, the side stories are hilarious, ridiculous and heartwarming and the main story is genuinely a really good mob story. I found myself really invested in these characters.

Now I'm invested in the series. I will pick up Kiwami and Kiwami 2 for sure.

• I saw (and destroyed credits) so... Rayman Legends? It feels weird to say I finished it since there's a whole other zone locked behind a ridiculous number of Teensies, but I'd still like to see it. Not gonna give this one a rating but it was a lot more fun than I was initially expecting. Those music stages at the end of each zone are a real treat.

• Global Moderator

@SabotageTheTruth Rayman Legends is so damn good that it makes me sad we haven't seen many more ubiart games.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    It's such a fun game indeed! The music stages are brilliant. I love what they did with the credits. Really creative! :)

I recently finished Horizon Zero Dawn. It's definitely a good game, but it didn't grab me as much as I'd have hoped. The world is beautiful and Aloy is a very good main character, but I just didn't "feel" anything for the other inhabitants of the world except for Aloy's father. I'm interested to see where they take the franchise and the story going forward.

• @SabotageTheTruth

Its such an easy game compared to Origins. I'd just finish it off, it honestly won't take long.

• @Sheria Is it? I've never played Origins, but I was playing a few of the stages they've included from Origins, and those seemed easier. Maybe it was just the ones that selected that felt easier? I only played a few as well so maybe they ramp up in difficulty.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Last game you finished:

@Sheria Is it? I've never played Origins, but I was playing a few of the stages they've included from Origins, and those seemed easier. Maybe it was just the ones that selected that felt easier? I only played a few as well so maybe they ramp up in difficulty.

The Origin levels in Legends are not representative of the proper levels. There are far more checkpoints