Last game you finished

• Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

That was a fun ride, but I wouldn't call it a classic either. Clocked in at about 60 hours.

Liked

• The combat system, it removes all the drag from slower JRPG combat systems without losing any of the strategy, it allows you to blow past mobs and still have epic, tactical fights against bosses. It will be hard to go back to pure old-school turn-based JRPGs after this.
    • The quality of life improvements such as the fast-forward also helped a lot, I probably would have enjoyed cerain parts of the game a lot less without it.
    • The ragtag group of heroes, even Vaan! I had nothing against him, he's clearly the audience stand-in. He's not great but I don't think he's meant to be. If anything, Penelo is the most useless character, she really doesn't bring anything to the story. And of course Balthier da real MVP.
    • The Hunts and optional quests. There was quite a lot of additional content and a semi-open world, I guess it took me by surprise since the last FF I played was XIII. I particularly liked the fact you could later revisit some locations and discover new paths, dig deeper into each place's lore, etc.
    • Gilgamesh!! What a fight! What a tune!! One of the highlights of the game.
    • The first half of the story, when the conflicts and motivations are still very personal and intimate...

Disliked

• The second half of the story, it becomes muddled and too large-scale and mystical to be relatable. And in the end, it's nothing more than the eternal "evil empire tries to conquer the world" trope. I expected more. Why can't a game come up with a story and character interactions on the level of something like Game of Thrones? Something darker, less fairytaley.
    • The game became wayyy too easy after I decided to do most of the Hunts. I was OP (without actually grinding) and blasted through the end game without even having to think. I even killed one of the very last bosses accidentally, I left the room for 30 seconds and forgot to pause, when I came back he was dead.

Overall this sated my thirst for a Final Fantasy game and I'm glad I finally played through this episode I'd been drawn to since it came out.

• @pinecone Ah well, I can't give too much away.

All I can say it's a text-based adventure game with some twists and turns along the way :)

• Finished up God of War 3.. I love those games and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one

It feels good to play something short for a change haha

• I noticed I haven't posted here since finishing Deus Ex so I've got two more games to add to my completion list this year.

I posted more extensive thoughts of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice but the short version is that I think this game is absolutely worth playing and experiencing, with headphones!

And the other game I completed yesterday is Yakuza Zero. I wrote plenty of posts about it in the general topic. I know the series, I tried to play a little of 4 but it didn't grab me but people would not stop talking about this game. EZA, friends... and I loved hearing about it. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, even though I was sure I'd just be overwhelmed by everything in it and eventually think it was fine.

I'm delighted to say that I loved Zero. You do need to go in knowing that the tone is all over the place in terms of the contrast between a lot of the side stuff and the main story but if you're okay with that, you'll love it. It's a blast. The combat is fun, the side stories are hilarious, ridiculous and heartwarming and the main story is genuinely a really good mob story. I found myself really invested in these characters.

Now I'm invested in the series. I will pick up Kiwami and Kiwami 2 for sure.

• I saw (and destroyed credits) so... Rayman Legends? It feels weird to say I finished it since there's a whole other zone locked behind a ridiculous number of Teensies, but I'd still like to see it. Not gonna give this one a rating but it was a lot more fun than I was initially expecting. Those music stages at the end of each zone are a real treat.

• @SabotageTheTruth Rayman Legends is so damn good that it makes me sad we haven't seen many more ubiart games.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    It's such a fun game indeed! The music stages are brilliant. I love what they did with the credits. Really creative! :)

I recently finished Horizon Zero Dawn. It's definitely a good game, but it didn't grab me as much as I'd have hoped. The world is beautiful and Aloy is a very good main character, but I just didn't "feel" anything for the other inhabitants of the world except for Aloy's father. I'm interested to see where they take the franchise and the story going forward.

• @SabotageTheTruth

Its such an easy game compared to Origins. I'd just finish it off, it honestly won't take long.

• @Sheria Is it? I've never played Origins, but I was playing a few of the stages they've included from Origins, and those seemed easier. Maybe it was just the ones that selected that felt easier? I only played a few as well so maybe they ramp up in difficulty.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Last game you finished:

@Sheria Is it? I've never played Origins, but I was playing a few of the stages they've included from Origins, and those seemed easier. Maybe it was just the ones that selected that felt easier? I only played a few as well so maybe they ramp up in difficulty.

The Origin levels in Legends are not representative of the proper levels. There are far more checkpoints

• I honestly don't remember Origins being any more difficult than Legends. I guess chasing after the chests was more difficult but the music levels in Legends are so damn good.

• Life is Strange - Before the Storm EP1

I loved it. I'm going to hold off for a little while before going into detail, simply because it's so new. It definitely holds up to the quality of the original though.

• Luigi's Mansion

I find old tech demos kind of neat, but this isn't even really that. The scope, the amount of things you do, the amount that it asks of the player is so small. It's a mediocre pop-up book, asking to be leafed through. Pull this tab, turn this page.

I appreciate the doll's-house aesthetic, but the rooms are samey, and not just in their looks, but in their conclusions. Even the elemental powers meant to spice up the gameplay are underused and functionally identical. There's little way to transform or interact with this environment apart for sucking up dolla dolla bills y'all. It ain't scary or funny or surprising; I don't see the point of it.

• Hellblade

7.5/10

I love what the game does, and I really liked the story, there were a few moments were the design was a bit frustrating, and I think it could have done with a little more variety in certain areas, but very solid overall, definitively recommend, keep making more like this.

• Watch Dogs 2
    I enjoyed the game but it didn't have as big of an impact as I remember the first one having. It could have been that it was new and this was just more of the same, but I felt like there was less things to hack when driving to escape pursuers and most of the missions were so-so. One a side note I can not wait for games to be at a point where a Burning Man equivalent will have more than 10 NPCs in the whole area. I completely checked out at that point because they didn't even try.

Dark Cloud 2
    Not a great game but I had fun for the first 80% of it due to the nostalgia. It has some cool ideas and such but the writing is terrible and it gets real repetitive. I would still love to see what a PS4 sequel would look like. I had to finish the fight though so rewatching Game of Thrones while playing that last 20% helped a lot.

• Myst - 8/10

It's great! This was one I missed back in the day, and it was a lot of fun to play through and write stuff down and all that. I really like the way the game looks, I like it's surreal puzzle logic, I like how pleasant and slightly off-putting the atmosphere is. The story is simple, but it smartly starts as baffling and develops into something straightforward and understandable.

I have a couple of minor gripes (screen direction is wonky at times, Selenitic Age isn't anywhere near as good as the others), but I suppose my biggest complaint is that the game's areas are much more interesting unsolved. Being dropped into a new area, being completely perplexed how everything works and slowly putting things together is great, it just doesn't lead to anything very transformative or satisfying once you've figured it out, in my opinion. You just get spat out and maybe run back to grab a page for the other colored book. Myst Island itself is so cool, and I don't think any of the ages match its mystery and elasticity.

But yeah, hey, it's real good.

• I beat Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (General Topic) the other day.

The short of it is that it's a fantastic Uncharted game. I would say the early parts are a bit more experimental with the bigger open area and then after that it's pure traditional Uncharted (in a good way). They've really put everything they've learned into making a great mini blockbuster.

Makes me so excited on what we'll see with TLoU2

• Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader - 5/10

It's alright. It's technically very impressive, and puts a lot of its attention into making it feel like you're a part of the films. The sound design, the integration of footage, all the Star Wars iconography---it's all very faithful.

It's just short and weirdly underwhelming. Every mission is ten minutes or less long and shooting down TIE fighters feels like picking gnats off a fruit salad. The Battle of Hoth: shoot these walkers, trip these walkers, shoot a couple of bombers; nice, you're done in 7 minutes. None of these missions feel like ordeals, just tasks that you're expected to re-do, optimize in order to unlock more fan service. The closest the game gets to greatness is the battle of Endor, which looks fantastic, has the greatest amount of ships, and feels kinda like a battle; there's struggle and urgency.

I've heard the third game isn't as good as the first two, so I'm just going to bypass it entirely.

• Mine’s Titanfall 2 right now.

• @Ringedwithtile The third game had the entirety of Rogue Leader playable as a splitscreen co-op mode, which was a very cool addition. For the main game, there was a lot of experimental mission design in addition to aerial combat, such as AT-ST levels, Speeder Bike sequences, and on-foot missions. Although these missions weren't all that great objectively, I really enjoyed it back when. However, if you're lukewarm on Rogue Leader, I doubt you'd enjoy Rebel Strike all that much.