Last game you finished

• Sam & Max Hit the Road - 7/10

It's really funny. I was super impressed by the strength of the comedic writing and the performances, it has something strange or hilarious to say so often it's nearly unfair to other games. The vocal performances are timed and edited really well too; too often in these games there's dead air or awkward pacing in conversation, and this game does a hell of a job setting up its asides and punch-lines and interruptions. I think Sam and Max are a really great pair, and make maneuvering the game itself a real joy.

But as for the game itself... it's okay? Other Lucasarts adventures from its time and before (Monkey Island, Indy and Atlantis, The Day of the Tentacle) do a lot more with adventure game structure and mechanics. The constant railroading and nonsensical item uses and the like are maybe tougher here than in other games because of how wacky the world itself is. One thing I did like was that it has a pretty narrow scope compared to some of their other games that always seemed a bit too large or overcrowded for my liking (Tentacle and Monkey Island 2).

So I really dug it. It definitely has my vote for funniest Lucasarts title, though I have a few left to play.

• @Sheria Yeah I saw that I could do that, but I would feel bad! Maybe if the last one or two are too much of a pain to get...

• Kingsway

I was honestly surprised by this game. I figured it would rely extremely heavily on the gimmick of manipulating the fake UI of an old operating system, but that was just dressing to a very well made game. Since it's a roguelite RPG, you do run into very similar encounters and there's only a handful of proper quests in the game that quickly repeat, but the presentation and the core dopamine rush of leveling up help to alleviate the feel of a grind. I only happened to get one of the 5 endings as a rogue, which may be my favorite class, due to the ability to stun-lock enemies if you hit with a critical. There's still a lot more to experiment with on this game (the alternate endings, "hard" mode, different classes) but I feel comfortable hanging this one on the shelf for a bit. Highly recommend if you've got a spare $10 to spare.

8.5/10

• I've finished a few just recently, but it's all been replays. It's pretty clear I've been on my Snes mini quite a bit.

Donkey Kong Country - A real classic, and my personal favourite of all them.

Super Mario RPG - I own all Paper Mario games, as well as all the M&L games. As good as they all are though, I still believe this is the best combination of Mario and an RPG. Squaresoft's magic touch still shines through.

Super Mario World - Only a straight forward run to Bowser; no extras. This is still my favourite 2D Mario game.

Contra 3 - I've only ever played and beaten the PAL version 'Super Probotector', so I fancied another go here. Still a very tough game, but I didn't struggle too much.

Silent Hill 2 (PS3) - I only did the one run for the 'under 3 hours' trophy back when I bought the HD collection in 2012, mostly because I'd played the game to death before anyway. I went back to it yesterday and completed it twice more for two more endings (Leave & UFO). I might do more actually because, despite how many times I have beaten it, I've never actually done a 10 star run and I fancy ticking that challenge off my list.

• Global Moderator

Just finished "Golf Story" on the Nintendo Switch. If you love Golf this will be your kind of game. Since some of the side quests involve a lot of skills as a golfer. Which was good for me since I could use help with certain things like putting and accounting for wind. If your curious as even a casual golf video game fan it's worth picking up.

• Global Moderator

Ratchet & Clank - Finished it over the weekend. Honestly felt great to play a R&C game again and I haven't looked into it too much but it felt like I was playing a lot of new stuff. That or my memory is completely gone. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the weapons leveling up. I always just liked it when they leveled up to something new as opposed to some stat boosts. So it is at least nice once they get to level 5 that they do get a new version.

It's on sale a decent bit so it's definitely worth picking up if you're looking for an action platformer.

• Wolfenstein New Order solid shooter, lot of fun, world and story and characters were meh. I know they wanted us to feel for the characters, but I didn't care for anyone and I played it purely for the fun gameplay

• I beat a A Hat In Time a few days ago. I decided to try and 100%, which isn't something I do very often. I don't like stressing out over completion, but I really loved this game and I want more.

• I loved Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle more than I ever thought I would.

• Over the weekend, I gorged myself on "A Hat in Time." I usually take my time with games, but here I pushed aside real life for a couple days to 100% the game. I've been anticipating this game for three years now, but it somehow managed to exceed my expectations.

Playing AHIT felt like playing a game from my childhood for the first time. It is a really strange feeling to have nostalgia for something you are playing for the first time, but that is what happened. While a lot of other games that prey on nostalgia make "another version of that thing you grew up with," A Hat in Time is a "new game that is like how you remember these old games being." The emotions and memories you associate with Mario Sunshine and Psychonauts - the joy of exploration, the whimsical characters and scenarios, the jolly setting, the sheer fun of jumping around - can be found here, rather than actual characters, settings, or concepts being reused. It's like Shovel Knight, but for those of us who grew up with N64s and Gamecubes rather than NESs.

It's the best 3D platformer in over a decade, which admittedly isn't that big a feat considering that the genre hasn't seen a good entry since 2007 (Galaxy), and the collect-a-thon hasn't seen a good one since 2005 (Psychonauts), but still. It may not have the polish of a Sunshine, but it has heart, soul, and charm that puts even most of Nintendo's games to shame at times. I HIGHLY recommend it to anybody who grew up loving the 3D mascot platformer. AHAT is realistically only going to be behind Zelda and Mario for my GOTY, and any other year it would be my top picl

• Just finished Sonic Mania on the Switch. I'm late to the party, but I just want to reiterate how fresh and wonderful this game feels. They pushed Sonic to be faster without sacrificing the challenge and player input, and the result is a vibrant and joyful jaunt through creative twists on the classic formula. Platforming magic!

• I just bought a PS4 from my friend and finished The last of Us remastered. It was my first time playing the game and it was great, but I cannot escape the feeling that 'zombie fatigue' kinda took something out of it. Gameplay was fun, simple and brutal but the story was mediocre. It's the same story as ALL of the zombie movies. Despite that I greatly enjoyed the game and will definitely check out part II.

• Metroid: Samus Returns.

Mercury Steam did the 2D Metroid games proud with this one. Will replay in Hard Mode in the near future, I imagine.

• Also finished Metroid: Samus Returns over the weekend, 100%, 14 hours. I'm surprised it was such a long game! Excellent remake, but it doesn't feel like a step forward for the series, it merely brings the gameplay up to modern standards. I didn't have huge expectations for it so I'm satisfied, it was an enjoyable trek but if there's ever a new 2D Metroid game, I'll expect more from it.

I also finished Rayman Legends on Switch, I had never played it before so I finally get what the fuss was about, it's definitely up there with the very best 2D platformers. Very creative levels and gameplay, sometimes a bit too much for its own good, some levels are very confusing at first, and some of the harder optional challenges are downright insane. I 100% all the Legends content and I'm now going through the Origins ones. Are all the levels from Origins in there or just a selection? It sure looks like they're all there, there's a lot!

• @Galaxy40k I totally agree! It's so awesome to see other people taking about A Hat in Time on the forums. I knew I was going to enjoy it since I loved the beta and followed the dev updated religiously and liked everything I saw, but it was just so cool to finally play the game. It was also really surreal to see all the ways the game had changed since the Beta, from Trainwreck of Science becoming Battle of the Birds, to chapter 2 and 3 being switched, to Sand and Sails becoming Alpine Skyline (but retaining it's residents which I was very pleased with), to even the changes in badges and hats. It's just been awesome to see how much the game has evolved and to feel like you really grew and changed with the game.

• Global Moderator

I ended up playing "London Heist" as well as "Scavenger's Odyssey" over the weekend. Some really great VR experiences for the playstation. I did however have a hard time to take London Heist serious and ended up mostly fooling around and giggling to myself interacting with objects in the enviornment. I did have a lot of fun with it and even though it was short it had some good head tracking and acurate shooting.

Scavenger's Odyssey was... interesting. A bit horror sci-fy style game. This was fun and had some fun jumping and shooting. I had however already speant a couple of hours with the VR headset on, so my neck started to get tired and my head got a bit dissy. I finished it without paying too much attention towards the end and might go back to it in the future when Im more rested

• Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Finally after more than 10 years in hiatus i finally beat this game, the battle started on my old ps2 fat and now it's finished.

i can say it's way easier with the zodiac jobs than the old license system.

• I finally finished (well on my terms at least) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild earlier this month!
    It's been a while since I've done one but here's my concise analysis.

alt text

Key Facts

• Platform – Nintendo Switch
    • Genre – Open World RPG
    • Playtime – 70+ Hours
    • “Beaten?” – Enough for me (Main quest and lots of side quests completed)
    • Date Beaten – 10th October 2017
    • Platinum Trophy Unlock – N/A

The really good stuff

• Takes the Zelda formula and reinvents it for modern open world gaming and also manages to reinvent open world gaming in the process.
    • Has a truly open world, apart from at the very extremes of the world map everything you can see can be accessed in some way.
    • Great ways to travel around the world that all work together. Being able to climb on almost all surfaces is very freeing.
    • Weapon breaking means you are constantly cycling your inventory having to change your tactics accordingly.
    • The world design is spot on there is so many great things to see and do. The game is full of surprises. Lots of strong visual landmarks guide the player through the environment and lead them off the critical path.
    • The story is what the player makes of it. The main thread is presented in a simple manner but the player’s personal journey adds to and enhances it.
    • The different environment types have their unique challenges to overcome and memorable characters. Each area of the map has its own feel and all of them lived in vibe.
    • This is a game that manages to keep throwing surprises at you. You’ll have a an idea to try reaching somewhere on the map or try combining a weird combination of systems and the game rewards you accordingly.

Possible improvements

• Enemy variety becomes an issue around the halfway mark. There are a lot of enemies but most are just recoloured tougher versions of monsters you’ve already encountered, many, many, times.
    • Felt like there could have been more giant monsters especially ones tied to areas like the sand whale/shark things in the desert. Tying these into some sort of hunting system across the game would incentivise seeking them out a bit more too.
    • There is a weird inverse difficulty curve to the game. At first it is an almost Dark Souls/Bloodborne cycle of learning through death but by the end game when you have fully equipped yourself most encounters are a cakewalk.
    • Tutorials and tips feel like they always come too late or after the player has figured out a system during the course of play. Many are also missable, learning to cook properly was a google job for me because I hadn’t come across the right book in the right shack to learn how to do it in game.
    • The dungeons are tightly designed puzzles but they felt empty and lacking in character especially when compared to ones in previous Zelda games.
    • While the shrines are a welcome distraction that make up for the more streamlined dungeons the do get a tad repetitive after a while. Especially the combat trial ones….

What is the core of the game?

• Redefining the Zelda experience for a new era.
    • Have a strong set of systems that are interconnected and work with/against each other based on the players actions and responses.
    • Leave the player to set their own goals within the framework of the game and encourage them to deviate from the path and really explore the game world.

What did the game mean to me?

• This was a beautiful game to have the pleasure of enjoying. It does so much right that it totally outweighs any shortcomings the game has for me. It is hard to put into words how invested I got in this game’s world, story and characters.

Key Takeaway

• Sometimes throwing away an established formula and building a new one from the core tenants of a franchise can really pay off.
    • Also if something looks slightly out of place there is probably a Korok hiding under it.

Rating
    5 out of 5

• Destiny 2

I've beaten the story 3 times, one per character (Titan, Hunter, Warlock). And platinum the game. Beaten the Raid 7 times. Although I cheesed 2 of those boss completions. One just for the hell of it. And the other for a few reasons.

Still trying to figure out just how many hours have I poured into this game a little more than a month after release. Its certainly well over 100 hours by now. Gotten almost all of the good guns to use. Just need to finish getting exotic armors, purple mods. And start focusing on creating multiple organized builds for my 3 characters. Now that they all have maxed out at 305 power.

• As of 30 min ago or so, I beat Demon's Souls. First Souls game I've beat.