Last game you finished

• Phantasy Star IV

Masterpiece, I put it on par with Chrono Trigger, FFVI, and Lunar. Ties the whole series together.

• F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

Pretty decent F-Zero game. The gameplay is pretty musch the same as F-Zero on the SNES but I like that it has no returning characters and tracks.
    It looks really good for a GBA game. The music is decent though not as good as other games in the franchise. The track design is great. It is hard as fuck.
    I think the controls could be better and I don't like quickly your vehicle can go to a full stop after a collision. If it wasn't for that I'd say it's almost as good as the SNES original.

• John Woo's Stranglehold - I haven't touched this game since 2009. It's geat to play it again. One of the best 3rd person shooters of last gen. Better than Max Payne 3., and I liked MP3.

Superhot - It's a fun puzzle shooter, but the y should have charged $15, instead of $25.00

• Finished Yakuza Kiwami.

• Rise of the tomb raider (PS4), i wish i played it in 2016 because now it feels kinda outdated, but still it is a good game overall.

• @a7x458 said in Last game you finished:

Rise of the tomb raider (PS4), i wish i played it in 2016 because now it feels kinda outdated, but still it is a good game overall.

Outdated how exactly?

• @sheria it felt to me like i was playing the first game but with better graphics, plus i was playing in survival mode (hard mode) and the game felt way to easy(poison arrows are way to OP).

• Was sick today, ran through Tales from the Borderlands.

• The Talos Principle

Good fun puzzles, the interactions and questions from the computer was fascinating, working out why you were there and what had happened to the wider world from the emails and such was great. But it most definitely isn't for everyone.

• Divinity Original Sin 2. It took me 110 hours and it was glorious! The overall plot wasn't all that interesting, but the characters kept it all going. The way you can customize your party, the crafting, the quests and the combat system all just make for a fantastic game. I've started a second playthrough which I'm already 15 hours into. Oh boy will I be leeching on this game for a long time...

• Shadow of the Colossus

I shared some of my impressions in another thread, so I'll try to keep my rant short.

When I judge the quality of a game these days I try to look back and analyze how it mad me feel throughout, rather than its "objective" qualities or flaws. In this case, what I felt was frustration and boredom throughout. I almost never had fun, the story didn't touch me (it's only a beginning and an end with nothing in between, so it's hard to feel anything for any of these characters), I never felt clever or skilled.

Pretty much how I felt about The Last Guardian (although in retrospect I liked that one more).

I seriously don't understand what people see in these games, and will definitely stay away from any Team Ico games in the future.

• DOOM (2016)

Long time coming for me to finally finish off this one. I noticed my hard drive was starting to get full so I decided to tackle the largest game available... DOOM at nearly 80 gigs. I basically pulled an Ian with this game - loved it when it released, got to the first stage of Hell, and quit.

So as a unique fan of the franchise (I prefer 1 over 2 and have never played 3), I think this is an excellent sequel to keep that legacy alive and well. It's still fast and frantic (and packed with secrets) but there's enough modern touches to the design to keep things feeling fresh. I will admit, if you play multiple levels back to back, it does feel like it's lacking a little in variety... It's basically large arena fight, followed by a little exploration, followed by another arena fight, etc. That's not to say every fight feels similar... the map design is pretty good but even in the first DOOM, I didn't quite see the formula as prominently.

I mostly play FPSs for their story, atmosphere, and setting, and I play DOOM for none of that. It felt good to shoot a demon in the face back in the day with a shotgun and it still feels great.

• Golf Story

This one I liked! Very solid and satisfying core gameplay, the simple act of golfing never gets boring across its 15+ hour campaign (I was surprised it was that long!).

There's also a nice variety of challenges and small quests, all based on that one game mechanic, the devs really manage to stretch the concept as far as it could go.

The story is a classic zero-to-hero tale, with just enough character arc to keep it interesting. The humour is very tongue-in-cheek, not everything lands but it keeps the proceedings light-hearted enough to match the silliness of its premise.

A great example of what RPGs can be without having to throw elves and orcs at us!

• Went back to and finished Killer is Dead. A true hidden gem of last generation and perfect for those who like games such as Metal Gear Rising.

• Resident Evil: DC PS1 (Advanced/Jill/Save Chris)

• Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

I have just witnessed one of the most insane experiences I will ever come across in any form of media. My brain just keeps processing, "whatthefuck," ad nauseam as I try to digest what just happened, but for the sake of eloquence and returning to some form of rational thought, let me try to break down my feelings on this one, without resorting to spoilers.

I instantly liked the different vibe this game initially gave off, but once the killing began, I was honestly underwhelmed. Nothing about the first few cases really shocked me or hit me as hard as events from the first game - that was probably due to the claustrophobic nature of the first, coupled with it being the first game of this type of genre I've ever played.

It was about midway through the game that it started to shift for me. Not only were the scenarios getting much stranger and more complex, but I found myself actually loving nearly all of the remaining cast members - which is of course, a bit of problem considering some of them need to die. At the last murder, I was fully invested in a way I hadn't been with the first game. This second outing had dared to be much more strange and twisted and as all those payoffs and discoveries hit, I become more dumbfounded and enamored. The last chapter hits you full force with every bit of insanity it can possibly muster and still has huge revelations to smack you over the head with.

I liked the first game a lot for how different it felt from everything else I've played (plus vibes/atmosphere, etc.) but the second game has turned that like into a love and sent it shooting into the stratosphere. Absolutely perfect sequel that finds several ways to improve upon the original, while still tying into the main storyline. Playing this series has been one of the best decisions I've made all year, no hyperbole.

• Vagrant Story

It's been about a decade since I beat it last, but I'm still only mildly fond of the game, and definitely don't believe it's the masterpiece some people herald it to be. To be fair though, I truly hated it when I first bought it at release. Its wonderful cover art and Squaresoft logo admittedly drew me in, but it didn't (and still doesn't to be honest) hold up with the other games they threw out on the PS1. It wasn't until about 6 years later that I went back in and appreciated it a lot more.

There's a lot praise to give to Vagrant Story, but it is its flaws that stand out most to me, worst of all being the ridiculously limited inventory space, which is literally in conflict and fights against other parts of the game's design. The pressure to consistently alter your gear and weapons to suit each individual situation/enemy is also a chore, something they could have alleviated with a more intuitive quick-swap system, but didn't. Then there's the core RPG system, which admittedly isn't very complex, but is clearly unnecessarily convoluted. The story is alright, but certainly doesn't reach the epic heights I was used to from your typical Square RPG. It also doesn't seem complete or fleshed out as much as it should be, something that was actually confirmed by Matsuno, with about half of the story being cut apparently. A final, and personal issue though is that damn archaic dialect, it's annoying to read and as far as I'm concerned, completely unnecessary; no-one who was going to play this game has ever talked like that, and it's not like the game is going for any kind of historical accuracy here.

A lot of negativity, I know, but at the end of the day, it's actually still a really good game, and I highly recommend it if people passed it by back in the day.

• Gravity Rush 6.5/10

I had played a fair amount of it before but hadn't actually finished it, now that I have I think that the game has some cool things, but the overall mechanics and especially the combat is not that good, and the game is overall much worse by the fact that there's so little variety when it comes down to what you do in the different missions, I think it would have been much better being either shorter or otherwise being a lot more varied.

• Global Moderator

Monster Hunter: World - You dont really finish this game, but I have gotten to the credits finally and I feel like this is a game that either grows on you or you go of it completely. The grinding and finding new monsters were carrot enough for me to continue whilst it made some of my friends hard quit.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I really liked this, feel like I need to replay it though as I missed some stuff and had a too long break between episode 2 and 3. I feel like this is a game everyone should play. However if you havent played the first game, you need to do that first which I also feel are the better game

• Mindshadow.

I plugged in my ZX Spectrum last week to play a few things. I completed Mindshadow, which is a graphical text adventure I always enjoyed when I was younger. Hopefully I'll be polishing off few more Spectrum games, it's a good opportunity to knock some of them off my backlog.