Last game you finished

• DOOM (2016)

Long time coming for me to finally finish off this one. I noticed my hard drive was starting to get full so I decided to tackle the largest game available... DOOM at nearly 80 gigs. I basically pulled an Ian with this game - loved it when it released, got to the first stage of Hell, and quit.

So as a unique fan of the franchise (I prefer 1 over 2 and have never played 3), I think this is an excellent sequel to keep that legacy alive and well. It's still fast and frantic (and packed with secrets) but there's enough modern touches to the design to keep things feeling fresh. I will admit, if you play multiple levels back to back, it does feel like it's lacking a little in variety... It's basically large arena fight, followed by a little exploration, followed by another arena fight, etc. That's not to say every fight feels similar... the map design is pretty good but even in the first DOOM, I didn't quite see the formula as prominently.

I mostly play FPSs for their story, atmosphere, and setting, and I play DOOM for none of that. It felt good to shoot a demon in the face back in the day with a shotgun and it still feels great.

• Golf Story

This one I liked! Very solid and satisfying core gameplay, the simple act of golfing never gets boring across its 15+ hour campaign (I was surprised it was that long!).

There's also a nice variety of challenges and small quests, all based on that one game mechanic, the devs really manage to stretch the concept as far as it could go.

The story is a classic zero-to-hero tale, with just enough character arc to keep it interesting. The humour is very tongue-in-cheek, not everything lands but it keeps the proceedings light-hearted enough to match the silliness of its premise.

A great example of what RPGs can be without having to throw elves and orcs at us!

• Went back to and finished Killer is Dead. A true hidden gem of last generation and perfect for those who like games such as Metal Gear Rising.

• Resident Evil: DC PS1 (Advanced/Jill/Save Chris)

• Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

I have just witnessed one of the most insane experiences I will ever come across in any form of media. My brain just keeps processing, "whatthefuck," ad nauseam as I try to digest what just happened, but for the sake of eloquence and returning to some form of rational thought, let me try to break down my feelings on this one, without resorting to spoilers.

I instantly liked the different vibe this game initially gave off, but once the killing began, I was honestly underwhelmed. Nothing about the first few cases really shocked me or hit me as hard as events from the first game - that was probably due to the claustrophobic nature of the first, coupled with it being the first game of this type of genre I've ever played.

It was about midway through the game that it started to shift for me. Not only were the scenarios getting much stranger and more complex, but I found myself actually loving nearly all of the remaining cast members - which is of course, a bit of problem considering some of them need to die. At the last murder, I was fully invested in a way I hadn't been with the first game. This second outing had dared to be much more strange and twisted and as all those payoffs and discoveries hit, I become more dumbfounded and enamored. The last chapter hits you full force with every bit of insanity it can possibly muster and still has huge revelations to smack you over the head with.

I liked the first game a lot for how different it felt from everything else I've played (plus vibes/atmosphere, etc.) but the second game has turned that like into a love and sent it shooting into the stratosphere. Absolutely perfect sequel that finds several ways to improve upon the original, while still tying into the main storyline. Playing this series has been one of the best decisions I've made all year, no hyperbole.

• Vagrant Story

It's been about a decade since I beat it last, but I'm still only mildly fond of the game, and definitely don't believe it's the masterpiece some people herald it to be. To be fair though, I truly hated it when I first bought it at release. Its wonderful cover art and Squaresoft logo admittedly drew me in, but it didn't (and still doesn't to be honest) hold up with the other games they threw out on the PS1. It wasn't until about 6 years later that I went back in and appreciated it a lot more.

There's a lot praise to give to Vagrant Story, but it is its flaws that stand out most to me, worst of all being the ridiculously limited inventory space, which is literally in conflict and fights against other parts of the game's design. The pressure to consistently alter your gear and weapons to suit each individual situation/enemy is also a chore, something they could have alleviated with a more intuitive quick-swap system, but didn't. Then there's the core RPG system, which admittedly isn't very complex, but is clearly unnecessarily convoluted. The story is alright, but certainly doesn't reach the epic heights I was used to from your typical Square RPG. It also doesn't seem complete or fleshed out as much as it should be, something that was actually confirmed by Matsuno, with about half of the story being cut apparently. A final, and personal issue though is that damn archaic dialect, it's annoying to read and as far as I'm concerned, completely unnecessary; no-one who was going to play this game has ever talked like that, and it's not like the game is going for any kind of historical accuracy here.

A lot of negativity, I know, but at the end of the day, it's actually still a really good game, and I highly recommend it if people passed it by back in the day.

• Gravity Rush 6.5/10

I had played a fair amount of it before but hadn't actually finished it, now that I have I think that the game has some cool things, but the overall mechanics and especially the combat is not that good, and the game is overall much worse by the fact that there's so little variety when it comes down to what you do in the different missions, I think it would have been much better being either shorter or otherwise being a lot more varied.

• Global Moderator

Monster Hunter: World - You dont really finish this game, but I have gotten to the credits finally and I feel like this is a game that either grows on you or you go of it completely. The grinding and finding new monsters were carrot enough for me to continue whilst it made some of my friends hard quit.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I really liked this, feel like I need to replay it though as I missed some stuff and had a too long break between episode 2 and 3. I feel like this is a game everyone should play. However if you havent played the first game, you need to do that first which I also feel are the better game

• Mindshadow.

I plugged in my ZX Spectrum last week to play a few things. I completed Mindshadow, which is a graphical text adventure I always enjoyed when I was younger. Hopefully I'll be polishing off few more Spectrum games, it's a good opportunity to knock some of them off my backlog.

• I played through Resident Evil 2. Claire A / Leon B.

• A big one... The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

Pretty much an open-world masterpiece. Not sure whether I'll jump into the DLCs straight away, but for sure a game I'm gonna keep coming back to again and again. Huber is so right when he's talking up those side-quests!

I've downloaded Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, so it's next on the list if I manage to find any time between rounds of Fortnite!

• I picked up Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition a while back, so I finally played all the DLCs in a row. Mixed bag!

• Banned Footage Vol. 1

In there we got Nightmare, some sort of rogue-like action scenario taking place in the basement. At first I thought I would hate it but I actually got into it and finished it after a few tries. The mechanics are simple: you start off with nothing but can craft items (weapons, ammo, healing, and upgrade everything). In order to craft you need to gather scrap that's generated by machines scattered around the area, so you have to run back and forth between them, collect scrap, go craft more stuff, and so on, all the while fighting enemies that keep spawning. You can also craft traps in preset spots, and there's a "boss fight" at the end of each wave.

Bedroom is the highlight though, it's pretty much an "escape room" in videogame form (funny how that's gone full circle). You're trapped by Marguerite and must find a way out by exploring the room, picking up items, combining them, solving puzzles, etc. Some are pretty tricky and it will definitely keep you busy for at least an hour on your first try. Adding to the stress is the fact Marguerite will come back to check up on you once in a while, and when she does you have to make sure to put everything back in place so she doesn't realize you've been poking around. Leave a drawer open or forget to put a painting back on the wall and she'll find out and kill you. Those moments are super scary as you never know if you got it all right.

• Banned Footage Vol. 2

Daughters is a prequel to the game in which you play as Zoe and follow the events of the arrival of Eveline in the family. It's not very long but effective since you're totally helpless. There's two endings and getting the good one requires a lot more work!

21, I loved it!! It's pretty much a "Saw" scenario in which you wake up sitting at a table, your hand trapped in a contraption with mini-guillotines for each of your fingers. Across the table is another prisoner in the same situation. And you're forced to play a simplified version of Blackjack against each other. Every time you lose, one or more of your fingers get chopped off in a very graphic and disturbing way. Simple but addictive, I ended up playing the "Survival" modes too and beating them.

• Not a Hero

Set right after the events of the main game, more action-focused, it was fun but didn't wow me. There are cool moments but the design of some parts is very obscure and frustrating, it's not always clear where to go or how certain things are supposed to work (the turrets for example).

• End of Zoe

Also set after the game, story-wise it adds a few nice touches, and the gameplay is stupid fun! You're punching zombies, there are simple combos to perform, stealth kills, it was enjoyable while it lasted!

Overall none of the DLC is really essential or amazing, the stand-outs for me are Bedroom and 21.

• As usual, I finished a game and then just kept on finishing others before writing anything, so here we go.

Persona 5 - I'll probably write more on the general topic. TLDR: fantastic game, had a blast pretty much all the way through and easily one of the best JRPGs I've played. Only thing that really bothered me was when the flashbacks/flashforwards/present/whatever all combined. Some of the story beats there, I absolutely despised but the same thing applies when it's used in other forms of media too. It's just silly and annoying. Any other issues were very minor.

Titanfall 2 - When purchasing my PC, this was one of the games I wanted to get to mess around with more FPS games and once it was like $5-6 on amazon, I was all in. After going thrugh 100 hours of Persona, this was pretty perfect and an absolute blast. I loved playing as the pilot, jumping around, dashing into characters, just that quick pace is so fun. I found the titan's to kinda slow the game down a bit. This improved a bit more towards the end but maybe that's because I just got more used to them.I'd also say the boss fights were a a bit.. unmemorable but the bosses themselves were great. Loved how weird they all were. Obviously the time level was very cool (And very odd that Dishonored 2 did a similar thing) but I loved a section where you're escaping with that tracking pistol. Again, does everything I love in the game with constantly on the go and quickly dispatching people. It's like playing what could have been a good Mirror's Edge.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - And speaking of Dishonored, I picked up the dlc around the same time and it was another game that's just great. I've mentioned before that I love stealth games and ones like these that really give you that freedom, just amazing. Again it is more of the same but they do one really cool thing by adding jobs to every mission so you have other quests that you can do if you want. You kinda had these before but now these are very much their own thing and while I didn't care at all for the rewards, I loved looking around to complete these objectives. Definitely recommended if you're into the series.

Let it Die... okay this is cheating. I only played it for 1-2 hours but that's enough for me to know that I'm finished with the game. That may come across as negative but it's more that I missed the boat with this one. There are so many games I've got to play and no one I know is really playing this. I thought it started off very well and I could see if you had a few friends climbing and talking about it, it'd be very fun. But for me, right now, I saw the loop in the game and realised I didn't really want to invest only to come to a section where I'd probably be frustrated.

Dead Space A series that I really wanted to get into for a long time and must have got for free or really cheap a long time ago on steam. I played Dead Space 3 on PS+ and I think it's pretty awful (co-op makes it bearable) but I knew that was a far cry from the rest of the series. But I'll admit that it's not as much of a stretch as I was expecting. As a huge fan of Alien Isolation, I was expecting the game to start pretty slowly but you actually start fighting pretty much 10 minutes into the game. So I was a little surprised that it is more survival action rather than horror, I was thinking Dead Space 2 is where it'd get more action but I'd argue the shift from 1 to 2 isn't that massive. Anyway, the game still does a great job at making situations intense. I absolutely adore the lack of a HUD, that's one of my favourite things. The sound effects are a little hit and miss. There were a few times I thought a monster was let's say to my left due to sound but it was actually in front of me. I found that happened more often than I'd like but the creaks and atmosphere sounds are great.

Dead Space 2 - Went straight into 2 after and poor Isaac does not get a break. I'm probably in the camp where Dead Space 2 is a better game. I no longer had expectations on how action packed or horror like the game was going to be after playing 1 & 2. A lot of the jank and feel from the original game has been removed. Actually floating around in zero gravity feels a lot better. Switching between point of interest trying to find something was a nice QoL change, while not being used too much and the game does a great job with nostalgia which is surprising considering it's not exactly a massive gap in the series and you know.. making a very colourless environment memorable is very cool. People who played the game, know what I'm talking about. It did make me realise the effect Uncharted 2 had on the industry, the game does have a lot more of those Set piece type situations which I attribute to that game. Oh, one last thing regarding both games, stomping things feels great and it's hilarious how much you could mutilate a body, completely ridiculous. Good series, you do not need to go beyond this point! :)

Majora's Mask 3DS - Oh boy, this one has been a long time coming. I think I've posted about it 2-3 times over on the what are you playing topic. Now with job and regular commute, I was digging into it a lot more. So I'm pretty sure my last post was on how annoyed I was with the 2nd 'area' and how I'd no time to do the race quest and strengthen my sword. Then I found out you just had to beat the boss and you could work from there so that was nice. Now I've finally completed the game and as usual with something this long, it's tough to say how much I actually like it in comparison to the rest of the series. I think the 3DS version is great as you can get some hints in game if you want and a lot of the information on times and events is stored in your notebook. I really liked the last dungeon. That whole area is huge and there is just this massive buildup in actually getting into it and then you pretty much use every item you've acquired up to that point and the boss fight is actually very cool just because of the massive shift midway through. I loved all of that.

I think my biggest issue is with the same thing from a lot of early 3D games and in particular with this series, the combat isn't that fun. It's very janky, so actually fighting most things isn't ever the part I love most from this game. Aiming wasn't too bad in first person mode since you could make little adjustments, moving the 3DS. I do want to pick out one part of the game I hated and it's probably minor but it annoyed me so much. The water section before the final boss fight. I looked this up and it's different on N64 and 3DS but it's awful in both anyway. On 3DS, you need to go through 3 areas with 1 correct path. Area 1 has 2 paths and the final 2 have 3 paths. From what I could tell, there was nothing to indicate which was the correct path and one of the final paths leads to a heart container. I hate this kind of thing because it's just pure probability. There is nothing interesting about it. You either fail and restart or get through successfully.

With that out of the way, overall I really liked the game, I loved the ideas (that inverted song is essential, otherwise I might not have loved the game as much) and I think it actually does a better job with the masks than Super Mario Odyssey does with cappy. This feels more like a Zelda game than Odyssey feels like a Mario game. I feel this way because the masks add more to the core gameplay, they add a variance to it but it still has that feeling of playing it like a Zelda game while with cappy, it feels more like we've got this cool random idea, lets build a kingdom around it. Neither is necessarily a bad thing, I just prefer how it was implemented in Majora's Mask.

• Left 4 Dead - Very very late to the party. Myself and a friend played through all the campaigns. It would have been nice to have 4 players but either way we had a great time playing through each one. I just love how focused each campaign is and you can still have those silly or crazy moments like a Brute punching you off a building to your death. We were going to mess around with 1 or 2 custom campaigns but couldn't seem to get it working. So, on to Left 4 Dead 2!

• @tokeeffe9 Left 4 Dead 2 is such a damn treat and a major upgrade. One series I'd love to come back but y'know... Valve. Can't wait for Vermintide 2 to be on consoles.

• Resident Evil Survivor again - Normal/S Rank
    Dino Crisis 2 - All Dino files, but only got an A ranking (took a bit too long)

• Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

Initial impressions were through the roof and they finally floated back down to earth once I got to the credits of this one. It's one of the few cases where I feel like a shorter, more focused experience would have greatly helped the pace of things. While the banter between the main characters was charming and honestly why I had a good time, the actual story was just okay and the gameplay was a bit above average. I think if someone was going to skip any part of the series, this is the easiest recommendation, but if you're consuming everything Ronpa like I am, then it's certainly not a bad time either.

The one thing I absolutely need to mention is the antagonists... are.... awful. Jataro and Monaca aren't just the most annoying characters in Danganronpa as a whole, they are some of the worst characters I've dealt with in any form of media. Listen to this. Listen to this and feel my pain.

Youtube Video

• Alien Isolation

I felt like I was tense for every moment of this game. Right up until the alien appeared and resulting in me jumping clean off my seat, panicking and then dying. And I loved it for that. It felt like it had the right balance between helplessness and being able to fight back, against the androids, people, and eventually with the flamethrower against the alien itself. It's wonderfully atmospheric and pays due respect to the first (and best) movie.
    It does have it's faults though: it's a couple of hours too long, there is a loop in the story of trying to do things and it failing for whatever reason that only serve to extend the story rather than add anything, a couple of the jumps were so signposted as to become boring, and I noticed a surprising amount of glitches.
    Overall I loved it.

• Just finished Detective Pikachu. It was lovely and fun and now I want another big mystery to solve. <3!

• I received Yakuza 0 as a birthday present from my wife. We both walked in knowing absolutely nothing about the game or the series; I heard the allies speak fondly of it, but I figured it would be like Japanese GTA or Sleeping Dogs. As I sit here while the credits scroll by of an over 100 hour adventure, I’m filled with just about every emotion. Joy, relief, melancholy, excitement... it was an amazingly fun and emotional ride. After spending so much time with these characters and in this world, this game has risen to the top ranks of my favorite experiences ever.

I haven’t mentioned specifics, since I’m glad I knew as little as possible going in. However, I would highly encourage anyone to pick this game up. Now, I don’t normally do this, but I have a platinum trophy to chase. Also, I have a sequel to purchase.