Last game you finished

• Left 4 Dead - Very very late to the party. Myself and a friend played through all the campaigns. It would have been nice to have 4 players but either way we had a great time playing through each one. I just love how focused each campaign is and you can still have those silly or crazy moments like a Brute punching you off a building to your death. We were going to mess around with 1 or 2 custom campaigns but couldn't seem to get it working. So, on to Left 4 Dead 2!

• @tokeeffe9 Left 4 Dead 2 is such a damn treat and a major upgrade. One series I'd love to come back but y'know... Valve. Can't wait for Vermintide 2 to be on consoles.

• Resident Evil Survivor again - Normal/S Rank
    Dino Crisis 2 - All Dino files, but only got an A ranking (took a bit too long)

• Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

Initial impressions were through the roof and they finally floated back down to earth once I got to the credits of this one. It's one of the few cases where I feel like a shorter, more focused experience would have greatly helped the pace of things. While the banter between the main characters was charming and honestly why I had a good time, the actual story was just okay and the gameplay was a bit above average. I think if someone was going to skip any part of the series, this is the easiest recommendation, but if you're consuming everything Ronpa like I am, then it's certainly not a bad time either.

The one thing I absolutely need to mention is the antagonists... are.... awful. Jataro and Monaca aren't just the most annoying characters in Danganronpa as a whole, they are some of the worst characters I've dealt with in any form of media. Listen to this. Listen to this and feel my pain.

Youtube Video

• Alien Isolation

I felt like I was tense for every moment of this game. Right up until the alien appeared and resulting in me jumping clean off my seat, panicking and then dying. And I loved it for that. It felt like it had the right balance between helplessness and being able to fight back, against the androids, people, and eventually with the flamethrower against the alien itself. It's wonderfully atmospheric and pays due respect to the first (and best) movie.
    It does have it's faults though: it's a couple of hours too long, there is a loop in the story of trying to do things and it failing for whatever reason that only serve to extend the story rather than add anything, a couple of the jumps were so signposted as to become boring, and I noticed a surprising amount of glitches.
    Overall I loved it.

• Just finished Detective Pikachu. It was lovely and fun and now I want another big mystery to solve. <3!

• I received Yakuza 0 as a birthday present from my wife. We both walked in knowing absolutely nothing about the game or the series; I heard the allies speak fondly of it, but I figured it would be like Japanese GTA or Sleeping Dogs. As I sit here while the credits scroll by of an over 100 hour adventure, I’m filled with just about every emotion. Joy, relief, melancholy, excitement... it was an amazingly fun and emotional ride. After spending so much time with these characters and in this world, this game has risen to the top ranks of my favorite experiences ever.

I haven’t mentioned specifics, since I’m glad I knew as little as possible going in. However, I would highly encourage anyone to pick this game up. Now, I don’t normally do this, but I have a platinum trophy to chase. Also, I have a sequel to purchase.

• @billy oh man, I hope you like mahjong!

• Just finished Yakuza Kiwami. Idk whether Yakuza 0 recycled a lot of Yakuza 1's story or whether Kiwami takes a lot from 0, but I'm glad I played the prequel first. Too much felt repetitive having played the prequel earlier this year. It did have its emotional moments and the story had highlights, but it felt a bit rambling and backwards following up Yakuza 0 with Kiwami.

Regardless, it's a super solid 7-7.5/10 and I recommend anybody to go and play Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami to get into the series.

• @tokyoslim Haha, that definitely took a whole night to even learn the basics. I actually finished the whole completion list; I just have the Climax battles and a Legend-difficulty run left.

• @billy Wow, that's super impressive. You're on the downhill side of the mountain!
    Gambatte Kudesai!

• @sabotagethetruth my goodness what in the heavens was that.

It is good to hear from you that you found Ultra Despair Girls not that relevant, I'm confident V3 won't change that for you and it's not that I don't want more Danganronpa, but I have enough games as it is, and I'm content not playing it, so hearing you think it is fine is good.

• Doki Doki Literature Club 7.5/10

I had an idea of what to expect and even then it was able to do something interesting, still nothing groundbreaking or to remarkable for me

• @bard91

I loved that game so much. I knew people were surprised by it and it came out of nowhere and that's all I knew. That's why I was blown away by it personally. A solid one and done game but the ultimate one and done that left an impact. Hard to recommend to friends though, haha!

• Left 4 Dead 2 - I cannot believe I wasn't told that all the campaigns from L4D are in L4D2. We played through 5-6 campaigns in this, laughed that we'd completed the game and then played the next campaign and noticed it was the original cast again... so we actually did complete it. I did notice one of the campaign names but thought it might be like a different version. Anyway, it's pretty easy to say that this is the better game overall. They just made some nice changes with the extra weapons, adding melee weapons and adding in things like weather effects. All just nice quality improvements. I think I personally preferred the first cast but that doesn't really matter.

Our biggest issue with 2 was on the mission where you meet the cast from the first game, we had a game breaking glitch. We'd go into the town area to collect the gasoline for the generator and as soon as we got down, zombies would be called in and it was an endless flow. Once we'd dealt with one batch, another was already on the way and it'd constantly be dealing with 2 brutes at a time. It seemed like an insane jump in difficulty and after a lot of attempts we finally got all the cans and then we weren't able to turn on the generator... all that time wasted. So when we restarted that mission, it was insanely easy to do after how difficult it had been. So that was a sour note for sure and I think I've had my fill of these games. I absolutely wish I'd been around to play proper 4 player co op on it and check out the different difficulties but I still had a blast just playing 1-2 other players and going through it. Fun games. Has me in the mood to check out vermintide.

A Way Out - Posted all my thoughts on the general topic. TL:DR is that it's very good and you'll have a very good time regardless of the issues you might have with it.

• Valiant Hearts: The Great War

I picked this up on the PSN Easter Sale for just £3 just to see what it was like. The puzzles were good fun, and if ever you get stuck for too long there is an optional hint just to give you a nudge in the right direction. The story is emotional, particularly for Emile and Karl. I would have liked more resolution to Freddy's section, and maybe it did the "They're dead... not really" thing too many times. It was refreshing to see a war game that wasn't "Shoot all the bad guys, isn't this fun!" but was a more reflective look at the horror and hardships that war brings to people's lives. If you're at all interested, I would suggest keeping an eye on it, if it's been that cheap once, it'll be that cheap again, and it's a really interesting game.

• Resident Evil: Code Veronica X

Didn't like it. My favorite things about the previous Resident Evils was how they looked, and how thoroughly they investigated a single space. Code Veronica's environments are in-engine, and they're all pretty ugly. The reason for this change being camera movement I'm guessing, but nothing interesting is being done with the camera movement. Just pans and simple follow shots. Despite this change, camera issues persist and it's aggravated by a common enemies that can stretch, making off-screen battling a common part of combat.

Level design and puzzle solving feel really labored, like busywork instead of discovery. Instead of one focused environment, this one has 5 semi-realized environments that just send you back and forth between them. Because of this, there are a whole bunch of locked doors far apart from one another, and there was more than one instance where I got a key (or object that serves as a key) and really couldn't figure where it needed to go. Storytelling leans into camp pretty hard. It's awkward, but I guess that's a tradition of the series. The games before this one had a more charming obliviousness about them that I admired.

It definitely doesn't reinvent the series, and the creative choices it makes take away more than they add.

• Portal and Half-Life 2

• @sheria said in Last game you finished:

Portal and Half-Life 2

I recently tried HL2 few weeks ago. despite being one of my fav game of all time. it just donot feel right this time. and feel quite dated. especially compare to Doom.