Last game you finished

• @holy_angel_mx KH2 fixes the camera for the most part. the jumping never gets better lol

• Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

My thoughts are all over the place for this particular entry. While playing through it, I always had a feeling that this game was more of the same - some things were done better, some were done worse, but nothing really stood out as new or innovative to me. The cast was much more well rounded but I didn't have as many favorites as I did in D2. Good, but not great, was how I felt during the first 5 chapters. Then in true Ronpa fashion, a large twist is introduced.

Personally, I think it's hard to write for a series that is known for its twists because as that series goes on, more and more is expected out of those particular twists. We as an audience generally demand escalation, otherwise "the older ones were better" will become the story behind the new release. Unfortunately, that means these twists become so over the top and begin to lack any plausibility that audience expectation may actually hurt the final product. Without going into details, I do think it's clever how they find a way to talk about this phenomenon, yet the writing towards the end felt startling clumsy. For a series so concerned with details, it's surprising to me how much they just wanted to shock the audience in the ending to this one, even if it meant altering our perception of the preceding games. In concept, I'm not against such a bold choice, but in execution... I certainly didn't feel anything near the level of excitement and utter awe that was Danganronpa 2.

I went into this series knowing absolutely nothing at the beginning of February and I've consumed just about every piece of media it has to offer. After falling madly in love with the series and completing V3.... I honestly don't think there's a need for the series to continue. They wrapped things up as nicely as they possibly could and the stakes just wouldn't exist in a new game.

One thing I really want to point out is the bonus games you get after completion. They. Are. Incredible. You get to purchase cards from a vending machine that stand in for all of the characters in each game, each card having its own rarity. You then play a short board game with the character, leveling them up, and getting events where they interact with characters from the other games. You then take that character card and bring it into a dungeon crawler where you duke it out, old school Dragon Quest style. Being able to build a party out of my favorites from the games and actually fight with them? It's an entirely fleshed out game on its own, it's ridiculously jolly, and it's so good to see something like this in a game added as a reward for completing the main game. No downloads, no paying for character cards... just something you earn naturally.

• Just finished Far Cry 5's main story, and i have to say that my expectations from when i started the game has been exceeded comfortably. I thought halfway through i'm just going to stop playing completely and play Far Cry Arcade instead, but oh boy i really like this game. It somehow feels fresh again, just like when i played Far Cry 2 or 3 for the first time, and when i look at it closely, not much has changed from the previous entry, but the things that it changed were important. No more stupid radio towers, you have to actually explore the world yourself to make it completely visible. No more hunting for crafting, which means the progression isn't tied to waiting for the damn animals to show up (stupid RNGs). The guns-for-hire companions are also a good addition to the formula, making it feel that your allies actually help you this time instead of just ordering you around. It also helps that the setting of this game is wildly different from any other Far Cry, and it's somewhat surreal that it takes in a place like Montana. Chaos and carnage right in the middle of this beautiful, naturally peaceful land.

Overall, i was quite surprised by this game, and now i'm quite excited for the future of Ubisoft games, as recent games (this and Watch Dogs 2 especially) has impressed me quite a bit and entertained me more than i thought. It's 8.5/10 for me.

Now, back to Far Cry Arcade and publishing at least one level before i play other games.

• Played through both Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2

While I thought the first game was just okay, I had a blast in the sequel. GR2 would easily end up in my top 10 last year. My only complaint about the game were the major frame drops that happened from time to time and the camera angles were a big mess.

I hope we'll get a third game in the franchise, but I doubt we'll see it just because of the second game apparently bombed in sales.

• @hidz that's good to hear, I thought the first was alright, and I've been thinking about playing the sequel, but yeah I think they've pretty much confirmed the franchise is dead

• Finished Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4. I've left my Xbone on in order to install 5, it was an enormous download.

• What Remains of Edith Finch

I'm usually skeptical when a smaller game gets a tremendous amount of hype. The best recent example is Inside, where the whole world seemed to be praising it and when I finally got around to playing it, I absolutely despised nearly everything it had to offer. So once I kept hearing people say the story of Edith Finch is something special, I wondered how much of that was hype.

Well, I can honestly say I fell in love with this one. It's hard for me to consider this a game (maybe more of an experience, even if that word makes Kyle shudder) but it certainly has a unique way of telling its many stories. Most of these vignettes come off as charming and strangely relatable. It's just the perfect length and has some moments I'm bound to remember for quite awhile - Lewis' story for instance was extremely impactful. Really glad I gave this one a spin and finishing a game in just one sitting is very refreshing.

• @sabotagethetruth

I really want to play the series. I've never tried Danganronpa but the demo was so bat shit that my curiosity is high.

I recently beat Life Is Strange: Before the Storm, and Shadow of the Colossus. I highly recommend both games. They are easy to play and can be completed in smaller sessions throughout a busy week if that makes them appealing to you.

• @dipset I think the Ronpa is well worth checking out, it's very different from most of what is out there. Just realize the pacing isn't always great, some clues during trials are very obtuse, and it will get very, very weird at points.

• The beginners guide. Last night. Finally got round to playing it. My god what an interesting game. I sat and thought about it for a long time.

• Just finished the Shadow of the Colossus remake. This has been on my list since it's showing at E3 last year, and since i loved The Last Guardian there was no doubt that i will play this game.
    I can't say much other than i really enjoyed the game. Beautiful graphics, top notch subtle storytelling, and the wonderous encounters with all the Colossi got me engaged the whole way through. I still like TLG a bit more, i'm biased towards great companions, and you can't beat Trico on that matter. Agro's no slouch though. (9.5/10 for me)

• Dishonored 2 9/10

A weak ending but I really like the game overall, and it is a bit sad knowing that I didn't really dive into the systems and explore more what could have been done, limiting myself to stealth and trying aggro just a couple of times to see what it is like before save scumming, so I know there's a whole different experience in the game which I'm curious but not enough to play through it again, still that flexibility is one of the things I really like about it, great game for sure.

• I finished Batman Enemy Within!

Episode 5 turned that into my second favourite Telltale series! It was almost completely different for me than it was for Jones, which surprised me. A lot of fun for Batman fans. 8/10

Villain Joker was the best route. I also had fun making my Batman one who will do anything to help innocents, but always willing to ask for help from people. I also liked my ending with Waller, cause I like her quite a bit. Also went fully into the relationship with Selina, since I do love them working together. In the end gave up being Batman for Alfred. He's family... and right, there is plenty Bruce Wayne can do to help.

• Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox):
    Amazing game. Great combat, perfect difficulty and great blend of action, exploration and puzzle solving.

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus (PS1):
    I played this when I was a kid but never got passed the slig barracks but now I've finally beaten it. Great game but I think it drags on for a bit too long.
    Also the backgrounds and environments and as good as the first game which is kinda disappointing .

Bully: Scholarship Edition (X360):
    I played through it when it was originally released on the PS2. I'm kinda surprised at how well it holds up. It's still awesome.

Ninja Gaiden (NES Mini):
    I've beaten it a few time before but I'm still amazed at how insane the last stage is. Great game, fantastic soundtrack.

Mega Man 2 (NES Mini):
    It's just one of those game I love to replay over and over again.

• Banned

I finished F.E.A.R. 2 for the second time after first playing it 9 years ago.

It's not very good, as a kid I loved F.E.A.R. and the expansions it had and I finished the game countless times on PC. FEAR 2 is disappointing though, the gunplay isn't as good, the amount of detail has been reduced, the physics/ragdolls are worse and worst of all, it's barely scary. It feels like 90% of the time you're just killing waves of bad guys.

• Yakuza 6
    After doing a lot of activities up to a certain chapter, I decided to focus only on story. I heard complaints about this game was bad. I don't get it, I thought it was amazing from beginning to end.

It's a shame it came out such a bad time with God of War around the corner, but I suggest everyone to play Yakuza 6 some time in the future! I strongly recommend it

• Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-Ality [PSVR]

A great easter egg and reference filled game from the makers of Job Simulator (one of the best early VR games). Story wise it plays out like a lost episode of the show and makes pleanty of jokes about it. It is a bit on the short side but Owlchemy Labs have put pleanty of hidden jokes, collectables, etc in there along with some repeatable activities. At times it does feel like you are just going through the motions a bit. There is not a lot of flexibility or multple approaches to solving the problems you face in the game.

If you're a big Rick and Morty fan pick it up otherwise Job Simultor is still the better, richer and more fun game to play.

• Global Moderator

Not sure what I posted here last time.

But I have finished Life is Strange: Before the storm (You Need to play this!)

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR story: Not great story at large and lots and lots of padding. However towards the end things really kicked off and the game itself are so much fun so its worth playing! Now onto the content for the first expansion.

RiME: Just Wow... what a beautiful, simple but yet amazing game! It only took me about 6 hours to run through but I was engaged and felt super jolly the entire time. Love the art style and the music was so beautiful, it is now added to my spotify list.

• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

So I've been on a bit of a "visual novel" kick lately, what with finishing the entire Danganronpa series not too long ago. I figured it was time to dive into the other beloved series in the genre, the Zero Escape games.

If Danganronpa is about emotions, bonds between those stuck in the killing game, and constant paranoia, then Zero Escape (at least the first) is about scientific theory, conspiracy, and a lottttt of math. Potentially a wee bit too much math. While the Ronpa focuses on murdering people in some really unique ways, Zero Escape seems content with going into detail about real life experiments and unexplained phenomenon. Things like morphogenetic resonance and the Ganzfeld experiment were things I knew nothing about going into this game but I find them extremely fascinating - which apparently the writer of this game did too.

The characters in this one are real well thought out and don't fit into cliche one-dimension stereotypes. It's nice not to have a character that always talks about food or one that always make jokes - they feel much more fleshed out and nearly all of them go through a wide range of emotions throughout the story, making me like every single character. Most puzzles aren't too difficult either - they supply you with enough information in the environment to figure out what you need to do, plus the characters themselves will give you hints to lead you in the right direction. It's only when you find yourself going for the true ending of the game does the game bop you over the head with a lot of math puzzles that aren't super fun.

Speaking of, I loved the choice given to the player and how you can obtain different endings, most of them not being desirable outcomes. They provide you with a flowchart so you can easily move back to various decisions without having to replay everything and you can easily skip over repeated dialogue. Strangely, it's only while pursuing the "true" ending of the game that I started finding things I dislike. Firstly, without the use of a spoiler-free chart online, I don't think I would have ever figured out the correct path to get that ending and the pace of the story just drags. You have to end up replaying most of the more annoying puzzles and for a game that was well thought out, the ending just feels.... nonsensical in a lot of ways. Games having bad endings is pretty standard but it's surprising to me how quickly this one fizzles out.

Either way, there was enough good in the game to keep me interested and ready to immediately jump into Virtue's Last Reward!

• @sabotagethetruth For as much as I like Danganronpa, Zero Escape is where it is at for me.

I'm interested in seeing your opinion in the other two games, so I'll keep quiet not to color your impressions of the other two games.