Last game you finished

• Yakuza 6
    After doing a lot of activities up to a certain chapter, I decided to focus only on story. I heard complaints about this game was bad. I don't get it, I thought it was amazing from beginning to end.

It's a shame it came out such a bad time with God of War around the corner, but I suggest everyone to play Yakuza 6 some time in the future! I strongly recommend it

• Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-Ality [PSVR]

A great easter egg and reference filled game from the makers of Job Simulator (one of the best early VR games). Story wise it plays out like a lost episode of the show and makes pleanty of jokes about it. It is a bit on the short side but Owlchemy Labs have put pleanty of hidden jokes, collectables, etc in there along with some repeatable activities. At times it does feel like you are just going through the motions a bit. There is not a lot of flexibility or multple approaches to solving the problems you face in the game.

If you're a big Rick and Morty fan pick it up otherwise Job Simultor is still the better, richer and more fun game to play.

• Global Moderator

Not sure what I posted here last time.

But I have finished Life is Strange: Before the storm (You Need to play this!)

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR story: Not great story at large and lots and lots of padding. However towards the end things really kicked off and the game itself are so much fun so its worth playing! Now onto the content for the first expansion.

RiME: Just Wow... what a beautiful, simple but yet amazing game! It only took me about 6 hours to run through but I was engaged and felt super jolly the entire time. Love the art style and the music was so beautiful, it is now added to my spotify list.

• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

So I've been on a bit of a "visual novel" kick lately, what with finishing the entire Danganronpa series not too long ago. I figured it was time to dive into the other beloved series in the genre, the Zero Escape games.

If Danganronpa is about emotions, bonds between those stuck in the killing game, and constant paranoia, then Zero Escape (at least the first) is about scientific theory, conspiracy, and a lottttt of math. Potentially a wee bit too much math. While the Ronpa focuses on murdering people in some really unique ways, Zero Escape seems content with going into detail about real life experiments and unexplained phenomenon. Things like morphogenetic resonance and the Ganzfeld experiment were things I knew nothing about going into this game but I find them extremely fascinating - which apparently the writer of this game did too.

The characters in this one are real well thought out and don't fit into cliche one-dimension stereotypes. It's nice not to have a character that always talks about food or one that always make jokes - they feel much more fleshed out and nearly all of them go through a wide range of emotions throughout the story, making me like every single character. Most puzzles aren't too difficult either - they supply you with enough information in the environment to figure out what you need to do, plus the characters themselves will give you hints to lead you in the right direction. It's only when you find yourself going for the true ending of the game does the game bop you over the head with a lot of math puzzles that aren't super fun.

Speaking of, I loved the choice given to the player and how you can obtain different endings, most of them not being desirable outcomes. They provide you with a flowchart so you can easily move back to various decisions without having to replay everything and you can easily skip over repeated dialogue. Strangely, it's only while pursuing the "true" ending of the game that I started finding things I dislike. Firstly, without the use of a spoiler-free chart online, I don't think I would have ever figured out the correct path to get that ending and the pace of the story just drags. You have to end up replaying most of the more annoying puzzles and for a game that was well thought out, the ending just feels.... nonsensical in a lot of ways. Games having bad endings is pretty standard but it's surprising to me how quickly this one fizzles out.

Either way, there was enough good in the game to keep me interested and ready to immediately jump into Virtue's Last Reward!

• @sabotagethetruth For as much as I like Danganronpa, Zero Escape is where it is at for me.

I'm interested in seeing your opinion in the other two games, so I'll keep quiet not to color your impressions of the other two games.

• Sunset Overdrive

There's a lot of fun to be had with Sunset Overdrive. It's clear pretty soon into the game that it is its combat that shines the brightest, but combined with a great traversal system and a genuinely good sense of humour and style, I'd say that it makes this a sandbox game that's more memorable than the vast majority out there. It's not without its problems though, but a lot of it falls into the general slack you have to give to most modern videogames.

The over-world itself is much bigger than it needs to be, and is immediately noticeable when approaching endgame and noticing where exactly the main campaign took you, there's also so much redundant busy work in each of the areas and the all too familiar clutter that dominates your in-game map. The main missions themselves are also very uninspired, having you run back and forth as nothing but an errand boy. It's a shame also, because there's some genuine signs of brilliance with some of the game's setpieces, it just makes you wonder what the game could have been if it had just been a bit more condensed and focused. Sadly, the game is also insanely generous with its auto save and checkpoint system. Just about any challenge this game may have had, is wiped out as you notice each failure, be it death or even just a fall, has you put back mere seconds back for you to try again; while common in a lot of modern videogames I play, I'd say this games lack of confidence in the player is honestly some of the worst I've seen. Also, be prepared to be hit over the head with new tutorial-like segments well into the games campaign, the game is very keen to explain and then trial you on every little new addition they add into the mix.

I'd still say this is a game worth playing if you enjoy the genre, there's definitely worse out there.

• Yakuza 6 was great. Didn't see much side stories or activities since I didn't meet requirements. The podcast bet for example. Missed the whole thing.
    Still would recommend it on story alone and I have played only Yakuza 0 and Kiwami before this.
    Played Ni no Kuni 2 before Y6. Kingdom building took so much time and audio issues made you see there were some weird budget choices (not enough?) but I really enjoyed it.

• GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - The telltale game. This was good fun, I enjoyed the story and hanging out with the gang. The only problem I had with it is that it never sold me on the "your actions matter" thing. In Walking Dead I knew that what I did would have consequences, people would die or leave the group and stuff. In Guardians, as much as they tried (even when I sent someone out the airlock in episode 4) I never thought we wouldn't end up together having defeated the bad guy as a team. Apart from that it's a good fun comic book story, and the characters were true to who they were. If you like Telltale games, then you'll like this too.

BEYOND: TWO SOULS - Same kind of problem I had with guardians for the most part. Because the time line jumps around you see the results of things you're then asked to do. So I know how it's going to go, and there's nothing I can do to change it. This lessened right in the last couple of chapters, and there it felt like I had a say it what happened with a couple of big choices. If you like this kind of game, it's a swimming in sevens sort of affair I think. Not perfect but passes the time well enough.

SONG OF THE DEEP - I loved it. I loved the gentle feel of that game. I loved the underwater world. I loved the Irish accent for the narrator. I loved that it was a young girl out to rescue her Dad and not the other way around. I loved the abilities you get for the ship. I loved the amount of secrets hidden around. And it was really well timed, finishing right as I was starting to tire of things. I picked it up on a PSN sale for about £3 , and more than got my moneys worth out of it.

• I've finished Halo 5 for the first time, and I also did a replay of Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare (PS1 Version)

• Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

i bought both of the Tomb Raider games becasue of the movie, i really liked the "uncharted" mechanics in the game, but some situations are very unrealistic IMO, the long jumps for example,

overall, the game is ok, a friend of mine told me that the second is better, so after God of War and Kingdom Hearts i will play it.

• God of War 4. There is still tons to do afterward, so I'll be busy.

• Yakuza 6.

alt text

55 hours. Got almost everything first playthrough. Going to dive into God of War now, and maybe I'll come back and plat this later. Shouldn't take long.

• Superhot

You have to check out this game. It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

• @hanabi even better in VR

• I finally decided to give a final push after being stuck in the flooded tunnel section of The Last of Us for ages.
    Pretty great game. The ending wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be, but hey what are you gonna do.

• @el-shmiablo Some people love it, others dont :)
    I personally think it's perfect, full of questions and wideopen to interpretation.
    Making a sequal that much more interesting, especially with the first trailer for part 2.

• I just finished my very first run of Resident Evil 1 Remake.
    One of many, since I really liked the game.
    I had only played 7 and Zero before RE1, but I am now on a mission to finish them all.
    I guess I have to join the RE2 remake club now and wait for that sweet announcement since i cant seem to find either 2 or 3/nemesis on store for PS4.

• @kaliber That’s really interesting. I played through it for the first time last year (which was my first Resident Evil game ever), and I didn’t enjoy myself all too much. I chalked it up to inexperience with the genre and it’s age. I’m happy that people can pick up this game for the first time and find it enjoyable.

• @kaliber I highly recommend avoiding 6. It is hot garbage.

• @billy said in Last game you finished:

@kaliber That’s really interesting. I played through it for the first time last year (which was my first Resident Evil game ever), and I didn’t enjoy myself all too much. I chalked it up to inexperience with the genre and it’s age. I’m happy that people can pick up this game for the first time and find it enjoyable.

It's not exactly strange that someone can enjoy such a good game.