Last game you finished

• @ringedwithtile the real question is... what do you think of Magus?

Hehe

• @tokyoslim I like Magus!

• Nioh

Pretty enjoyable game. I've a hard time to like souls lookalike games because they don't live up to the hype, but Nioh nailed it. I'd a lot of fun playing it.

However, towards the end there was horrible encounters that sort of killed the amazing experience I had. The encounters I'm talking about are the several headed dragonboss on the roof and the Kelley clones. Other than that, great game.

• @ringedwithtile ok, good. :)

• Just finished Dying Light I put 45 hours into it in one week. I don't do that with way more deserving games, but I loved it even with its dumb story the game feels great to play. I guess I'm a swimming in 7's kinda guy.

• Tearaway Unfolded

I liked this. It's simplistic but it looks great and it gives back the more you're willing to interact with it. The story could have been more involved, but the sentimental-meta-cutesy attitude ends up paying off in the end. I hear the original Tearaway was shorter, which makes me think I would have preferred that one---this game has some pacing issues, but I'm glad I played it.

• Death Road to Canada

It may not be fair to say I've finished this game (there's 10 modes, I've finished 2) but you see the credits at the end of a run, so I'm counting it. Equal parts Oregon Trail, looter, and bash zombies in game, this really comes together in a very quirky roguelike experience. There's enough here to keep diving back in (which I plan to over the course of the year) but back-to-back playthroughs do suffer a bit from feeling familiar. It has some really bizarre characters and situations though so if you're even a tiny bit a fan of the genre, it's well worth the trip.

• Outcast: Second Contact.

Complete, with Platinum. A very faithful remake of the cult classic, it was nice to see them stick to simply updating the graphics and keeping everything else as it was. I'm not sure if the update was really needed, but I haven't tried running it for at least 10 years, so maybe it's not very compatible with modern PC's. They did a good job though nonetheless. There were a couple of animation issues, specifically at the end, and the jump could use a little work, otherwise it's still a really good romp with little to complain about.

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

More of the same. More climbing, simple puzzles, and clunky shooting. Another ancient city, another boring oligarch with hundreds of soldiers. It doesn't provide anything new for the series, but it knows what Uncharted (especially Uncharted 4's Madagascar passage) does well and focuses on that. It was ok, but it felt redundant.

Yakuza

This is good. There are really clear weaknesses, but the goofy political melodrama and its dense, detail-oriented environments make it an endearing experience---and from what I understand those two things are only amplified in the sequels. Looking forward to playing more of the series.

• The Witcher 3

For me this game fluctuates widely between being incredible and infuriating. The world is amazingly detailed and beautiful. The combat is awful. The characters are so well thought out and feel like actual people. The story is.... fun in parts but overall disappointing. And so I’m not sure what to think of it overall. Worth playing, but I won’t be playing the DLC.

• Yoku's Island Express

Loved it. Very polished game, gorgeous art style and soundtrack, charming world, characters and writing, and very unique gameplay. I strongly recommend it if you remotely enjoy pinball and 2D adventures.

It's also very clever about its collectibles, I'm gunning for 100% now and it feels more like post-game content rather than a grind.

• I don't know whether it counts as finishing it, but i just wiped out the raiders in Nuka World. I certainly didn't plan to rule the raiders the first time i got there, and when one of them talked shit about the Minutemen, i just started killing all of em'. So glad i could do this, this DLC and Far Harbor is way more open than the main Fallout 4 quests.

• Global Moderator

God of War

10/10 You need to play this.

• Devil May Cry 4

Well, this one is kind of all over the place, sometimes in good ways, sometimes, in very... lazy ways? As someone who has only played the first two games when they released on PS2, I don't have a huge love of the series but I've always found it interesting. Playing as Nero for most of the game was certainly surprising at first, but I honestly didn't mind it. Pretty slow start but eventually, I was starting to look forward to playing it whenever I could. Then, you shift into playing as Dante and that's when my feelings get more mixed. Dante is a lot of fun here, both in personality and different playstyles, he acquires quite a wide arsenal of weapons but... It all ends up falling flat for me because you're exploring exact same spots as Nero and fighting the same bosses, with one or two new moves. I love the idea of exploring familiar grounds with a new character but there's hardly anything new to be found. The lab you went through earlier? Same lab, except now there's poisonous gas! Then you gain control of Nero again.... and fight the exact same bosses.... again. Fighting the same boss three times in a game is lazy and then when that is done to at least four of them? Woof. It's hard to forgive that.

While I'm glad I finally played this one, I have pretty much zero interest to ever return to it. However, it did exactly what I intended it to do - it made me super hyped for the eventual unveiling of Devil May Cry 5. Let's see how much they've improved in the last decade.

• I finally got around to finishing The Banner Saga 2 after a nearly yearlong hiatus. I immediately felt bad for having ever stopped (move/life changes notwithstanding). This game is incredible. The art is more varied than it was in the first game, and it breathes life into this dying world that they're portraying. There were multiple moments where I stopped playing just to zoom in and really pore over all the tiny details in the bends of tree branches. Can't wait for the sequel this summer!

• Arc the Lad

I like the art, especially the environmental animations. It looks good. Everything else is pretty standard and mediocre. My Arc became an unstoppable powerhouse and every other party member was dying in one hit and it still wasn't at all a rough time. Storytelling is pretty lame too; really verbose, although its clear that the writers or translators were having fun with the dialogue. I liked that it wasn't very long though.

• Been able to get in some quality gaming time, so I finished (and platinumed) both the new God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I’ll echo the common sentiment and just say that God of War is an incredible evolution of the series, and something I’d absolutely recommend to anyone. As for Horizon, I had a great time roaming that world and engaging with the unique combat system. There was a surprising amount of versatility to fights and enemy types, and combined with good characters and story beats, I had a good time throughout the adventure.

Now, just gotta decide whether to play Nier: Automata or Wolfenstein: the New Order. Both are sitting there and both look amazing.

• Just bought and finished Parappa the Rapper Remastered. Very short game, must have been like 30-40 minutes. It's a rhythm game with unclear mechanics, but once i understood what the game "wanted", it's pretty easy. It also has a jolly vibe and a sense of humor i really love. Maybe i'll try getting the platinum trophy one day, gotta learn how to do "cool" first. (8/10)

• Detroit: Become Human

Celeste
    After fully completing Donkey Kong, this is now my main commute game and it has been another fantastic platformer. I'm not exactly finished with it as I still need to collect all the strawberries and beat 2 more B sides but the main story is complete. This game is just oozing in vibes. Each area has it's own feel, it's own extra mechanics and the soundtrack throughout is excellent. So at it's core it's a really challenging 2D platformer that feels so rewarding when you do find a secret area, or collect a really difficult strawberry but also they have the assist mode, so if you are finding it too much of a challenge, you can modify some things or everything.

What makes this game a little more special though is that it actually has a really meaningful story with really good characters. It's made even better by the voices that are used in dialogue. They just speak in tones, there is no actual word but the tone is enough to really set what each conversation feels like. It's really nicely done.

I absolutely adore this game, it's 100% worth playing.

Stories Untold
    I actually got a code for this last year from the developer. I went to check out their panel at EGX as they had worked on Alien Isolation which I loved. So I had a little chat and got a code for this. I actually thought it was only the first episode but it turned out to be the full game which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours long. This is a very different type of horror game. You are primarily just sitting down and interacting with the computer or device in front of you while the environment around you reacts to the progress you make. So you might see information you need or in the dos/story you might have just closed a door or walked up a stair and you'll hear that in the background. This is where the Alien Isolation part comes in as the sound design is really good.

But ya, if that sounds interesting to you, this is more like a dos type game I guess. A lot of it is writing sentences like "Look around", "Open door", "go here" etc but without spoiling too much, it has a cool psychological story there and some cool little surprises. it also has a serious aesthetic going on for Stranger Things.

• Dark Souls Remastered.