Last game you finished

• This post is deleted!

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)

Great remake of one of the best Zelda games. It is mostly the same game with updated visuals and sound. It is still and immensely charming game and it has some of the dungeon design in the series.
    The biggest gameplay improvement is the inventory. Having dedicated for some of the items is a big deal, in the Game Boy original you had to constantly switch items around and it was quite annoying. I also really like what they did to the map, allowing you to put markers on the map just like in Breath of the Wild.
    The game looks fantastic but the frame rate is quite bad. The soundtrack is pretty good but I still prefer the original. I do think the dungeon themes are much better in the remake.

• Heaven's Vault
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Vault

A truly unique game, I'd never played something like this before. This is an adventure game concentrating on archeology and more specifically learning an ancient language piece by piece. "The player has to decipher and learn the hieroglyphic language of the Ancients, a lost civilization. This involves finding and collecting inscriptions from ancient artifacts, sites and ruins and translating and discussing texts with other characters."

A fascinating process! It felt extremely good and interesting to try and logically piece together small phrases based on context and pure intuition, see it kinda work, then later getting a confirmation of a word used previously via another use of it now, and this way slowly build up your vocabulary of the language. The hieroglyphs themselves started to actually open up as you began to understand that that symbol stands for a place and that mean light etc., and so you started to derive new words from the ones you already new by using the base symbol to comprehend new ones. I found this all extremely intriguing as I love languages. At first it was honestly like staring an ancient Egyptian hieroglyph wall but in the end you truly understood a lot of it. And there's even New Game+ where you get to continue with your vocabulary and the inscriptions are much longer then.

The story worked really well, too, and it had quite a lot of choices that block you from certain decisions and outcomes. I went through some of the trophies I didn't get this time around and was pretty surprised of all the things I missed that the game would've had to offer with different choices. The game is a slow-burner and not much of a looker, so be warned not to hop in with false expectations. Heaven's Vault was released this April and will pretty undoubtebly earn a place on my GOTY list later on.

• Castlevania: Bloodlines and Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Sega Mega Drive Mini.

This is probably my favorite of the "mini consoles". The emulation seems good, it has a large quantity of awesome games and I love that you can play the Japanese versions of all the games as some of the games are pretty different in Japan, like Contra: Hard Corps and Dynamite Headdy. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine even changes to proper Puyo Puyo.

Castlevania: Bloodlines was a lot easier than I remembered. I played the Japanese version maybe that one is easier, I dunno. It's still one of my favorite Castlevania games, the level design is great, it does a lot of cool stuff with its visuals and the soundtrack is superb.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is also great. I think it's the only game in the main series that is enjoyable to play as it is not too difficult.

• Shadow Warrior

I've beaten this on PC before, but decided to knock the PS4 version off the list considering I'd paid for it and all. I honestly forgot how long the game was, too long in my opinion as as good as the gameplay is, the length highlights the only real true flaw the game has: Enemy variety.

Code Vein

This was an impulse buy for me. I'd seen a preview or two a while back, but it never really was on my radar to buy. I was in GAME the day it came out though and I just couldn't resist giving what to be anime Souls a chance.

I'm so glad I did. This has kept me busy and heavily invested ever since I first fired it up. Right off the bat you're hit with a truly fantastic character customisation system. Usually I spend about 2 minutes max on these things, but due to the vast amount of options available here, I think I spent a good 20 getting mine just right. Oh and I could actually make an attractive one for once in a souls-type game ^^

I really enjoyed the story here, as well as the cast of characters you meet on your way through. The art and character design is right up my alley too. In addition to the main plot, the game also introduces "vestages". These items hold memories of the character they belong, or used to belong to and are essentially the games way of handling backstory and fleshing out the lore. It's a wonderful way of doing it, helped tremendously by the fact that most of them are very emotional and touching. You have to seek most of the vestiges out though so that helps encourage exploration.

Gameplay was obviously heavily influenced by the Souls games. Instead of Souls you have Haze, something you can use to level, buy stuff or invest in unlocking the many skills and gifts that accompany each of the blood codes in the game. While the level up system here doesn't allow you to choose what stats you want to invest in, the other aspects of the game compensate for this resulting in just as many options for different builds. While your choice of weapon and blood veil are a part of that, it's the blood code you choose to use that effects the way you play the most and there's quite a lot of them too. What really stands out though is just how easy it is for you to shift your build or play style on the fly, something that was always quite a big decision in the Souls games and not something you could afford to frequently do.

There is a new game plus and I'd like to come back to it sometime soon. I like the fact that you can actually choose if you want the difficulty to increase or not here when you decide to move on to new game plus. It was always forced on you in Souls and Bloodborne.

8.5/10 for me. An easy top 5 entry for this year so far for me.

• @sheria That's good to hear. I've been on the fence regarding Code Vein but I'll think I'll try it out now.

• I had Link's Awakening as a kid but I was really, really dumb and never got very far. I bought it on VC and only got like halfway through before either something came up in life or I just stopped using my 3DS much, I don't know either way I didn't finish it there either. Got the Switch remake and finally beat it today.

Youtube Video

• Sayonara Wild Hearts

I haven't played much this year but this is probably one of the best to come out. I've been eagerly awaiting its release since it was announced at The Game Awards last year.
    It's so eclectic, stylish, and fun as hell. While it is, unfortunately, way shorter than I thought it'd be, it does make replaying levels (or even the whole game) way more enjoyable as it doesn't drag on.
    Oh, and obviously the music fucking bangs.

• @NeoCweeny

That's how I felt towards the game at least. I'm glad you took something from it though, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Dragon's Crown

The first Vanillaware game I've played, and I thought it was pretty tedious. It's about 3 hours of game that it wants to stretch out to over 8. It wants to ask things of its player in its story and sidequests and the like, but they all amount to running back and forth in town or going back to the same handful of levels and playing them again. Its beat-em-up combat is ok, but I wish the enemies were more of a challenge and asked for more than just being stunlocked. I guess the art (which is neatly stylized, but only really impressive with screen-filling enemies) comes at a price---there are only so many assets that can be made. Hard to tell if the amount of artwork couldn't fit the ambitions, or they just really wanted to pad the thing out. Pretty lame.

• @ringedwithtile yeah I tried at least twice to push through that game but just couldn't.