Last game you finished

• @capnbobamous The drug cartel level. It's just visually boring, not very exciting to explore, and the targets are not interesting characters.

• @bam541 I can get down with that. Colombia and Mumbai were my least faves but I still enjoyed both. The other levels are just so, SO good that I guess it's hard to keep that level of perfection going for 8 levels.

• @bam541 Yeah I get that. I also feel like the mission stories were a little lacking.

• @e_zed_eh_intern I classified Mumbai as a good level earlier, but I might put it to fantastic now after thinking about it more. I really like the mission stories that I did (the barber one might be one of my favorites in the whole game, I really like the concept of it), there's lots of cool background dialogues and the Shah's area looks gorgeous. Not to mention, killing the Bollywood star is extra satisfying since he's such an disgusting asshole.

• Life is Strange 2. Overall I enjoyed it but I had some issues with it. Occasionally it's too intrusive in how it forces you in one direction and its pace becomes so obvious that for the most part you know when the game is about to turn things on you. But it is well written, the art direction is beautiful and has nice music.

• @axel I'm still in the middle of X3 right now, but I'll definitely have to post updates as I go through all of them on the thread here. I personally remember really enjoying X4-X6 a lot growing up, but haven't really touched X7 or X8 at all. It will be really interesting going into all of those ones in order of release with a fresh perspective! While I would agree that each of the games do add a lot of bloat as far as I remember, and that timing thing in X5 being stressful and dumb, it could be argued that each of the games in the original trilogy still have their own level of gimmicks as well.

I think that the first X game is still as close to perfect as you could get. It's so breezy going through that game. Upgrading your gear and beating bosses has a rhythm to it that is just a masterclass. X2 added the optional bosses which can be cool even if it creates a little extra backtracking, but X3 has a little too much additional stuff for me to be excited to find it all. You've got ride-armor stuff, armor upgrades, chips to upgrade your armor upgrades, and optional bosses on top of that. It all feels like a little too much personally and slows down that pace the first one nailed so well. Not that I'm not enjoying myself, I still am. It's just starting to lose some of that pacing that made the first one feel so good. Review to come soon!

Also, this is a fan made thing, but it's still pretty cool. We can always dream.
    Youtube Video

• I played 20 minutes of Persona 4 Golden on my PC today.

I'm just glad I can finally say that, it has been discouraging to see one of the games I love the most being trapped in the Vita and not easy to play.

This is without a doubt a first step they are taking to making these games that have a higher potential reach a wider audience, P5 Royal on PC must be on the works already, I'm positive that is the case.

And while this is in parts just hopium, this makes me think they are at least deciding on a ideal version of Persona 3 to put into the PC, and hopefully reworking it too include both the content from Portable and FES, making it a definitive edition, or to put it simply ... P3 Remake pleassssseeeee

• @happygaming I don't want to derail the topic, but you should check this one too:

Youtube Video

Mega Man X Corrupted has been in the works for years and it looks absolutely perfect! There's tons of other videos on ths guy's channel.

• Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes 8.5/10

I really liked this game, and I find the reception it got to be pretty distant from my impressions of the game, it does lag on for just a bit at some points, but overall it kept things varied and paced well enough that so playing the game was generally fun, and the concept and what Suda does with it is simply great.

Music design is where I was least impressed, with most music being throw away techno that I can barely stand, but visually the design of this is fantastic.

Loved it and it got me hyped for NMH3, I played the Wii games only when they came out so I had lost that passion for the series, but man has this got me excited for more NMH.

• Megaman X3

Continuing my journey through the Megaman X series, I just finished X3 today. Overall, I'd say it's probably my least favorite of the original X trilogy, but I still had a great time playing it.

X3 continued the series' tradition up to this point of adding additional collectibles and tasks to take on. In this one, you don't just have health, tanks and armor upgrades, you also have mechs that you can collect, and upgrades to your armor upgrades with chip-sets (in this case you can upgrade one piece of your choosing, or if you hold off, you get a special gold armor that upgrades everything in the final level). I felt these were better in concept than practice. I didn't really find a practical use for using any of the mech armors in levels other than finding other optional upgrades, and would have loved to use the different mechs in specified parts of levels designed specifically around their use. The locations of all of these upgrades in general were a lot better placed compared to the previous game though, which created more a good puzzle of how to access the upgrades instead of the frustration of guessing which wall it could be behind.

The bosses of X3 were also sort of a letdown for me. With the exception of a handful of the bosses, I found the best strategy typically was to do the figure-8 wall jump. Most bosses in X3 just rush towards you on the ground, and stop before they attack, which meant this movement strategy worked for the majority of all of them, but not all. The final boss is brutal because he has such a small hit box and really requires you to move. This sort of thing was just something I found to be the exception, not the norm. The weaknesses of bosses had a lot less logic to it in my brain as well this time around. Even though I know the weaknesses now, there wasn't ever a point where I had an 'a-ha!' moment where I obtained a weapon and knew which opponent it should work against.

Music is an interesting case here. Compared to past X games, X3 feels like a lot of the sound doesn't have that punch or drive you'd get from the X1 or X2 soundtracks. I think this is because a lot of theme portions of the tracks aren't as pronounced as they have been in the past, but it also sounds like the sound is a lot less layered than previous games as well, incorporating less variety of instruments. The lead is typically hidden in the low rhythm instruments instead of being more pronounced and standing on top. That being said, there are some really stand-out tracks that have been stuck in my head for days and are killer (Gravity Beetle is so good). They're just sitting beside others that I found particularly grating because of this sound difference. The soundtrack was eventually rearranged in CD quality when the game was re-released on the Saturn, PC and Playstation, and in my opinion many of these tracks just sound more full and pleasing (I would go back and forth and listen to the versions side by side, and generally just preferred the CD sound, but I recognize this won't be the case for everyone).

All issues aside though, there still is something cathartic and very fun about blasting robots to metal tracks and trying to figure out the rock-paper-scissors strategy of weapons to bosses. I think X3 sits at the bottom of the original trilogy for me. While the first one had a near perfect flow and amount of collectibles, X2 and X3 continued to add things that just felt a little unnecessary in my opinion because they don't add much to the experience. It's also very worth noting, not everyone is a completionist like me who wants to get and do everything. I couldn't personally stand getting to the final boss and not getting completely powered up to the max. If you pick up and play X3 today, you're still going to have a blast with fighting some robot baddies and getting powered up. You'd probably just have more fun with X or X2 before this one.

Final Score: 8/10

Now on to X4, I may do a palette cleanser game in the meantime though.

• Dead Space 2

I did play and loved the first game but never followed up on the series because - honestly - when I saw reviews for 2 with the swarms of humanoid baby monsters I decided I was not in the mood for that anxiety.

Then played it for a bit when it became BC with the X1, mostly to check to see if it was 4k. It clearly isn't, it's still under 1080p.

Now I was in the mood for some horror and finally decided to beat it.

First of all, the use of colour and lighting in this game is amazing. So is the sound design. Be it the crunchy and textured synths or the organic gore and distorted vocalisations. Superb stuff!

Good variety of locations, plenty of well thought combat situations. Some entertaining environmental puzzles to break the pace. Really enjoyed the tension throughout the whole game.

The story is kind of whatever, but pretty effective in contextualising setting and fuelling characters arch.

Then in the last 60 minutes things kind of collapse. Locations get boring, combat cenarios feel more random, even the art direction takes a hit. Final boss is a super short fight, feels clumsy.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Weird that not that long ago EA was putting out some really high quality single player games.

• @phbz I played the first one but also never got around to the second. Despite some of my favorite movies being Alien and The Thing, I couldn't really get into it as much.

If you're interested and haven't seen it though, there's a really fascinating 3-Part Game Maker's Toolkit series on the evolution of the Dead Space trilogy I'd recommend. Really gets into why EA changed a lot of elements for each consecutive game.

• @happygaming I'll check it out. Thanks! I remember when 3 released that there was some talk about shady practices from EA but don't recall what exactly.

• Time for

Mega Man X4

X4 came out in two years after the third entry in the series, and in that time, Capcom built a whole new engine the game would run on. Now running entirely on CD technology, the game has sounds and looks much different than the three that came before. I'm a very big fan of the PS1 sprite look! I love the animations and how so much happens on screen now, in the background or foreground. Explosions really pop and even in the first level you see them throwing as much as they can at you with giant bosses and tons of robots to blow up.

I can't say they hold up, but I'm also a big fan of the anime cutscenes. The 90's anime aesthetic really comes through in a charming way. However as much as I would like to say that it adds a new layer to the story, the majority of the time it just feels like extra dressing on what would otherwise be text in front of sprites like was previously done to establish plot events.

Speaking of plot though, I did feel like there's a good balance to how the game adds a little bit more context to whats going on. It's not enough to get in the way or make you care about the boss enemies, but having a couple lines of dialogue before you fight a boss is a nice addition. On top of that, like in X1, there's more of an emphasis on what the enemy characters are actually doing in the world. It makes them feel more like they have a purpose and less like they're just bad guys waiting to fight you.

Boss fights in this game as well I had a very good time with! There really are a ton of different environments and ways you need to tackle each fight. Unlike in X3 where bosses largely stay stationary on the ground and you can just wall jump around them, each enemy has a different style you'll need to master and get used to. Jet Stingray stays close to the wall so you'll need to stay on the ground, and Magma Dragoon has lava on both sides of the arena, making climbing the wall a risky option altogether. There's really a good encouragement in the boss layout to figure out new ways to maneuver and fight.

In terms of level layouts, there's generally a very good emphasis on variety. Every area has a unique feel, color and setting that makes them feel visually distinct. The snow level is nice and chilly, and the fire level is hot and treacherous. However it's not just the visuals that set these areas apart; each level has a little quirk or differentiation that makes it feel and play different from the others. One level has a lot of elevator bits where you dodge spikes. One is on a jetski. One has you timing and dodging lasers beams. One has you on a timer to see how fast you can get to the end of set areas. Sometimes it isn't a ton, but the differences really help with making each area more fun to go through than some other stages have been in the past, where things can kind of bleed together.

I think there were a good amount of upgrades in this one. Two health tanks, a weapon tank, armor upgrades, and a blue capsule that lets you start with more lives. Most of these are choreographed in a nice way to peak your curiosity, although one is a little out of eyesight, so may be frustrating if you're not checking every wall corner in the level. I also liked that there are two options for the X-Buster upgrade: You can get one that lets you shoot three charged blasts in reserve, or one that has a super powerful shot one time that leaves chip damage behind. It doesn't really change up how you play the game regardless of the one you choose, but the option is nice.

I also wanted to touch on the music, as Mega Man music is some of my favorite in the industry when it's done well. This soundtrack is... just alright. The tracks are never bad or grating, but they almost never stand out as anything more than atmospheric. There are some nice rhythm and drums going on, but not really any stand out lead parts save for a track or two. This is disappointing considering when I think of Mega Man music, I generally think of fast hard guitar.

Lastly, I wanted to touch on Zero. I played through the game in its entirety with both Mega Man and Zero and what I noticed was that this is definitely a game that was designed for Mega Man first, and Zero as an afterthought. A lot of the bosses are a lot more difficult as Zero just because they're not designed to be attacked at close range. Zero also doesn't get as many upgrades from bosses the same way X does. When he gets an upgrade, generally it feels like something that you should have already had instead of a cool weapon that will make you feel super powerful. You'll unlock things like a double jump, or an air dash, a more powerful Z-Saber. Save for a few weapons, it doesn't feel like they're additional powers to take on bosses in that addicting "rock-paper-scissors" style that makes you feel super powerful when you get it right against a boss, and makes Mega Man games so fun. A lot of the bosses just aren't as fun to tackle as Zero because you never get that sort of overpowered puzzle solving feeling. It would have been nice to have more upgrades in the sense that it actually compliments beating bosses, but also have more unique bosses for Zero in general. Each character gets one unique boss fight in their campaign, and it would have been awesome to have more of these that compliment each character's movements and play styles. As is though, especially some of the final bosses really show off why you can't just use the same boss with two different characters when one relies entirely on close range combat and the other uses only ranged. Bosses like Storm Owl are almost entirely out of range for close-quarters the entire fight, and makes it a trial in frustration to get through.

Zero aside, this is the most fun I've had with a game in the X series since the first, and I'd say it just barely beats out the second for me. The new engine is beautiful and puts lots of noise and action on the screen. Every stage is a blast to go through, and every boss feels different and unique. It would have been nice to have a bit better music tracks, and it would have been excellent to have utilized Zero more for the game in general, but as it stands, Mega Man X4 is a very fun time!

Final Score: 8.9/10

if you only play as Zero: I don't know, 7/10?

• Minit

Something of a sleeper hit a couple years ago, and I have to admit I don't get it at all. I like short games that know what they are a lot, but this game isn't about anything. It's just a clumsy Zelda clone with a conceit---one that it does very little with. I guess it's dressed up ok? Like for its pixel art and monochrome I always knew what things were. I don't know what I was hoping for here. If it was the product of a game jam or something I might have appreciated it more.

• @ringedwithtile I can understand. I loved the aesthetic of the game, but I would have liked to have a little more Zelda style adventure moments. The time limit feels to me like it would be more appealing if I were into speed-running games or watching speed runs, but that's not my thing. I'd definitely have enjoyed Minut more if I got to take a knee, take my time, and just generally appreciate the world and characters a little more, even though that's not really how the game is designed.

Still, it was charming and kept me busy for a couple afternoons when I picked it up on sale.

• GTA V for the second time-this time on PS4.

• The Last of Us 2

I didn't like the 1st one so recapped it before playing this. I still hate encountering enemies in these. As much as I agree that there are too many resources, the game forcefully limits your inventory which I hate even more considering there is possibility to have so many fights and end up fighting a boss without really anything. Gameplay has improved quite a bit but I felt I played this like an MGS game instead of like a ND game.

The game is long but it had evenly good moments I liked and has lots of Uncharted 4 in it. ND is amazing giving you beautiful game with animations and subtle things. It is technically an impressive game and wanted to give them another chance but I just don't like this type of game that annoys more than pleases.
    I didn't mind too much on a story but I didn't hate it nor love it. It is what it is. And I did tear up couple of times.

Final Score: 7.5
    -American Football Roller Coaster-

• I don't really want to go into any detail since it's so short that even the most basic stuff is kinda spoiler-y but DEATH COME TRUE was pretty cool. I don't know much of anything about Danganronpa but it's made by the same guy so if you're a fan of those maybe check this out. And if you're not, hey check it out anyway it's only fifteen bucks.

• Last of Us 2.
    (no spoilers)

I feel like this game could have a few hours less. There's a whole chunk that could be better developed and made DLC but instead is squeezed in.

There's a certain dullness to this game, starts to feel too familiar, until it isn't. Meaning that while at times it's way too predictable to the point of starting to feel boring it also throws you curve balls often enough. And then even at that becomes predictable too. "Oh no another setback, that like what the 50th?"

But at the same time the moment to moment in this game is mostly superb. Combat is violent af but it is great fun to experiment with. Level design helps too. Locations feel real, offering good variety. Then when you're not fighting you'll be exploring the most detailed environments I've ever seen. Fantastic world building and environmental storytelling, well... except for the super lazy usage of letters and notes. And when you're not fighting or exploring you'll be watching quality passive storytelling. Which sucks, because me personally would like to see Naugty Dog pushing for more agency to the player's narrative.

It is a really great game. Fantastic artistic direction and sound design. Very well written. Great combat from stealth to melee, all weapons feel great. Animation work miles away from the competition. Also stellar performances from the whole cast.

Btw, impossible to play this game on my Pro without headphones. A literal jet engine.