Last game you finished

• Gears Hivebusters DLC

This is the kind of thing I wish to see more on Gamepass. High quality content short in duration. This story DLC goes into the formation of team Scorpio, already introduced as an online mode in Gears 5 and now get its origin story as single player dlc.

It's Gears... it won't make anyone a new fan but for those who already like the series it's a nice extra. Looks gorgeous, well written and for the most part is a really well paced, mixing pure action with more curated moments of exposition. Certainly a story line I would like to see expanded. 7.8/10

• Fable
    This took me the longest time to finish. Started it several times during the years never could push myself to play it too long. 2020 was the right year. It's really full of cool ideas but ultimately everything feels disjointed. An amalgamation of good ideas not fully developed.

Really wonderful music and incredibly the visuals at 4k and HDR look great. It's done!

6.5/10

• Yakuza 5 Remastered

Enjoyed it more than 4 and 3, it was cool to see some of the characters returning (Akiyama is quickly becoming my favorite). It's a looooong game, and the pacing is all over the place, which makes the main story a bit tricky to follow. Hard to remember so many names and faces when you've got 10-hour interludes of hunting or dancing. But it deserves praise for being much more ambitious than the previous games, with so many cities, mini-games, side activities... Probably the most expansive game in the series?

I loved playing as Haruka, it felt like an entirely separate game but it was refreshing and I'm really happy to see her finally being developed as a character after so many games. Can't wait to see where they go from here in 6.

Taxi driving/racing was also a really fun and original side-activity, but I didn't care much for hunting or baseball. These chapters both seemed to arrive at a moment when I wanted the main story to continue, so I was reluctant to invest too much time into a separate storyline which I knew would ultimately have very little bearing on the big picture. I can't complain though, since it's totally optional and you can blaze through the main objectives if that's all you care about.

After playing 4 I was a bit down on the series but 5 rekindled the flame. I'll take a break before finally diving into 6, which promises to be an epic finale.

• @axel

so question: I'm concerned that I'll be disappointed playing the third game with its simpler upscale after playing Kiwami 2 on that new pretty engine. Should this be a concern? I know I can technically play them out of order, but I'm a stickler for playing things in order...

• @happygaming It's a bit of a shock going from Kiwami 2 to 3, visually you'll definitely feel it. The combat system will also feel a bit archaic and limited compared to the recent titles.

What saved it for me was the new setting and characters, which I found refreshing (having visited the real place less than a year ago, I found it even more endearing). From what I've read online, this is the least essential to the overall storyline, although there's definitely callbacks to it in later games. If you're as intent as I was to play the entire series in order, I'd say it's absolutely worth it, especially since it's relatively short.

It also depends how long it's been since you beat Kiwami 2, as it's easy to get burned out on the Yakuza formula if you play them all in a row. If it's been a while and you're feeling the itch for more, then go for it, it's still a good game.

• Blasted through Watch Dogs, and I enjoyed it. It's an competent and relatively safe open world game. Since I played WD2 first, it's certainly hard to shake off the feeling that I downgraded to a worse experience, but I think it's still a decent game.

The story had a few good moments, and beating the villain does feel satisfying since the game did well to make me hate him, but it's a flatline for most of it. Which is a shame, since I kinda like the hardboiled edgy vibe of it, although it's gets too melodramatic at times.

The main story missions are fun enough to make me want to blast through all of it, but they are noticeably lacking in objective variety. It does end with a really good mission, but there's not many standout missions gameplay-wise. There's some pretty cool ones setting-wise though, like the sex trafficking one.

I think what this game lacks the most is the little details. You know, the kind of detail that you would notice and made you think that real people worked on this game. Little touches of personality here and there, the game really has little of that. Chicago can feel like a soulless city at times, even when I'm having fun with the side activities and such. There's just not enough flavor to it all. I think the game needs more of things like Bedbug, he's like this young wholesome gangsta dude that really ended in the wrong place, and his interactions with Aiden is a highlight for me. There's only a few good characters in this game, and he is certainly the most likeable for me.

Another thing I really don't like is the negative tendencies of the side stories. Why are there so many conversations and texts about vulgar sex stuff? Some of it are even domestic violence stuff. It's kinda disturbing tbh. It made me actively avoid hacking into conversations and such... Which I guess is a good thing to teach to people, so at least there's that.

While this game didn't really impress me at times, at least this game will make me appreciate WD2 more, and I think it's worth playing through because of it. (6/10)

Now it's time for me to replay WD2! Really excited to see how well it holds up.

• Super Bomberman R

Picked it up on sale for 7€, and it's not worth much more. The campaign is barely alright, there's some very poor enemy and level design in there, which is pretty incredible for a formula as old and basic as Bomberman. So much more could be done with it, I'm pretty sure the old Super NES games were better than this. At least it's a fun party game to have in my Switch library.

• @axel remember when it was full price at Switch launch? Nuts

• Gears 5 Hivebusters. Not much talk about this one. But it's a brilliant 3 hours. Recommended for anyone who has gamepass.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Yeah I'm glad I held off all this time, the only reason I bought it now was the very low price and I had friends coming over so I thought it'd be fun for a few games. For multiplayer purposes it does the job, there's a lot of unlockable characters and stages too, Konami classics like Solid Snake or Simon Belmont. The campaign feels like it was rushed and/or handled by junior designers though.

• And I grinded a lot because I wanted to collect materials and level up my stats. You can see that I have it going more to the right which wasn't my intention so I guess I did something wrong because I didn'n know how to balance it.

• Mark of the Ninja

Not so much fun, gets repetitive after a while and options for the stealth not very deep or wide. You usually find yourself using the similar methods. Story is not very intriguing too. Shank series is still Klei's best.

Deus Ex GO

This year I finished all of the GO games from Square and I can easily say that this is the most boring and dullest one. Tomb Raider was the peak point, Hitman wasn't great but I still had some fun in that but for this one I just continued to play to just finish it and add it to the list.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Uncharted is my favourite game franchise ever and Uncharted 4 is my all time favourite in video games. Since the announcement of PlayStation Vita(those time it was called NGP) I was so curious to experience this game and now after 9 years, I did it.

If I would cut the game 3 equal parts I'd say first part was underwhelming, second part was really fun and had me thinking "I guess it will be a nice one" but third part was not that good too unfortunately. Game has 3 big problems:

-Forced Vita features(especially those dumb balance things)
    -Unnecessarily long game time(which causes the game to become really repetitive and tiring)
    -Frame rate(try to go into those shootouts towards the end with below 20 FPS)

Another problem is, because of hardware limitations, Uncharted's trademark set-pieces are not here and the ones which try to be those were weak.

So yeah, I finally finished it and enjoyed it with all things considered but it's not that great and I guess I was more excited about it when I couldn't get a chance to play.

Monument Valley

Pros: Beatiful art pieces, smart level design, good difficulty balance, nice soundtrack, fluid gameplay

Cons: A little bit short even for a mobile game.

The best mobile game I've ever played and I'm glad that I didn't start with the second one before buying this.

• @scotty I quite enjoyed Mark of the Ninja, do you think it's fair to criticize the breadth and depth of an indie stealth game?

• @jdincinerator

Maybe it sounds like I'm comparing it with AAA's but actually it's not like that. I didn't have any game in my mind which stealth is better while writing that opinion. I'm dissapointed because I was expecting more variety after all the praise about the stealth gameplay.

• This post is deleted!

• @JDINCINERATOR

Why did you delete it? You swore didn't you!!?? 😳

• @scotty No haha I accidentally wrote something about the best year of this past videogame generation on this discussion page.

• @jdincinerator

I'm teasing you.

• @scotty Oh gosh don't give me an elevated heartrate! Haha.

• @jdincinerator

Happy new years my friend, wherever you are. ✌️