Last game you finished

• Tell me Why

For a company which much of its Gameplay consists of dialogue and environmental interactions DONTNOD should at this point have a much more well integrated and seamless system on how this two interact without - for example - losing a conversation just because you looked at a cup.

And in all honesty I would like them to lose their esoteric crutch for storytelling.

Other than that this is another great title from them and in some aspects their best. Less reliant on plot twists, more focused and grounded.

7.8/10

• Donut County

A cool idea that fails to effectively materialize. It's fun enough to swallow stuff into a hole but it doesn't really expand on its core idea until very near the end. And the way as the narrative ties all together, while light hearted and funny, it's for the most part underdeveloped and at times annoying.
    Visually it's just functional, borderline competent.

Seemed like the kind of game I would love but ended up disappointing. 5.5/10

• Desperados 3

What an incredible game! Tactical games are always a personal favourite of mine but this game really pushes the envelop. Polished graphical presentation, impressive voice acting in quantity and quality, plus an engaging narrative and rich cast of characters. But these just nice extras on top of an incredibly solid core.

All along the 3 chapters, in a total of 16 missions, Desperados never feels stagnant. It takes its time to introduce its characters and all their mechanical nuances and levels are varied, huge and complex.

Hard game but with an extremely generous save system that encourages experimentation. 9.2/10

• @phbz

I don't like this genre but I may make an exception for this, looks fun.

• @scotty If you're on Gamepass you should definitely play it even if not all through the end. It might get a bit too hardcore for someone not into the genre.

• The Medium

Greg Miller said it best when he described The Medium as a PS2 game running on next gen hardware. Though I would not call this game survival horror and coming to it with those expectations will probably set you up for disappointment.

This is more of an esoteric themed mystery game, very much a 3rd person walking sim , with some classic point n click influences. Very little of survival or horror.

Really enjoyed how personal the story is, even as it expands its scope. Cinematography is great in how meticulously shots are composed and camera motion is set. Also really like how subdued everything is, with very little usage of hollywooesc tropes for the genre, although it might prevent it from having a larger commercial appeal.

Music is not bad, just ok, same with sound design. Been seeing some praise for it, honestly I don't see it.

On the negative. Technical hiccups, being the worst offender the frame pacing. Classic Bloober Team bad optimization. But the worst is the game's failure in solidifying gameplay mechanics, having to resort too often to inform you in the form of written notifications instead of good game design. Not incredibly serious or unique in the walking sim space but it's what prevents it being better.

It feels quite unique and personal. Perfect short game to play on a rainy weekend.

(Good news for the Team. They already recouped their production and marketing investment.)

• It's been over two years but I've just completed Red Dead Redemption 2 and damn the amount of amazing and memorable moments in that one game is unfathomable until you experience it. When we have an Ubisoft Assassins Creed game every year or two and none of them can hold a matchstick up to the skyscraper-sized inferno RDR2 is, then that just shows you just how exceptional and gargantuan RDR2 is. There really should be greater expectations of those who make open world sandbox games because RDR2 should now be that measuring stick. It's not really in the size that makes RDR2 brilliant, it's the cavalcade of moments and visuals that leave a mark as well as the characters, missions, music, dialogue and the multitude of ways RDR2 rewards and values players and their time spent in its vast and palatial world.

• Finished TOHU. As someone who rarely plays point-and-click adventure games, the puzzles in this game really kicked my ass. I feel like I tacked 50% of the puzzles on my own, and the rest I needed a hint of some kind. Thankfully there's a pretty helpful hint system (and walkthroughs on YouTube). Despite this, the puzzles themselves are at least creative enough that I still enjoy the process of trying to figure them out. Also, the puzzle types are very varied, which is awesome.

I think this game's main strength is its beautifully illustrated and animated adorable world, and it's so fun to see how quirky it can get. The levels are quite varied in terms of atmosphere and aesthetic, and the soundtrack helps each level to feel more unique. While the story itself is pretty one-dimensional (and the ending kinda sucks), the characters and situations that you'll interact with keeps it engaging enough. There's some really neat small interactions in each level as well.

I think it took me about 4-5 hours to finish this, and it doesn't feel like the game had filler moments or went for too long. I think it could have been even better if it had some quality of life options (being able to speed up time, for example), if the story was deeper, or if there was some accessibility options (there's one color-coded puzzle that troubled me), but I would still recommend it. (7.5/10)

Also, I'm glad to see Blood tried this game out as well, he talked about it in the latest Frame Trap. I tweeted one of the tracks from this game at him sometime ago, so maybe I had a hand in making him play it...

• Tried The Little Nighmares II demo on PC.

It's fun. Reminds me the Limob&Inside a lot but looks like it's going to be more enjoyable than those; especially Inside. I bought the first game last fall, will try to finish it before playing this one.

• Finished up Mega Man 11 for my Community Showcase review this month if anyone is down to watch the whole thing before Ben and Jones watch 3 minutes of it!

https://bit.ly/3pJO1HE

• In between reviews I played through and finished Link's Awakening on the Switch.

It's been a longtime favorite of mine; the original is in my top three Zelda games ever, and was one of my favorite games growing up. The remake definitely does the original justice. The music is remade incredibly with full instrumentation (with the exception being Animal Village that sounds just bad, like a keyboard playing animal noises). Because it was a long time since I'd revisited it, I got to rediscover the game again like it was my first time, and parts hit hard when everything clicked. My girlfriend and I played through together and it was really a treat contemplating where to go next, or having her look something up while I took the reigns. It's small enough to never be cumbersome, but can take a good deal of time if you want to collect everything (or get lost in the claw game and fishing like I did. While it's been a while since I played on GameBoy, being able to hold two items while also using your sword and shield is something I didn't know would be a privilege, and even though you still do a lot of item switching, it's much easier to go through dungeons because you don't switch nearly as much.

For me the downsides are minor. The frame rate suffers, and I think it's probably because they didn't have the areas scroll in square areas like the original, so the Switch had a hard time rendering everything. I wouldn't have minded more scrolling areas for better performance. The other nitpicky thing I have is with the trading sequence and some things in the main quest just not being very well explained. There were parts we had to look a couple of things up, but it didn't detract nearly enough to make us have a bad time. Dampe's Zelda Dungeon maker wasn't bad, but I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever outside the spoils for doing the challenges. Other than that, this game is an absolute delight. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it revitalized that feeling of adventure and whimsy I haven't had from games in so long.

9/10

• @phbz

I’m sure somewhere I shared my thoughts on Tell Me Why (maybe in the official thread), and I pretty much agree with you. As Don’t Nod continues to release games, it’s like they are leaning into their shortcomings more so than looking to make improvements. LiS2 and Tell Me Why are solid enough, but also start to get frustrating with their flaws.

I just completed Ori and the Will of the Wisps with 80% overall completion. I think I’m going to clean up and get 100% because I’m so close and I want to see if there is any special insight.

Adored this game and it’s become an all time favourite. I think it doesn’t get enough credit and can give Hollow Knight a run for its money. Challenging enough to keep you stimulated while easy enough to avoid frustration.

The only thing I would like to see improvements on is your ability to freely use your tools to discover places earlier or just have outside the box thinking like Zelda BotW or even Dark Souls 1 where I can go straight to the catacombs if I want to.

Basically, Ori 2 is what a sequel should be—a massive improvement in all areas, but mainly combat. If you weren’t into Ori 1, try this because it’s that much better.

9.5/10

• Age of Calamity. One of the best DW spin-offs ever made. It's in that #1 spot for best DW game.

• Finished up Cyberpunk today at about 72 hours. Plus some restart/bug/glitch time. Could probably just round up to 73h.

• Finished GTA: Vice City for the first time in ages. Absolutely love Vice City and I think it's one of those games that is timeless because I almost enjoy it as much now as I did back in 2002.

• @jdincinerator Not to mention my trophy percentage for Vice City sits at a suggestive 69%.

• Cyber Shadow

Kinda weird, usually I'm not against games being difficult but I didn't really enjoyed how this game deals with difficulty. From about half way it has a huge spike and many times it reminded me of the typical bad level design we get in Mario Maker in how just because you can beat it and it's hard doesn't mean it feels rewarding or good. Boss fights on the other hand are for the most part too easy, weird unbalanced experience.

Nice art style, not really exciting buy competent. The music apart from 3 or 4 really good tracks it's just there and at times gets annoying.

It does control great and has some cool moments.

6.5/10

• Finally finished up Hollow Knight. Or at least I got an ending in the game.

Overall, I love it to death, but definitely have some nitpicks, mainly I think the game is too long, I think there are too many side activities that only pay off with achievements or trophies rather than tangible in-game rewards, and the lore-based story telling just isn't for me (same with the Souls games and the like, I just can't even comprehend a story that's told in this way). The first 3/4 of the game though are golden. There's so much the game does right in terms of presenting the world gradually, letting you explore, and making that exploration feel rewarding and challenging. Every area is alive in different ways, and are easily identifiable. I love the combat with the use of pins to find your own way you like to play as you go along, and the healing by collecting essence and putting yourself at risk to do it.

I think overall, I don't have many complaints other than what I've stated earlier, as well as the last section of the game just not having that satisfaction I would have liked from other games in the genre I just prefer for various reasons. Extra bosses and replaying bosses isn't a plus for me. Getting achievements doesn't do anything for me. But exploring the world and meeting the various characters and getting to know Hollownest and Dirtmouth was definitely the highlight for me. I love how expressive every character is, and I love seeing their various small arcs play out.

It's a beautifully animated, tough game that has a vast and incredibly well constructed and realized world to explore with a little too much to do and not enough plot explaining for me. This was the second time I played through it after starting over (first time completing it), and I still burnt out near the end when you're primarily backtracking through places either for side activities or to test areas for small progressions. Money had no meaning when I was done because I'd purchased everything from the stores, and had no need for small collectibles that I could sell.

All that aside, I'm still stoked for Silksong. I'll probably give it some time before jumping in when it comes out though. Especially if it's as meaty a game as Hollow Knight, and as lengthy. This is clearly just such a talented and dedicated team, I'm very excited if anything to see what sorts of ideas they bring to the sequel and how they can improve some of those nitpicks from this first game.

8.8/10

• Just finished and platinumed The Walking Dead Collection and it's been a thrillride of an experience. Season One reminded me of why I fell in love with the series and the momentum has stayed convincingly solid throughout the 4 seasons. The first season was utterly brilliant and it laid incredible foundations to follow. Season 2 shook things up with more brilliant drama and tough decisions to make. Season 3 was a little underwhelming but the familial aspect made it buoyant and generally decent right. The Final Season capped things off in a remarkable fashion with improved gameplay and refined visuals and did its utmost to make you invested in what was going on through its stellar storytelling. If I had to rank the seasons from best to worst I'd say S1,S4,S2 and S3. As for episodes my top 5 are S1E2, S1E3, S4E2, S1E5 and S2E2. I'd say altogether this collection is worth of an excellent 8.7/10.

• Super Mario 3D World

Ok, this game is fcking amazing. Wow! Like every decent human I like to complain about Nintendo releasing old stuff but also like any decent human being one has to surrender and embrace ye olde Mario. This is really Mario at its best, insane creativity. And playing some of it in co-op with my girl was a crazy good time.

The countdown timer kinda goes against the nature of the game and rushes the player needlessly. Camera at times is inadequate but nothing major.

9/10