Last game you finished

• Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS)

Just like the original the gameplay is excellent but the story and characters are kinda boring. The story is actually not too bad and it has some cool ideas near the end but it's just that the dialogue is very long-winded so I ended up skipping most the cutscenes.

The gameplay is where it's at with these Bravely Default games. Bravely Second has a really great selection of jobs, some very cool new ones and interesting takes on the classics. The Boss fights are all excellent. The battle system is the same as the first game but it's really good. I also like that has a lot of QoL features like changing the encounter rate and difficulty when you want.

• I finished zelda awakening, I found the game really fun with simple, effective gameplay

• Tunic

Kinda mandatory to say it... Dark Souls meets Zelda, not an unfair comparison tbh.

My main complaint is that it could be a bit longer. Character design isn't great either. Combat is fine but it could be better, it SHOULD be better actually, because level design and how the in-game game manual works are stellar.

Level design is what you imagine a mix of isometric Zelda and Dark Souls should be. But the coolest thing really is that many shortcuts are not locked, they're hidden in plain sight and often you feel "stupid" for missing them (in a good way).

Then you have the manual. The game gives you very little info and while you explore you find its pages that give you hints about controls, lore and puzzles. A really good idea, very well executed.

For sure it will be on my top of 2022.

9/10

• @phbz

Damn, you're selling me on it here. I couldn't quite get a feel for the game from reviews but I love well made Zelda clones. Dark Souls backtracking to unlock shortcuts is probably one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

• Wrote a short review on Ape Escape. TLDR: I loved it and now the AE sequels are near the very top of my PS Plus classics wishlist.

https://ggapp.io/theebigbamtheory/reviews/ape-escape/0qoeBOEK

• Umurangi Generation

This game has 84 on Metacritic and I honestly don't get it.

The concept is interesting enough, you are a photographer during war but for the most part what you do is taking photos to people living their lives. Which could be great.

The graphics are PSX style and although too rough I like the style. Not incredibly well executed but fine.

Music is great. The only great thing about this game.

Level design is terrible. Movement feels horrible. The tasks in each level are not great. Every thing is so amateur and underdeveloped, it's a mystery how this is so highly rated.

3/10

• I've been tucking into Sniper Elite 5 these past few days. While the satisfaction of crunching skulls with crispy head, heart, lung, torso and testicle shots with a precision sniper's efficiency never gets old, and the improved combat makes SE5 a more capable third-person shooter than ever before, but it does feel quite rigidly designed.

First of all, the open areas may appear to give you more legroom to tackle objectives, they tend to include many of the same kinds of objectives. You're either blowing a structure up, taking out a target Nazi or infiltrating a base. There's very little reason to care about what you are doing because context and characters are flat and unengaging-especially the stonehead you play as Karl Fairburne.

Seriously Fairburne is like an emotionless action man all about killing Nazis and offering minor insights into the guns you pick up off the ground. I know Nazi killing is what people play Sniper Elite for, but these games seem to have the intellect level of a donut because they don't evolve past the "Nazis are bad so they need to die" mindset.

Thankfully I feel like the historical backbone and the environments you sharpshoot in are quite lovely. Desolate beaches, hilly bunkers, rural courtyards and castles are among the levels you will trek through, but they're somewhat diminished by the labyrinthian nature of some of them with many rooms and hallways that lead to other off-shooting rooms and hallways-can be quite a monotonous task to navigate them at times.

I hear murmurings about people saying Sniper Elite 5 is great because it's like Metal Gear Solid and Hitman. Yes there are echoes of those stealth action juggernauts in here, but let's not get carried away-Sniper Elite 5 is not as great as they are, and it doesn't do much to stand up on its own two feet-Hitman and Metal Gear Solid appear to be the crutches Sniper Elite leans on too heavily to support itself because without them it'll collapse in whimpering agony.

Anyway with all this waffling I did like Sniper Elite 5 but I don't think there has been enough of an evolution since the previous game came out 5 years ago. It's good, but I don't think there's enough here to make it a worthy purchase. Oh and paying extra for the Hitler dlc is a shitty move.

Overall
    7.1/10

• @jdincinerator how does it compare to Sniper Elite 4? I remember enjoying the third game back in the day, but I played the 4th game recently and it's just not as exciting as I wanted it to be.

• @bam541 I find Sniper Elite 5 sorta similar to Sniper Elite 4 in various ways. I do think the combat has improved some and the open environments might be a nice change, but I really don't see significant strides forward with SE5.

• A Memoir Blue - A Journey Into the Depths of Memory

Not really a game, more like an interactive animation.

It's a short experience that you'll go through in one sitting. Well paced, visually appealing, with a good soundtrack to go along.

It's a touching emotional story, that is easy for one to identify with. Yet it lacks something to really elevate the whole package.

If you have Game Pass don't miss it, otherwise I don't think it's worth it unless it's really cheap.

7/10

• I have rectified a gaming sin of mine. I have finished The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time all the way through. Finished the 3DS version, which was my first attempt trying to play it around when the 3DS version came out lol. Twice stopped after fighting Gohma. So thankfully got over that mental hump. Truly can see why this game is one of the best games made. Great transferring what made Link to the Past great, but expanding it all into a 3D setting with some more great things added, but still feels different at the same time.

• Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP)

I am not the biggest fan of Tactics Ogre so I was quite surprised just how much I loved this game because it is quite similar but a big improvement. I really love the job system here. They really give you a lot of freedom right from the start. Unlike Final Fantasy V or the Bravely games you unlock jobs by leveling up jobs so you can get some good jobs already early on in the game if you grind a little.
    I like that your party size is small compared to other turn based strategy games, it allows you to really focus on every character and build them the way you like without ever becoming overwhelmed by it.
    There a lot of great jobs and abilities and the core gameplay mechanics are really great as well.

It has the same issues however as the other Final Fantasy games from that era. The cutscenes are unskipable and dying boots you back to the title screen, meaning it can a good 5 minutes or more until you get back in the action after you die.
    The biggest problem is its inconsistent difficulty. There are some huge difficulty spikes and drops. One battle you feel like you hit a brick wall and the next battles you feel way too overpowered. The difficulty is never quite right and it really brings the game down. If it wasn't for this it would have probably been one of my favorite strategy games ever.
    It's a shame they didn't bother to fix this for the PSP version because for the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre they did rebalance the difficulty.

• I suspect Silt is quite under-the-radar for many of you, but if you enjoyed Limbo and Inside, you might find this subterranean puzzle adventure quite a treat. Personally, I like Silt, it's a beautiful and inspired puzzler that's brief but it leaves an indelible impression. My only significant gripe with Silt is the spike in difficulty during Chapter 4, it really undoes the pacing and it could hack you off, unless you're better at puzzle games than I am. I think you guys should check it out if you're at all curious, but this dive doesn't last long.

Overall
    7.8/10

• Tales of Xillia

Definitely one of the top entries in the series. I'm thankful however that it still retains the critical things that essentialy make a Tales game.
    I've also held onto the sequel since its release but I'm going to personally break it up with a different game until I choose to head on into the follow up.

• Just finished Industria. It's a slower paced Half-Life esque singleplayer FPS game. It's nowhere near as good as those HL games but it fills the void decently. Too many fast paced shooters these days for my liking. Wrote a longer review here.

• Silt

As someone who loves Limbo and has diving as a hobby I was really hyped on this game. But this was really disappointing and more so because sound design and art work are stunning.

Level design has very little to it, but the worst sin are the puzzles which for the most part are over simplistic and do nothing for world building. This feels like a prototype of a cool game that needed some serious game design to be implemented on top the great atmosphere which the sound and visuals already provide.

Fortunately it's short enough to avoid frustration.

6/10

• @bam541
    Saw that pop up on the PSN store, been debating on getting it since it's only like $20

• @dmcmaster just wait for a sale, it's not super well optimized yet so it's better to wait while they patch it and stuff

• @bam541
    Will do, will instead use that $20 for the Capcom Arcade Stadium thing.

• Perhaps it's too early to say I've "finished" The Quarry, but after a thorough and complete single playthrough, here are my thoughts:

To start I must say I have conflicting feelings about The Quarry. I think it's a gripping horror adventure with many different and varied outcomes, it's really impressive how events can play out. On top of this, it's easy to appreciate how damn hard SuperMassive have worked making this game work so very well with all it has going on in it. I do also have a fondness for big cinematic adventure games where you make choices that alter the outcomes-very few frustrations come with these kinds of games and The Quarry is no exception.

Now I've got scratch all the niggling fleas out of my scraggly neck-long blonde hair. I don't really know where to start-so I'll just dive into the deep end like some of the characters do during the experience.

Firstly, I don't know if any game has summoned such a detestable cast of idiotic teenaged morons. Seriously I want to sucker punch these ingrates and pinch their youthful ballsacks with pliers so tight and hard you wouldn't even want to know the aftermath. Not only do I have a hard time listening to these wisecracking and cliche-cussing nimrods, but they look hideous.

Yahtzee said it best when he described one of the female characters by saying "the stocky sexy girl character in particular looks like she's trying to talk through a bagel that has been hot-glued to her face," they simply look like they've been scuba diving below the uncanny valley sea level too far down and for too long.
    Now, these characters couldn't look any worse than Quantic Dream's efforts in Detroit: Become Human, but considering that game shares several similarities with The Quarry-let's just say they both wanted cinematic lusciousness at the expense of the traditional videogame playing we all y'know play games for.

I think one of the major problem The Quarry has is that it's unable to make the characters interesting from the start, so you get roped into a ten hour trek through teenage hell and it becomes really hard to care about what happens to anybody. All the characters are generally stereotypes of what teenagers these days are. You got the social media obsessive, the obnoxious showoff douchebag, the alternative one and the dependable if sporty frat boy type. They could've put in the self-harming goth type and a nerdy bookworm type and it'd be a complete cast of angsty, insecure and smelly body odor reeking rejects and dumb plums.

I know I should be thankful that SuperMassive gave us the ability to deliver disturbing deaths to each of these turnip twisters, but I've had to listen to them for too long to inject my serum of prolonged patience into my right bicep.

Another biting realization I've had is that generally The Quarry is largely the same experience structurally as their other efforts. I loved Until Dawn, but after seven years and three Dark Pictures Anthology games and now The Quarry, there's no evolution to the formula. You enter a horror adventure with a mixture of stereotypes, survive incurring dangers, all the while you collect glimpses of possibilities, clues and evidence; you have to follow quick-time events, and a minigame where you need to hold your breath to avoid danger, oh and along the way you make decisions and proceed with actions that can cause the death of cast members and alter the endings you get.

As stated, these games must be painstaking to put together, but they are the same formulaic games we've been playing for years now, and they're only getting bigger now, not better.

Generally right now I can say that I like The Quarry but nothing about it surprises me or makes me feel differently from all these Dark Pictures games. There is ample replay value, but when you that all it offers is multiple endings and scenes which will shift the story along-it will seem like plenty of hard work for quite sub-standard rewards. There needs to be more ambition and a change of genre to freshen things up, but what we have with The Quarry is a good game that's just not evolving what we've come to know at all.