Last game you finished

• Finished Deliver Us The Moon. Wrote a longer review here, as usual. It's a story-driven walking sim & puzzle game set mostly in man-made bases on the Moon. It's nothing too special, but I like the somewhat restrained approach to the storytelling, and the gameplay rarely got too annoying or boring to get in the way of it. I'm looking forward to the sequel coming this September! (7/10)

• Capcom Fighting Collection (Switch)

A decent collection, good emulation. Half of the collection consists of Darkstalkers though and most Darkstalker games are almost the same but they are good games.
    There are two games here I had never played before: Cyberbots and Red Earth. I really didn't like Cyberbots, it is atleast very different from other Capcom fighters but not my cup of tea. I didn't find any of the mechs enjoyable to play as.
    Red Earth I really loved. It has a very unique single player and it looks and plays amazing. I think it's actually one of the best Capcom fighting games from that era. It's a shame they never made more of these.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (XB1)

It's a nice visual upgrade of the original but Halo 1 is worse than I remembered. I never liked it all that much, mostly because of its horrible level design but I feel like I hate the level design even more than I did when I first played 20 something years ago. The first Halo does have the best atmosphere of the entire franchise and the story is nice and simple.

• Jak X: Combat Racing Played on the PS5 | PS4 Version

Very good action racing game! Probably one of the top ones on the PS2 at the time. Story was well rounded enough for the Jak and Daxter world itself. Chaotic and grimey enough! The Adventure Mode mission variety is insane. Maybe like 10 different mission types?! And each Grand Prix Cup offers a good challenge, especially if you want Gold for all of em!
    Only real gripe I have is that you can be moved so dramatically at times. If you hit a lip on the road, have fun having to get your car oriented again lol. And for certain mission types, like a Time Trial type, that is not very helpful.

But I do really love this game and definitely would recommend! (8.5/10)

• Citizen Sleeper

One of those games that pushes traditional videogame definitions. Visuals are minimal, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's books with more visual work put into. A lot of reading involved, in fact this is a choose your own (sci-fi) adventure type of thing on a digital format.

Overall a fantastic RPG with a very unique and functional design when it comes to interactivity. Great soundtrack too. Very well written.

It could easily be a 10/10 with a better artwork and while I absolutely don't mind all the reading it's a shame that the visual work isn't appealing at all. Still it will absolutely end in my top games of 22.

9/10

• @phbz

I listed to the panel from Triple Click podcast discuss Citizen Sleeper and it sounds really cool. I'm not super into visual novels on PC because sitting and reading at my desk isn't super pleasant. But the life simulation aspects seem pretty cool.

It sounds like it uses it sci-fi genre for some pretty interesting storytelling.

I have it downloaded but want to finish a few games up before I hop in. 9/10 is high praise!

• @dipset Yeah, I started on PC and moved to console just to be more comfortable.

Not a fan of visual novels either but the gameplay loop along with the good writing makes it really engaging.

• Prey (2006)

On one side I can see how this in 2006 might have been more impactful but it also shows how a series like Half Life or Halo have always been on another level when compared with most FPS. I can also understand why some people complained about Arkane's Prey since this has absolutely nothing in common except for both featuring Aliens.

The game itself is fine. Kinda messy, with repetitive enemies, unispired weapons and visually boring. But its approach to level design with the use of portals and manipulation of gravity makes it worth to play even today.

Cool sound design and atmosphere.

6.5/10

• As Dusk Falls

Another "Choose Your Own Adventure" to add to the growing mound of them. This one is pretty good and will keep you invested and wanting to replay chapters to witness the different scenario outcomes. However, the stop-frame animation is very off-putting and will be a largely divisive motif among players. Certain scenes and character decisions don't make sense either. I can't say this one breaks the mold in any particular way, but is suitably satisfying nonetheless.

7.4/10

• Stray

Cats!

10/10

Well, it does a great job in capturing cat behaviour and making you laugh about it, particularly for a cat dude such as myself, I give them that. Stray fits right in that segment of AA titles with some AAA aspirations, which are usually characterized by a big technical proficiency and smart use of the available resources. Although unlike titles like Hellblade or Plague Tale this one falls a bit short. Nothing serious though.

My biggest annoyance is movement not being more fluid with the game forcing you to look for a key prompt to know where you can or cannot move. I feel like movement should have been their number one priority, since you play as a cat, and the solution they found feels like a compromise. Some levels/missions are kind of stinkers. Music is disappointing too, it's well used, but the composition for the most part falls short.

Apart from those somewhat minor annoyances, the visuals are great, with great care both in level and character characterization. Level design in the two main cities is pretty awesome. And missions towards the end greatly improve over early ones. Cool story, characters and universe.

Cats!

7.8/10

• Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)

This is the first Ys game I played with a party system. Previous Ys games I've are I, II, III and VI and various versions and remakes of those games. I like the gameplay a lot here. The battles are fast and fun, the dungeon design and overworld are quite good and it has some decent boss fights. The story is also decent though I think there is too much useless dialogue at times, especially when your party is at full size. Everybody needs to say something is every cutscene so all the cutscenes start to drag on.

The music is excellent, especially the boss theme.
    I've seen some things about the original Ys IV and know that you actually go back to the world of Ys 1 and I'm disappointed this is not included in this remake.
    It's still an excellent entry in the series. It's probably my second favorite so far, Ys Book I & II being my favorite.

• Asura's Wrath

Wouldn't call it disappointing because I was expecting to be more or less this, but it is a shame that such a potentially spectacular experience to be such a lazy game.

Still, great soundtrack and some great epic fights. But even for a game that it's mainly an animated series what's here in terms of gameplay is lazy and underdeveloped, be it mechanically or design wise.

6/10

It's like 3€ in Xbox and I've always wanted to play it. Can't complain.

• Alone in the Dark

Steam has AitD 1, 2, 3 + 2008 for sale for 1.5€ so why not, I'll play it again.

As I've said it here several times, AitD it's one of my foundational games. It's difficult to put into words how eye opening it was to play a 3rd person 3d game back in 1992, it wasn't just the revelation of what the future could bring but the experience itself that felt somewhat magical. Things in life tend to be incremental but this felt like something unexpected coming out of nowhere. It felt so alien that it took me and my brother more than a while to get to grips with the tank controls to navigate the 3d space and the controls in general. In retrospect one can see that even the developers struggled with it, but that first room was a great tutorial area for us, as we kept dying and dying to the two monsters that got into the room, one through the window other through a door in the floor, there we learned to walk, run, use objects, pick actions, fight... but we kept dying. Until the moment when I tried to physically push a closet to the front of the window, thus blocking it and keeping that first monster from entering the room. Me and my brother were mindblown by it. One can clearly see the classic graphical adventure influence with the puzzle solving but this felt different, that whole house felt like a real place you could interact with.

While a short game it isn't an easy one. You'll die a lot and puzzles aren't always obvious for modern standards, and while I'm of the opinion that every passionate gamer should definitely play it (particularly Resident Evil fans), I do recommend to do it with a guide, just in case. It's a fascinating document of the beginnings of 3d gaming, of the survival horror genre and set many principles on which Resident Evil was built upon. And at a certain point you'll even play what is probably the first 3d platforming in a game.

I don't feel like rating it. It's definitely super flawed but in many ways it's a very exploratory title where developers try to understand how to make some stuff work and not everything does. But at the time it was 10/10. A great adventure, filled with mystery and terror, where every little discovery felt meaningful.

• Finished Stray a couple of days ago and it was reaaaaly average. I should temper my expectations towards beatiful looking indies because they are turning borefests recently. And story did NOTHING for me. What a wasted potential.

• @Scotty I'm very curious, and please do not take this as a trolling question, I am genuinely asking: what were you expecting instead? I find myself on the opposite end where I was not interested in the game at all, and only gave it a try because it comes with my PS Plus subscription. I generally dislike cats (go dogs!) and could not imagine playing as one would be fulfilling. But I find the world they built to be incredibly well realized and navigating it all as a feline is genuinely fresh. The fact that there are some clever puzzles and a story thrown in is just icing.

• @ozymandsss

I haven't played the game myself, but based on some of the reviews I read, the world the developers created seems a bit underwhelming. I was expecting something a bit more interesting from the sci-fi setting.

Dunky brought this up in his review, but these sort of art house atmospheric games like Journey can covey the whole story in 5 hours or less via the gameplay and natural progression through the world. Whereas Stray has a lot of text dialogue and a lot of explaining.

So I didn't really have any high expectations for Stray, but I was sort of expecting a lot more mystery and subtly to the story.

• @ozymandsss I'm not speaking for @Scotty but I have similar feeling to him as you can read above if you care to. If not, then here are my bugbears-again if you want to read them.

My issues with Stray came to light after I completed it. I realized it was more predictably mainstream than it appears on the surface. There are some good cat mannerisms but not many that are quirky and delightful, the game is too dank and dreary-it's a cat game it should be cheerier than it is, and I find that much of the gameplay involves either clambering or running away from threats. I don't really think the A.I friendlies are a good substitute for other cats-and what on earth happened to those cats you meet at the beginning?

I do like Stray and understand why some people love it, heck initially I really enjoyed what I played, but upon reflection it was more Triple A than I examined whilst playing it.

• From the Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch):

Castlevania
    It's a fun and short sidescroller. I played this game many times and it just never gets old for me. I like how short it is. It's good to waste 30 minutes of your time. The music is still fantastic.

Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
    This is one of the best sidescrollers ever made imo. The level design is excellent, great bosses, well balanced characters and weapons, one of the best 8-bit soundtracks and the graphics still have a lot of charm.
    I love that they included the Japanese version here which is by far the better version. The difficulty in the western versions is unfair and unbalanced. The Japanese version is still very difficult but feels fair and is not annoying. Especially the final stage of the game is complete mess in the western versions.
    Plus the soundtrack in better in the Japanese version and it is uncensored.

I also played some Castlevania 2. I really like the game, I think it doesn't reserve the hate it gets. The problem I have is that it is impossible to play without a guide. I played the part that I still have memorized from my previous playthrough but have no mood right now to play through the whole again despite liking it a lot.

• @ozymandsss

I was expecting more than ''take this, give that'' kind of goals. Also I was expecting more fun platforming. Finally, I was expecting to have more fun all around.

I literally pushed myself to finish it after a while. And playing as a cat lost its charm so quickly to me.

And I can't help myself about despising these kind of ''arty'' things if you can call that. Most of the time they are just borefest that trying to look/feel artsy just to get away from criticism.

Sorry for the late answer, I'm just seeeing that.

• The Darkness 2

Another 360 game I always wanted to play but never did. I don't remember much of the original other than really enjoying it.

2 was a good surprise and regardless of being 10 years old, and gameplay being far from being top tier, it feels somewhat refreshing. Being very violent and explicit, if feels fresh to play it now in a time everybody is afraid to take risks. It also does really well something I love in videogames, you never know what to expect from it, where exactly is going to take you next. I dig that.

For a game with no visual enhancements, other than HDR, it holds in surprisingly well. As I've said, gameplay isn't anything special, but the combat dynamics, between guns, powers, enemy types and environmental hazards keeps it interesting enough.

8/10

• Super Castlevania IV (Switch)

I played the Japanese version on the Anniversary Collection. Castlevania IV is an enjoyable game. It's very simplistic compared to most other classic Castlevania games. I don't think it's nearly as good as Castlevania III, Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines. Those games just have more variety, different characters and a non-linear progression.
    Castlevania IV is more straight forward but my biggest issue with it is it's difficulty. The game really isn't made for the more flexible movement here and it is way too easy for a Castlevania game.
    The high point of Castlevania IV though is its atmosphere. It is still unmatched in the franchise. The atmospheric soundtrack is just a masterpiece.