Last Movie You Watched

• A 'Last Game You Finished' thread just popped up in gaming, so I thought a movie thread would be a good idea too!

The last movie I watched was Animal Kingdom, which is an Australian crime drama from 2010. Its cast is uniformly good, and the film has a persistent bleak atmosphere which I appreciated, but it was a little overbearing. We don't have many reasons for the lead's motivations apart from simply being stuck with endangered criminals, so he feels like one of the lesser developed characters in the plot. It's ostensibly a portrait of a family falling apart under stress.

I enjoyed it, but I found its incessant dourness a little tiring after a while.

• Global Moderator

The Babadook - I think it's an Australian movie too actually. It's a horror movie although I'd say it leans more on Thriller than your typical horror. The movie is really about the relationship between the Mother and child.

That may sound like a boring movie on the face of it but it is extremely tense and creepy I found. Highly recommend if you're into more of a slow burn horror.

Also recommend It Follows which again is a similar vibe in terms of pace and intensity which I watched the previous day. Cracking soundtrack too.

• I think it's The Conjuring 2, and I absolutely loved it. I was already a big fan of the first one, but was afraid lightning wouldn't strike twice, and in my opinion it's a very clever sequel in that it raises the stakes compared to the previous movie, is more spectacular, but still maintains the same tone and style that made the first opus so successful.

Love it, love it, and I hear Lights Out by the same producer is also excellent so I can't wait for that one.

• Just watched All the Way on HBO. I thought it was pretty good.. Bryan Cranston is incredible in it, almost unrecognizable. I'd recommend it if its a topic you're interested in

• Earlier today I saw Drugstore Cowboy: a Gus Vant film from the late 80's about a junkie and his friends who rob drugstores.

It has a playfulness I wasn't expecting, but it didn't step too far in front of the seriousness of the subject matter. It wasn't just 'whoa look how quirky these addicts are' like a number of other drug movies are; there's a sincerity there that really drives the film home. Some stuff in it irked me, but overall I thought it was pretty good!

• Boomerang!, a 1947 film noir about finding the killer of a priest. Not bad, though a bit stagey and heavy-handed with the politics.

I watch very few new films. Most of the stuff I watch is from the 70's or earlier, including lots of Criterion Collection releases. I've seen 24 out of Akira Kurosawa's 30 films.

• @Oscillator said in Last Movie You Watched:

Boomerang!, a 1947 film noir about finding the killer of a priest. Not bad, though a bit stagey and heavy-handed with the politics.

I watch very few new films. Most of the stuff I watch is from the 70's or earlier, including lots of Criterion Collection releases. I've seen 24 out of Akira Kurosawa's 30 films.

Yeah, Boomerang! isn't one of Kazan's finest unfortunately. I like Dana Andrews in it though.

I also watch a lot of older stuff as well. Not that it tends to be better (though I'd say film's high point thus far was the 60's), but because I'm really interested in the history of it all and get a lot of enjoyment out of stuff that's different.

• Global Moderator

Just saw Jason Bourne. I liked it but it was weird, it had all the elements of a Bourne movie (car chases, espionage, crazy fast paced action) with the thematic feel of the other Bourne movies. Still enjoyed it though!

• Ladyhawke

This is a romantic fantasy movie from the 80s that stars Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick. It's about two lovers cursed by an evil bishop who was in love with the girl. Rutger Hauer is cursed to be a wolf at night, while Michelle Pfeiffer is a hawk during the day.
    It's a fun movie, with some heartbreaking moments and a fun (sorta terrible) 80s electronic soundtrack.

And Matthew Broderick.... I don't like him but I do still love this movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BTs66JAgM

• @tokeeffe9 It Follows is a great new horror movie. The idea is terrifying and the movie feels oddly timeless. I was never sure when it took place. It has a pretty meh ending, but then a lot of horror movies seem to not know how to end.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, give it a shot.

• Global Moderator

I think I know what you mean by the ending but I actually liked the ending itself.

Also definitely, that's one of the cool things about it. How it doesn't set itself in a specific time.

• Second and third Hobbit Movie. But I had it only running in the background. So yeah, at least hey look cool.

• @tokeeffe9 I liked the VERY end. But the climax I think got a wee bit too action heavy.
    Soundtrack was AMAZING though.
    One of my fave things though was how it made me start planning a way to deal with that situation. I love when movies, or books do that.

• Global Moderator

Went over to my friends yesterday and we watched The Truman Show because he hadn't seen it.

The film holds up. Really love the concept and just love the movie.