The IGN Greatest Video Game Character Bracket... Our Votes

• Hello again everybody! If you didn't know, IGN decided to take 300 plus characters to have their audience whittle it down to to 64 to make a bracket. Well, in the spirit of what we did where I made two brackets, one of the top games as listed from Metacritic and our own Top 100 games list, I thought this would be fun to see how you all would pick the characters they have provided.

The main differences between how they're doing it, and what I'm presenting is, while I'm providing the bracket as they've seeded it (How they came to the conclusions, I don't know), I'm presenting it as legitimate 1v1 matchups as opposed to the group of four per vote they are doing.

To help parse it out, I will do this like I did last year: Give each quadrant, provide two day's worth of time for you all to vote, than provide that round's results while simultaneously give the next quadrant's matchups. We'll keep parsing this down until one remains.

A couple of reminders: You do NOT have to comment if you're only interested in voting. If you only want to vote in a handful and not others, that's ok too. If you DO vote, please make the selection you WANT to move on to the next round by clicking the corresponding link. So basically, ANY and all participation is welcomed. If you want to take a look at the bracket as a whole,

One final note before we get to the first set of matchups: Much later on, Commander Shepard on their bracket is listed as the Male version, but for our bracket, I'm opening up the interpretation to include whichever gender you prefer when factoring in your decision. This is because Shepard is the ONLY character on the entire list that can be either gender but for whatever reason is listed as Male on the sourced bracket.

There are some matchups that are pretty close, and others that are outright hilarious. Thanks for reading and special thanks if you choose to participate. Let's start with the first quadrant:

Link or Bayonetta?
    Ryu or Charizard?
    Yoshi or Ciri?
    Master Chief or Jill Valentine?
    Crash Bandicoot or Knuckles?
    Lara Croft or Wario?
    Ellie or Dante?
    Sonic or Cortana?

We'll keep to these for now, and I'll come back two days from now to provide the next group. Have fun!

• Lara Croft versus Wario is the most hilarious matchup. It feels like they have no business being put up against one another, but they're both kind of scumbags in a sense. I'm guessing we're talking classic Lara Croft at least though, which isn't nearly as deplorable.

• Link
    Charizard
    Yoshi
    Master Chief
    Cortana

No interest in the other pairings this round.

• @oscillator I don't understand voting for Link. Link has zero character outside of like the Windwaker branch, which is known as Toon Link, so it is practically a completely different character. Link is just a self insert character. Generic "Elvish" swordsman who wears green usually. Boring pick in my opinion, but it'll probably get a ton of votes because people love Zelda games, even though Link himself has very little to do with that and people constantly complain about how awkward him not speaking and such is.

• Ellie is a lame dime-a-dozen "immune from the disease since we can't just have dead people rising from the grave" character in a zombie apocalypse story, and an annoying tagalong kid at that. Especially when you compare that to DANTE of all characters I don't understand the thought process behind this one at all. I can only see this as a 1 seed about to dunk on a 16 seed.

• Bayonetta, Ryu, Ciri, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Wario, Dante, Cortana

• Trying to pick between Ellie or Dante is stressing me out.

• @hanabi

That's more of a criticism towards the plot setup for TLOU than Ellie herself. She has a rich personality and had a pretty significant and compelling arc compared to most video game characters.

I'd say Cortana is the character who tags along and isn't very interesting.

• Ciri is a complex character who has to learn to deal with the power she holds and the destiny she carries. Yoshi is a dumb green dinosaur who says 'Yoshi' and lays eggs. You know who to choose.

• @mbun said in The IGN Greatest Video Game Character Bracket... Our Votes:

Lara Croft versus Wario is the most hilarious matchup. It feels like they have no business being put up against one another, but they're both kind of scumbags in a sense. I'm guessing we're talking classic Lara Croft at least though, which isn't nearly as deplorable.

0_1583961251480_nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

• @mbun said in The IGN Greatest Video Game Character Bracket... Our Votes:

@oscillator I don't understand voting for Link. Link has zero character outside of like the Windwaker branch, which is known as Toon Link, so it is practically a completely different character. Link is just a self insert character. Generic "Elvish" swordsman who wears green usually. Boring pick in my opinion, but it'll probably get a ton of votes because people love Zelda games, even though Link himself has very little to do with that and people constantly complain about how awkward him not speaking and such is.

Link is an iconic character. You don't have to have a bold personality to be iconic, the image can be enough.

• @oscillator He'd just be another fantasy elf boy if the games around him weren't amazing. It isn't like Mario, who is a weird concept for a hero. Literally just a dime a dozen character that's been elevated due to extended relevancy.

@Capnbobamous
    Youtube Video

• I feel like a lot of you are not taking this vote seriously enough.

• I love these brands!

• Ryu vs Charizard was the hardest for me

• Doomguy vs Clarie. not even a contest. Doom guy will win

• Alright it's been a couple of days so let's go ahead and take a look at the first group of matchups!

• From the first round, the biggest winner was Sonic, because he easily beat out Cortana 10-4.
    • Three matchups were other comfortable victories, all of which were by a score of 10-5: Ryu took down Charizard, Ciri got by Yoshi, and Knuckles took out Crash.
    • There were a couple of close calls where Master Chief was able to defeat Jill Valentine 9-6 and Ellie outlasted Dante 8-6.
    • But the two closest, by a score of 8-7, were Bayonetta defeated Link and Wario winning against Lara Croft.

Now let's look at another area. Thanks for the participation so far!

Mario or Sam Fisher?
    Spyro or Mewtwo?
    Scorpion or Tifa Lockheart?
    Donkey Kong or Princess Peach?
    DOOM Guy or Claire Redfield?
    Bowser or Diddy Kong?
    Leon Kennedy or Banjo & Kazooie
    Geralt or Glados?

Like last round, I'll collect the results in a couple of days.

• @b-cell Well I just put the first vote in and Claire has 100% so far.

• Which Lara are we talking here? The reboot Lara is terrible, but I'd gladly vote for the original.

• @sheria I took it as the entire existence as a character, encompassing everything (as I take the entire bracket outside of what I addressed in the initial post). So if there were aspects, as you've pointed out that you couldn't in good conscious vote for, then that's ok. Participation isn't compulsory, so if there isn't enough for you to cast a vote in any of these matchups, you can skip it.