The IGN Greatest Video Game Character Bracket... Our Votes
@brannox Next question. Are gamers idiots?
Guest last edited by
@Mbun don't put too much thought into this, it's not worth it. Just look at the two options and vote in the one that pleases you the most.
Not many close matchups, and many of these results are only a difference of one vote in terms of from one to the next (For example, a five vote difference, then four vote difference, then three... etc.). But that said, let's see how it came out:
- Half of the outcomes were runaways, with Fox McCloud taking down Big Daddy 9-2, Pikachu electrocuting Sephiroth 9-3, Zelda defeating Red from Pokemon 8-2, and Solid Snake being a better stealth master than Agent 47 8-3.
- For the other half, they were a little closer, but still decisive. Kirby beat Commander Shepard 8-4, and Toon Link overcame Tails 7-3. The other two matchups ended in the same 7-4 score: Pac-Man zooms by Altair and Nathan Drake survives against Gordon Freeman.
This will be the final group for the first round! Come Wednesday, will break it out into the halves. But first, let's find out who will fill out the remaining side!
Sazime last edited by
If Mega-Man doesn't beat a blank slate character I will disown all of you.
Hanabi last edited by
I already know how this one is gonna end so I'm just gonna say that Eggman is a better character than Cloud and leave it at that.
Oscillator last edited by Oscillator
Is that the Mortal Kombat Raiden or the Metal Gear Raiden?
@hanabi I'm already upset. I also think Arthur Morgan is a better character than Ratchet & Clank combined despite not even having played Red Dead Redemption 2, which is apparently an unpopular opinion? There's lots of interesting characters in Ratchet & Clank, but the protagonists themselves are kinda meh.
@IronGrey No, you guys put more thought into these!
I also think Arthur Morgan is a better character than Ratchet & Clank combined despite not even having played Red Dead Redemption 2
Thank you for your support in this trying time.
Guest last edited by
I liked RDR II and I still voted in Ratchet & Clank due to nostalgia; they're to me what Super Mario or Sonic is to countless others, because I grew with the PS2. The games still hold up and I enjoyed the recent reboot. But Arthur Morgan is a good character, I'm fine with any of them winning.
@oscillator After doing some digging, I've discovered it's Mortal Kombat. Had links to get through to find out. Updating the post to reflect that.
We have concluded Round 1! Let's see who got the final eight spots for the next round:
- The biggest winner was Samus, as she took home a dominating 10-2 victory over Chun-Li.
- Three outcomes had decent point differences: Kratos beat Shadow 8-3, Mega Man zoomed past Dragonborn 7-2, and Luigi outlasted Aloy 8-4.
- Mortal Kombat's Raiden defeated Ezio by a close 7-5, but THREE outcomes were a one point difference.
- By a score of 6-5, Sub-Zero, Cloud, and Ratchet & Clank are thankful for surviving by the skin of their teeth against their respective opponents Gannondorf, Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, and Arthur Morgan.
With the second round, let's now transition to the entire left side of the bracket. As always, results in two days.
DemonPirate last edited by
So glad R&C made it through!
bam541 last edited by
Arthur Morgan lost? Welp, there goes my enthusiasm for this whole thing, lol
Sazime last edited by
You know it's getting good when the idea of a favorite losing means less than it did the round before!
How you people are choosing a one-noted character like Master Chief over Ciri is beyond me.
@capnbobamous I don't think calling Master Chief "one-note" is fair, but I won't argue he's deeper than Ciri.
Hello one and all! I'm back to let you know what the left side panned out and present you with the right side. So about that left side, let's see who filled out the first half of the remaining 16.
- There was only one blowout, with Samus obliterating Raiden by a 9-1 margin.
- Most of the others were a two to four vote difference. Three matches had the same 7-3 outcome: Master Chief beats Ciri, Wario defeats Knuckles, and Mega Man overcame Cloud.
- Two of the head to heads had a difference of three votes: Kratos icing Sub-Zero, 7-4 and Bayonetta putting down Ryu, 6-3.
- Finally, the two closest outcomes were Luigi owning a 7-5 victory over Ratchet & Clank and Sonic outpacing Ellie 6-4.
Now let's take a look at the other half. Hope you all have a good weekend, and I'll update on Sunday. Have fun voting!
@brannox I don't care how this next round turns out, but just a reminder that Nathan Drake is a psycho "every man" who murders for personal gain. ezaBackseatBosman
Him and Toon Link are like opposite ends of a spectrum of how to express character, so it is honestly an interesting matchup. Hardest pick for me this round was DOOM Guy (/Slayer?) versus Bowser. Picked Bowser in the end, but it didn't feel good. Think Bowser just won out on more appearances, so more chances to express his character. I think DOOM Guy could be just as strong or stronger given the same level of exposure.
Alrighty everybody we have our Final 16! Instead of having it always being broken up into quadrants like I did last year, I've decided that, from this post forward, you should be able to see every matchup for every round. Before we get to those, let's see how the last round played out and lemme tell ya, your Nintendo fandom shows strong!
- There were two virtual no contests in this round with Mario torching Spyro 8-1, and Donkey Kong beating Tifa 7-2.
- Three matchups had the 6-4 decision: Bowser defeating DOOM Guy, Glados outperforming Banjo & Kazooie, and Kirby zipping past Zelda.
- There were another two differences in two votes with Solid Snake over Pac-Man, and Pikachu over Fox, but the score was 5-3.
- The lone nail-biter sees Toon Link emerge victorious over Nathan Drake 6-5.
And now, here are the remaining matchups and from here you can tell how the different permutations can be. Have fun determining who will be the remaining eight and I'll confirm that in two days.
Did these get posted somewhere else?? Because after I put in my vote, the results page was bombarded. The Bayonetta one is at like 80 votes now.