Vote for the forum's GOTY 2011!

• Here's something to keep you confined people busy!

This time, we're going to vote for our GOTY of 2011, the year the 3DS came out and the PS3/360 saw some generation-defining titles released, before starting their decline.

Let's go through the shamelessly copy-pasted rules:

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but try to vote for at least a Top 4.

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2011, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2011 (such as Mass Effect 2 on PS3) are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features, (like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D on 3DS) are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones (such as Infamous: Festival of Blood) are eligible.
    • Full remakes are eligible.

To make sure you don't forget anything, I've compiled a non-exhaustive list of eligible games in the post below. If a game you liked is not in this list but fits the criteria, feel free to vote for it anyway!

If you're unsure whether a game is eligible or not, feel free to ask in this thread and we'll discuss it. Check Wikipedia for more ideas too.

The votes will close somewhere around the end of April, I'll compile the results and publish them here as a countdown.

Enjoy!

• Suggested list of eligible games:

January

DC Universe Online, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, LittleBigPlanet 2, MindJack, Dead Space 2, Magicka

February

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, Mario Sports Mix, Stacking, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, De Blob 2, Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, Radiant Historia

March

PixelJunk Shooter 2, Rift, Pokémon Black and White, Dragon Age II, Homefront, Ōkamiden, Top Spin 4, Total War: Shogun 2, Yakuza 4, Crysis 2, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime, Nintendogs + Cats, Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Dynasty Warriors 7, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, WWE All Stars, Fight Night Champion

April

Patapon 3, World of Tanks, Arcana Heart 3, Conduit 2, Mortal Kombat 9, Portal 2, SOCOM 4 U.S. Navy SEALs, Darkspore, Outland

May

MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Thor: God of Thunder, Brink, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game, Virtua Tennis 4, Terraria, L.A. Noire, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Dirt 3, Frozen Synapse, Hunted: The Demon's Forge

June

Infamous 2, Operation Flashpoint: Red River, Red Faction: Armageddon, Jamestown, Alice: Madness Returns, Child of Eden, Duke Nukem Forever, Dungeon Siege III, F.E.A.R. 3, Shadows of the Damned, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

July

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, Ms. Splosion Man, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Call of Juarez: The Cartel, Captain America: Super Soldier, Bastion, Catherine, From Dust

August

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bodycount, Tropico 4, Xenoblade Chronicles

September

BloodRayne: Betrayal, Dead Island, Disgaea 4, Driver: San Francisco, Resistance 3, Rise of Nightmares, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, Bit.Trip Saga, Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Kirby Mass Attack, Gears of War 3, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, X-Men: Destiny, The Binding of Isaac, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

October

Dark Souls, Rage, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Just Dance 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Aliens Infestation, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Forza Motorsport 4, Orcs Must Die!, Might & Magic Heroes VI, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Batman: Arkham City, Payday: The Heist, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Rocksmith, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Battlefield 3, Dance Central 2, Infamous: Festival of Blood, PixelJunk SideScroller, Stronghold 3

November

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Sonic Generations, To the Moon, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Lego Harry Potter: Years 5–7, Super Mario 3D Land, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Need for Speed: The Run, Rayman Origins, Saints Row: The Third, Cooking Mama 4: Kitchen Magic, Anno 2070, Minecraft, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The King of Fighters XIII, Serious Sam 3: BFE

December

Mario Kart 7, Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights, Trine 2, Pushmo, Postal III, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mighty Switch Force!

• Xenoblade Chronicles

• @yoshi Indeed, it didn't show up on the Wiki page because it came out in the US in 2012, but it came out in Europe in 2011 so it's absolutely eligible, I'll add it to the list, thanks!

• Global Moderator

YES! love these thread, will think over my list and send it to you. Many good games this year.

• Me starting reading the list of games: "Was there anything good back then?"
    Me ending reading the list of games: "I can highlight only 8. Damn."

• 2010 and 2011 were incredible years. I'll have my list soon, I still remember my top 10 for that year.

• I've sent my votes. Shout out to Dance Central 2 - it's my #9 and I know that no one else will vote for it.

• Had to cut Portal 2, Catherine, Bastion and EDF: Insect Armageddon from my list. Pretty packed year all things considered.

• Man, 2011 is so packed! Most of the games that really shaped my taste in games came out this year, specifically Uncharted 3 (the first Uncharted game I played). What a great year for games. Shout out to the criminally underrated Resistance 3, it's much better than it had any right to be. Also, shout out to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, I know nothing about W40K but I really enjoyed being a huge badass in this game.

I'm gonna wait a bit before sending my list, in case I forget anything big. If y'all got games to shoutout, please do.

• This is picking between children...

• My votes are locked in. After going through the list, I have finished a total of 23 of these games.

@Axel is it alright if I give this topic a shout out during the group stream?

• @Axel is it alright if I give this topic a shout on Cup of Jones?

• @ffff0 said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2011!:

Me starting reading the list of games: "Was there anything good back then?"
    Me ending reading the list of games: "I can highlight only 8. Damn."

Haha yup that was me too, as I was going down the list I was like "Oh you're making it for sure, you're making it for sure, you're... wait there's too many of you!"

I've identified a top 5 and I have no idea how to sort them, can't even figure out my #1 from these five, it's going to be heartbreaking.

And yes, anyone feel free to give a shout out on any EZA show you like :)

• Damn this year had some heavy hitters. Just an FYI that Fight Night Champion, possibly the best sports game ever, released this year.

Also a reminder that Skyrim was overrated and a solid step down from prior entries.

• I remember like yesterday that the battle between PS3vsX360 became UC3vsGeoW3. Also remembering the E3 from that year. Everbody's compliments for Batman: Arkham City. And also, it is an important year for me; because until 2010's october, video games were just things that I play for 1-2 hours alone in cafes or footbal matches/CS matches with friends. After I got my hands on a video game magazine(with a lot of hesitance) slowly I became a gamer. I remember that while I was reading that magazine for the first time I didn't understand most of it and became bored in the first try and regretted buying it. But after my second try to read -with a determined mind set- I slowly started to search, watch, read about all things in the medium and here I am after 10 years with this memory, deciding a list from my first full gaming year!

• Man, 2011 might be my favorite year for games. Not necessarily because it has the best games, but because it has so many that went on to become a huge part of my life. When I was younger, my three favorite franchises were without a doubt Arkham, Infamous and Uncharted. I've probably beat every game in those series upwards of a dozen times. I don't remember U3, I2, and AC coming out in the same year, but it was before I was an avid gamer so I didn't pay attention to stuff like that at the time.

• Excellent! Wasn't really expecting this thread for another little while. I have my list, but there are a couple I'm confused on, and since I don't want to spoil what they are, I'll ask about their eligibility in my votes.

Excited for this once again!!

• @capnbobamous said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2011!:

Infamous

I really think it is an underrated franchise.

• My god this year! 2011!

Even my Honourable Mention's are GOTYs. I can't include some games I put serious hours into even if I wanted to. Good memory of leaving school early to buy Uncharted 3 at around 1pm. Walking to the store, walking home, putting it into the PS3, ordering pizza and beating it in one sitting with my buddy. Good time.

Now that time passed, my GOTY is actually different but damn this 2011 list is fire!