Difficult CRPG's

• A few days ago, while combing through my backlog, I started playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. One night, after having a nightmare about my party wiping multiple times (which has yet to happen in-game), it made me ponder:

What are some of the most difficult CRPG's, or parts of CRPG's to you?

( To avoid arguments over semantics, games like the WItcher are fine, what we're really avoiding is talk about JRPG's, Tactical RPGS, and Adventure RPG's about little fairy boys in tights who like to solve dungeon puzzles. ) P.S. I love Zelda games

Discuss your frustrations, nightmares, and your love/hate relationships with CRPG's here.

I love the game, but to me Dragon Age: Origins has some the weirdest difficulty spikes, and many of encounters will curbstomp the party if you're not prepared. There are more than a few unavoidable encounters that are hellish, even on normal.

• The opening to Fallout 2. No matter how you create your character. You start with just a spear, in a temple full of giant ants and radscorpions. Which really sucked for me because I went heavy on charisma and energy weapons.

• @shoulderguy

They didn't get your charm ha!(I have no idea how charisma works)

• I played a not-up-to-date version of Dragon Age Origins that didn't have the difficulty tweaks that would make the game easier, and I would have quit playing the game right in the middle of it (I think it's when you fight a dragon after getting to a hidden village of some sort) if my younger self didn't have so much free time. Loved the game though, it's probably my 2nd favorite Bioware game. Thankfully the later parts of the game are a bit more manageable for me, I don't remember dying a lot in the last boss fight (although it's challenging nonetheless).

I wouldn't count this as difficult, but I played Wasteland 2 recently. It's definitely more on the easy side of things, but I quit playing the game 7-8 hours in because my save data got corrupted and I lost a lot of my progress, which included a very risky skill check dialogue option that would have helped me a ton. Corrupted save datas always suck, but in games like these it's amplified immensely.

• @shoulderguy I'm so glad you brought this up, because it's one of the exact instances I was thinking of when I made this topic.
    Fallout 2 was one of the first games where I read guides that pretty much said, "If you don't do this exact build, you are screwed." And those builds were exclusively for the beginning.

• @bam541 It's been a good while, but Orzammar in DA Origins straight up made me lower the difficulty of the game for that part, I just remember there was a part of it that seemed absolutely impossible when I was going through it.

And now that I'm talking about it I wanna play the game again so bad.

• @bam541 said in Difficult CRPG's:

I would have quit playing the game right in the middle of it (I think it's when you fight a dragon after getting to a hidden village of some sort) if my younger self didn't have so much free time

This is true for me as well, specifically with Dragon Age. The second time I played Dragon Age, I completely forgot that the Mages Tower and the Sloth Demon dream sequence were part of the same quest because they both take so long.