The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @bard91 Supermassive makes Dark Pictures Anthology/Until Dawn :p

• So happy i got to see Supergiant's 10 year anniversary concert at PAX live. Was great.
    They closed with a Bastion medley:
    Youtube Video – [52:58..]

• Supergiant is possibly my favorite game studio, which is funny because I haven't played Bastion or Transistor. I own them, but the gameplay has never really appealed to me. Soundtracks are incredible though.

• Banned

Bastion has soul out the ears, bit was otherwise a pretty mediocre isometric Jack n slash.

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

#14. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #2: 2 (bard91, Tearju Engi)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: March 29 [US], November 4 [EU]
    Developer: Nihon Falcom
    Publisher: Xseed Games
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Portable, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    Don't Skip

• ohhh man that's lower than what I expected, but I guess Trails is hardly the most popular series so not that surprising.

Anyhow, I don't think any of the Trails games are flawless, in fact I think they all share a few issues that could be worked out and that they are overpraised in some aspects, but man does the series make it up to you if you put in time to play the games and go through the whole story, by itself Sky is very good, but as a part and the start of a series it is something beautiful.

• I hear only good things about the Trails series. Doubt I'll ever get around to then but I'm sure it's my loss.

• I don't believe I knew of the Trails series before these forums launched because every time the name comes up in a video I'm watching or an article I'm reading, I associate it from here because I know this is where the most condensed amount of conversation is at. As such, I feel like I'm repeating myself from a thread or two long since past, but if I have/am, I'll keep it extremely truncated: Not a series that has enough to draw me in, but just looking at the votes here goes to show that those who play it, love it, so it MUST be doing a lot right.

• The Legend of Heroes looks like a cool anime game 👍

• Banned

I played about 20 hours of the first game and nothing significant was happening plot wise. Dropped.
    Fantastic voice acting tho.

• I think I was listening to Kotaku Split Screen podcast and they were talking about a JRPG series, I think this one, that has soooo many entries but the events of every game are all reflected in the sequels one way or another. It’s all connected and super rewarding to fans but impossibly steep to jump into with no context.

I don’t even know if it’s this game but it’s ringing a bell. Never even heard of Trails until this year I think too. Didn’t see this on any shelves in 2011, that’s for sure.

• Super Mario 3D Land

#13. Super Mario 3D Land - 14 points

Votes

#1: 1 (naltmank)
    #2: 1 (Crepe)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Jamicov)
    HM: 3 (DemonPirate, NeoCweeny, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: November 13 [US], November 18 [EU]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• In the avalanche of Mario games, it's very difficult for me to picture a specific entry unless it makes a MASSIVE impact (Looking at you Odyssey, Galaxy and 64), especially when I'm not a fan. What really doesn't help me is there is a 3D Land and a 3D World. I know they came out years apart and on different platforms, but I can't for the life of me say one way or another what makes any given Mario game great or phenomenal, much less being able to pinpoint what Mario title adds which particular quality of life improvement or new gameplay mechanic. But it's clear 3D Land was a great game from the love it receives here.

• 3D Land is funnnn. It's like the perfect definition of a handheld game for me. It carried elements from the 3D Super Mario games but packaged it to a game that is not only different enough from those games, but also easily playable on-the-go with how it is structured. Both things are very important for me when you're making a handheld game out of a mostly console-based franchise. I wish my janky 3DS was still alive so I can finish this, I only got like a couple hours in.

• This forum is really good at picking great games I haven't played.

• I almost gave Super Mario 3D Land an Honorable Mention, it landed at #10 on my list. I'm a bigger fan of Super Mario 3D World and the improvements it made (plus those awesome Captain Toad levels), which was #6 on my list when we did 2013 GOTY. I also find it hard to go back to any 3DS game now that the Switch exists. 3D Land is still a fun game though.

• Trails in the Sky is amazing game. World building is next level with progressive script on people, cast is big and you can feel it. It's like Shenmue of traditional JRPG. I only played 1&2 that is itself an arc that can stand by itself. 3rd that never got PSP port that has a main character introduced in previous game. Sure it can be a bit slow burn but if you're on PC, get it there since you can speed things up. It has a really interesting story and connection between series' is probably reason why it works so well. You might not be willing to sink into the whole series but I ask anyone to give FC and SC (1st and 2nd chapter) a chance.

• This game was bundled with 3DS, which I've bought to play 999. I never liked Mario games: controls feel unresponsive for me because the character has too much inertia. So I played this one for an hour until the game forced me to grind old levels to get more stars to progress. No thanks.

• I'll defend this game til my dying day. There's so much ingenuity in this game and it is so frequently overlooked by people in favor of its brother on the WiiU (another game I like more than most). This is the only game I can think of where it felt like the use of 3D was baked into the level design, creating stages that truly can't be replicated anywhere else. Similar to the original New Super Mario Bros., the levels were appropriately scaled to the handheld system in a way that made star hunting feel extra addictive since it was doable within a short time frame - something I think few other games have done as well since. If you have a 3DS and never finished this game, please give it another shot.

• Global Moderator

Ok, the further this list goes on, the less I feel like my options will come up haha! That said though, I remember that Axel said it was tight in the top, so perhaps all my picks are there x)