The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• 3D Land is funnnn. It's like the perfect definition of a handheld game for me. It carried elements from the 3D Super Mario games but packaged it to a game that is not only different enough from those games, but also easily playable on-the-go with how it is structured. Both things are very important for me when you're making a handheld game out of a mostly console-based franchise. I wish my janky 3DS was still alive so I can finish this, I only got like a couple hours in.

• This forum is really good at picking great games I haven't played.

• I almost gave Super Mario 3D Land an Honorable Mention, it landed at #10 on my list. I'm a bigger fan of Super Mario 3D World and the improvements it made (plus those awesome Captain Toad levels), which was #6 on my list when we did 2013 GOTY. I also find it hard to go back to any 3DS game now that the Switch exists. 3D Land is still a fun game though.

• Trails in the Sky is amazing game. World building is next level with progressive script on people, cast is big and you can feel it. It's like Shenmue of traditional JRPG. I only played 1&2 that is itself an arc that can stand by itself. 3rd that never got PSP port that has a main character introduced in previous game. Sure it can be a bit slow burn but if you're on PC, get it there since you can speed things up. It has a really interesting story and connection between series' is probably reason why it works so well. You might not be willing to sink into the whole series but I ask anyone to give FC and SC (1st and 2nd chapter) a chance.

• This game was bundled with 3DS, which I've bought to play 999. I never liked Mario games: controls feel unresponsive for me because the character has too much inertia. So I played this one for an hour until the game forced me to grind old levels to get more stars to progress. No thanks.

• I'll defend this game til my dying day. There's so much ingenuity in this game and it is so frequently overlooked by people in favor of its brother on the WiiU (another game I like more than most). This is the only game I can think of where it felt like the use of 3D was baked into the level design, creating stages that truly can't be replicated anywhere else. Similar to the original New Super Mario Bros., the levels were appropriately scaled to the handheld system in a way that made star hunting feel extra addictive since it was doable within a short time frame - something I think few other games have done as well since. If you have a 3DS and never finished this game, please give it another shot.

• Global Moderator

Ok, the further this list goes on, the less I feel like my options will come up haha! That said though, I remember that Axel said it was tight in the top, so perhaps all my picks are there x)

• I’ll buy this if it comes to Switch. I alllllmost bought a Wii U cause I liked what I saw of 3D Land and Wonderful 101.

My timeline in my head is really off though. Didn’t realize this was a 2011 game. Kinda thought the Wii U games flooded in at 2013.

• Super Mario 3D Land, for me, is one of two Mario game where i was compelled to get everything. All the levels, all the coins, star coins, etc.
    And, much like with Galaxy, none of it felt like a chore.

The true final level is one of the most difficult things ever and I love this game for being able to be easy, medium, and difficult in an organic way.

• I should play Dead Space 1-2, Supergiant Games' games(seeee), also Super Mario 3D Land if it ever comes to Switch.

• @dipset I think you're confusing it with Super Mario 3D World. Land was on 3DS, World on Wii U.

It could have been an honorable mention for me but this game kinda just came and went. It did a lot of awesome things with the 3D screen, and there were some clever level design elements, but I also found it very easy and rather short. Fun but ultimately forgettable. Maybe I should replay it one day though.

• The ending of Trails in the Sky FC is up there with MGS3 and Final Fantasy Tactics as maybe the best video game endings

• @axel

Ahhh you are 100% correct. Damn those titles / covers look so similar.

• I like Bastion. It's ordinary in a lot of ways, but the presentation was really strong and the storytelling surprisingly absorbing.

Haven't played Trails in the Sky or 3D Land. Interested in both, though the first I wouldn't consider a 2011 game personally.

• Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

#12. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - 14 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Hanabi, Tearju Engi)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Bigdude1)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Atbir Aimad)

Information

Release date: January 11 [US], January 14 [EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Adventure, Puzzle
    Platform(s): Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review
    Don't Skip

• Yeah okay I'll take 12th place.
    Best game on the DS, more people need to play this gem.

• I see the boxart and title and instantly think, "I've never HEARD of this," and then three seconds later after focusing on the apparition I remember, "WAIT! EZA did a Don't Skip on this!" Went back into the YouTube playlist, and yep; published at the end of last year.

I enjoyed re-listening to Ben talk about why it's worthy of the title of the show, and I was engaged listening to him explain the premise. At the end, it feels a little too quirky for my tastes, but I'm happy to see an entry for our list have its own dedicated EZA video. That rules. If anyone wants to go back and watch, here ya go. It's only five and a half minutes.

• Man, I bought this game a couple years ago but never got around to playing it. I know I'll love it.

• You can also find the link to the Don't Skip in my post, as well as the GameTrailers review from back in the day. I do that for all the games by the way, don't know if you all noticed ;)

Ben's Don't Skip was the first time I heard of the game, and hearing it was from the creator of Phoenix Wright was all I needed to know to catch my attention. Now seeing it place so high on this list for a rather obscure game, means I absolutely need to play this one day. Gonna be hard to track a copy though!

• @axel I completely forgot you did that for all the games, I'll have to check those out.

Also, Here is the GameTrailers 2011 GOTY if anyone's interested:

Youtube Video