The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• I really enjoyed what I played of 2 sadly fell on my rpg backlog pile, and have preordered the deluxe edition of the remake which I am very excited for... And will likely jump into 2 after... But I am also playing P5 royal and plan on playing Witcher 3 before 2077 so we will see.

• The second game I played after my 8 year hiatus. This game is responsible for me taking up gaming as a hobby again. The scope & beauty of the world was like nothing I'd seen before. Great storyline & characters & that soundtrack is God tier. I also never got bored of the combat system which is a bit contentious for some people. I put over 130 hours into this one. The only thing that stopped it from getting number 1 is that 95% of the quests are fetch quests which I didn't mind so much as it gives you an excuse to explore that beautiful world. Also some of them items drops can fuck right off.

• Holy moly I totally didn't realize this came out in 2011. Would have at least made it an HM if I had known.
    Xenogears one of my favorite JRPGs of all time and I've played every game the team has released since then, save for Chronicles X and Xenoblade 2, the latter of which I have no intention of playing since I think it looks like complete shit and hope future entries in the series go back to the original style and ditch the gacha kusoge bullshit they did in 2.
    I'm planning on getting a Switch this year and the remaster will be one of the first things I get for IT.

• @el-shmiablo Skip Xenoblade 2. The most disappointing game I've ever played. Full of fan service drivel. Terrible map, battle system, cringe inducing inane characters, runs like shit. I could go on. Still hurts that one.

• @paulmci27 Yeah my best friend who has a low tolerance for anime bullshit said he couldn't get through it. Honestly looks like some shit I would expect from one of the lower tier Tales games. Pretty sure it's just a hard pass for me.

• @el-shmiablo At least some of the Tales games have a self awareness of the anime bullshit. X2 is straight up embarrassing.

• @paulmci27 I would have to agree with this, that was my sentiment with XC2, and this is coming from someone with a high degree of anime bs tolerance, hell that's why I'm loving Sakura Wars, though to be fair the tone it uses suits it much better.

• Always wanted to play Xenoblade, but didn't at the time and after listening to the voice acting on the upcoming remake I won't now either.

I loved X but 2 I just hard quit after some 20h with it.

• @paulmci27 Never played Xenoblade 2 myself but that is the same sense I got from reviews and videos like this one. Which is why I skipped it despite having a Switch. However, I'm still looking forward to finally playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition soon.

Youtube Video

• Ah, the top 10! Now we're getting into the heavy hitters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are the premiere RPGs in Nintendo's modern stable correct? I feel like Xenoblade made the 2010s it's decade, and the coming Switch remaster has some friends of mine very excited. I lot of games in 2011 that didn't speak to me it seems. But I'm still excited to see what's left!

• The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

#9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 22 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Faaip)
    #3: 3 (ffff0, paulmci27, Hazz3r)
    #4: 3 (DIPSET, Phbz, bard91)
    HM: 3 (Brandon_Reister, Ikataishou, Atbir Aimad)

Information

Release date: May 17 [US/EU]
    Developer: CD Projekt Red
    Publisher: CD Projekt
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I have bought xenoblade 3 times. (wii,3ds,switch)

its that good lol

• o forgot to add, ghost trick is in my humble opinion the best story every told in the video game format. It got me through a tough time (unemployment) and when i finished the game i got a job offer. Your mileage may very but it worked for me.

• The most interesting for me about the Witcher series is how much it progressed over the years. Each sequel's leap is so big, like Uncharted 2's leap or whatever great sequel you have in mind. I tried out Witcher 1 and 2 after I finished 3. The first game definitely didn't hold up, but Assassin of Kings is pretty much a more linear version of Wild Hunt (judging from the first few hours), and it's still fun to play.

• All Witcher games are good, 2 was definitely a game I loved playing, but it just doesn't compare to what 3 ended up being, I held off on 3 just because I thought it was overhyped and couldn't be that big of a leap from 2, but then it actually was, and now even though I would like to, I feel like going back to 2, let alone 1 may be too much of a shock.

• I still need to go back to 2. I seem to start it just before some other big release and never get back to it, and I plowed though the first game!

• This game is fantastic and debatably the best in The Witcher series. I would say in terms of RPG games in 2011, it’s probably the best one.

The Witcher 2 also holds a special place in my heart. In 2011, I was 16 and a gaming PC was my first major purchase with my hard earned minimum wage cash. I played The Witcher 1 first but TW2 was the game that I christened my new hardware with. Not only that but I was in a Writer’s Craft class in Grade 12 and we had to write two formal third person reviews of something, while replicating the style of a professional outlet. I chose to review The Witcher 1 & 2 - one as a retro review and one as a current review. My TW2 review was modelled after GameTrailers style of third person narration. I thought I’d be a writer back then but that’s blind confidence of a high schooler.

I think The Witcher got watered down by the open world and I really preferred the focused plot lines of The Witcher 2. The storyline is completely isolated of some greater epic about Geralt regaining his memory. I love the sort of isolated caper element of Geralt having to clear his name as a king slayer all the while the Lodge of sorceresses are silently plotting nefarious politics.

More games should look to TW2 for plot inspiration. Not every RPG needs to be epic. This plot unravelled like a novel with a focused intro, conflict, goal, and resolution. Like any great RPG it was up to the player to decide how we get there.

One of the best RPGs ever and definitely one of the first games I played on PC that felt like “next gen” even in 2011.

• I've appreciated the Witcher series from afar, especially considering it's one of more successful multi-media properties (and the rare case it not starting as a video game IP, but said games being the most successful incarnation). While I briefly entertained picking up Witcher III, I'm weird in that I would want to play a series from the beginning so playing the original and this entry. However, what has me decided against it is the Witcher shows a major leap in both quality and content from game to game, so Witcher 2 is kind of in a nebulous I'm not going to touch, because the original game looks too dated for my tastes, and Witcher III is just way too massive.

• @brannox

You can jump in at either TW2 or TW3 but I’d recommend playing 2 for the great story. The journal in The Witcher across the entire series is written by your bard friend Dandelion and it’s written poetically and fun whereas other games like Kingdom Come pretty much have a glossary / index for a journal which is really boring.

All that to say, it’s really fun to read Dandelions writings. He’ll fill you in about all the characters and what they mean to him and Geralt. He’ll bring you up to speed about a lot of different things. You just have to take the time to read it.

I love the first game and it didn’t even feel tooo dates for me in 2011, but I’m sure you can get the plot in a YouTube video. Hell, I think TW2 brings you up to speed in a cutscene or something.

• I remember loving Witcher 2 visuals and the fact that it had 1.5 campaigns which were good. Don't remember much else, but this is enough to get #3 from me.