The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• There may have only been two of us, @NeoCweeny , but we did it.

I'm glad this game at least got in. As I said before, it's the best looking fighting game I've ever played. SUPER tough execution and I'm ass at it but it's just so beautiful and tournaments are a joy to watch.

• Woo KoF!
    My boy Benimaru getting some recognition.

• I remember only ever even hearing about this series back in 2011. Still haven't ever touched it but my one co-workers swears by it being his favourite fighting series along with Virtual Fighter.

• @el-shmiablo Confusing teenage boys since 1994

• Rayman Origins

#24. Rayman Origins - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 4 (DemonPirate, Mew2King, tokeeffe9, paulmci27)
    HM: 1 (Faaip)

Information

Release date: November 15 [US], November 25 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• All I heard is praise about this game but still haven't played it.

• Aww, way too low!

I can't say for sure, but I believe this was my first Rayman game and my god was it the epitome of 2D platforming fun.
    Ubisoft brought the classic character back is such a smart way.

I've been holding out for a new Rayman for so long now. Come on, Ubisoft, enough with the weird Rabbid's spin-offs and give us a real entry!

• I think I played this game in a Target once. I remember enjoying it, but not enough to pick it up.

• this is one of those games I bought, played a lot of but didn't finish, eventually set aside for one reason or another, and then completely forgot about.

Was neat though from what I remember. Mighta made my HMs if I hadn't, well, forgotten about it.

• I never played Origins proper but in Rayman Legends they included all (? at least most) of the Origins levels as extras, so I kinda played it still.

It's a lot of fun but it didn't make my list, too many other games deserved a shout-out.

One thing I'm not a fan of with this series is the seemingly random additional characters. I remember playing the first Rayman back in the day and absolutely loving it, I played Rayman 3 too which was an excellent 3D iteration.

But in Origins and Legends, there's all these weird characters, the big blue guy, the flying frog, the viking girl, etc. Who the hell are they? Where do they come from? Were they previously introduced in the series? When?

There's absolutely no cohesion, they feel like they all belong to different series, and it kinda takes me out of it. I know it's meant to be a silly platformer, but if there's zero effort made in world-building and lore, then I can't get invested and it all feels throwaway to me. Might be a weird gripe, and maybe they do have a reason for being here, but it's never been clear to me.

• I remember playing Origins for a couple hours and enjoying it, then never touched it again. It's not bad, I just think there's nothing particularly special or interesting about it gameplay wise. It's a good 2D platformer which isn't exactly my favorite genre.

• By and large I've let Rayman as a franchise pass me by. While I like the genre and have my fair share of personal favorites across my life, I think Rayman isn't appealing enough to me to really stand out in a very crowded genre. Also, it's kind of messed up (to me and me alone) how when I think of Rayman I have immediate association (and more exposure) of the Rabbids. Weird.

• Just played this recently & was surprised how much I enjoyed this, the platforming is magnificent with super tight controls, gorgeous graphics & mental soundtrack also found this pretty challenging to 100%. Makes a change from the other mascot 2d platformers Mario & Sonic that are a bit on the easy side.

• Like many others, I own this game and really enjoy it...but don't love it. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't jump out for any reason. The time trials are rad though.

• So I think this game is not bad. The Rayman series always had a momentum to it, and I think conceptualizing it as something not far from a runner, with just-in-time platforming and a nice visual style was a good choice. Not a bad way to spend some time, but I don't think it's going to change anyone's outlook on the genre.

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

But in Origins and Legends, there's all these weird characters, the big blue guy, the flying frog, the viking girl, etc. Who the hell are they? Where do they come from? Were they previously introduced in the series? When?

The big blue guy (Globox) and the flying frog (Murfy) debuted in Rayman 2, a.k.a. one of the best 3D platformers of the 90's.

Globox and Murfy were also in Rayman 3 - surprised you didn't recall them.

The Viking girl (Barbara) debuted in Legends.

• @oscillator Dang beat me to it. Globox and Murfy are bros.

• Well, the more you know! Guess they didn't make an impression, now I feel bad for insulting them.

• @axel As you should.
    (I'm going to apologize to you profusely in advance just in case that post can be misconstrued as 'baiting' for some ridiculous reason)

• I feel baited.