The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• Witcher 2 came out when I was a horndog adolescent, so I just remember going "Woah the sex scenes," but then I forgot about it until Witcher 3, and by then Witcher 2 felt too outdated when I picked it up and tried it. I'll probably give it another shot one day.

• Catherine

#8. Catherine - 23 points

Votes

#1: 1 (bard91, Nimbus)
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (TokyoSlim, NeoCweeny, Hazz3r)
    HM: 3 (ffff0, Tearju Engi, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: July 26 [US]
    Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Puzzle
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• one of these days I'm gonna put the time into Catherine that it deserves. Seemed pretty neat from what little I have played in the past.

• wow higher than I expected, very glad to see it up there, was honestly thinking it might not make it, I absolutely love Catherine, it is probably one of my favorite stories in games and it is just a greatly entertaining game that doesn't outstay it's welcome and Full Body was great for bringing it to this gen with some neat new content.

• Catherine is my #6. Puzzles were much more interesting than I thought initially and story was nice too. And I got it for free with PS Plus which is always welcome.

• Catherine is a good but difficult game. Too difficult for me to continue replaying the level I kept failing on over and over. I never ended up beating it because it just stopped being fun after so much failure.

I’m sure if I played it again today, I’d have more patience. I was younger then and I really liked the game. It also inspired me to play Persona 4 cause I liked the art direction.

• I picked up the Full Body version during black Friday 2019. While I haven't touched it yet, its inclusion makes me glad that I bought it.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Catherine is a good but difficult game. Too difficult for me to continue replaying the level I kept failing on over and over. I never ended up beating it because it just stopped being fun after so much failure.

The puzzles are fixed so you can use guides as much as you want. I had to use a guide for one of the end game puzzles that adds and extra little annoyance to the game.

• I loved Catherine a lot. I only got round to playing it in 2017 for myself but watched a lot of playthrough content of the game when it released. I really enjoyed the branching story as well as just the overall high quality of the game. The puzzles never stop being interesting, the game continues to give you new mechanics to play with, and continuously presents new challenge. What's great is that the puzzles aren't randomised, or at least are randomised to a small degree. You can make it to the top through trial and error if you have to.

The overall plot setting is very Atlas by numbers. The interesting thing about the story is Vincent's personal relationship with the cast and the choices you make along the way.

The way Catherine treats trans characters is polarising to say the least. I shan't get into that here because I wouldn't want to conversation to spiral into it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Atlas experiment again in the future. I think Full Body's performance will influence whether we see another title like it outside of Persona and SMT sooner rather than later.

• More than any game so far (sans the ones I have interest in that I followed coverage of, of course), this is the game that I've heard more conversation about and around, further boosted with the release of Full Body. This is one of those perennial games that, for good or ill dependent on your stance, will stand the test of time. I would actually argue, behind Persona obviously, this is probably the most popular game from Atlus. Many comments for this thread from me have been paying respect but not having the interest to play because of premise or genre or what have you, but for me, Catherine is a no because of the trans issue. Even though in relation to the game (proportionally speaking) it isn't really as prevalent throughout the whole experience, it's enough for it to not have my time.

• I just have to say, having played the game including Full Body and seeing most of the content, and staying purposely unaware of spoilers, I'm not even sure what was the trans issue people talked about, I consider myself a very open person in this subject, but I won't say I'm 100% confortable with everything in that area, I just think it is everyone's personal business and more power to them, I never saw something that made me think it was talking about something in an inadequate way, maybe I missed something, but as far I'm concerned it was a non-issue.

• The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

#7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 26 points

Votes

#1: 2 (DemonPirate, Mew2King)
    #2: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #3: 1 (Jamicov)
    #4: 2 (Axel, Bigdude1)
    HM: 5 (Shoulderguy, FF7Cloud, Crepe, naltmank, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: November 18 [EU], November 20 [US]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• funny enough this was actually the reason I bought a Wii, yes long after the other 7 billion people on Earth already had one I know. I'm not sure why, considering I'm not a huge zelda fan in the slightest (link's awakening and wind waker being the only real exceptions) and ultimately I only got like 2/3rds of the way through before getting bored and playing something else. All I remember about it is that the desert area was cool and that I somehow managed to not realize how you're supposed to flap the bird's wings and fly properly until halfway into the game. I really don't know how I even got as far as I did considering I basically just divebombed every island instead of doing it right.

• For as much as everybody was raving about 2011, I really didn't play or love a lot of games from that year. The pickings were so slim that this was my #2, I guess. I hate motion the motion controls, I hate the fights in the quarry and I hate the stamina bar.

But it's also pretty clearly a Zelda game so that's an auto awesome for me usually. And I really liked the hub town and most of the locations. I think without motion, it might be one of my favourite Zelda games but it's just too jarring to not majorly detract from the experience

• As someone who never played any of the Zelda games yet, Skyward Sword is the number one Zelda game that I like to try out (before BOTW came along that is). I just love the art style, and some of the things I heard about the game kinda fits my sensibilities. Hopefully one day Nintendo decides to remake/remaster it with traditional controls.

• It's not a common opinion, but I liked Skyward Sword better than Twilight Princess. However, I didn't really like Twilight that much so it's not the highest bar.

The obvious placement in the timeline was refreshing, the dungeons were good, the antagonists were interesting, and for me the motion controls worked well. I didn't like the combat that much, but I wasn't expecting much. Also,I literally don't remember any of the side quests, so there's that.

• Wow! So happy to see so much love for Skyward Sword!
    I don't have much to say, but it was my first Zelda game and it felt really magical.

• I really like the story and soundtrack of this game, but my house always had issues with motion controls, making this game borderline unplayable for me at times. Anything that required precision was just frustrating. Still thought there was enough good in here to warrant an HM, though.

• Skyward Sword is my #5. I was never a huge fan of motion controls before Skyward Sword, and although I was skeptical, this game did a great job of making it work. And of course the rest of this game has that high level of polish that the series is known for. Excellent dungeon design, music, boss fights and a surprisingly good story (shout out to Groose).

• Skyward Sword is probably one of the worst games I've ever played.