The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• I think I watched Brad stream Skyward Sword and I wasn't very impressed by it.

• These are basically my thoughts on Skyward Sword.

Youtube Video

For the record, I hated my time with the game so much that I have no desire to play Breath of the Wild because I have little faith that the same people who made the absolute travesty of a game that was Skyward Sword could possibly make something I'll enjoy.

The only other game to do this to me is Final Fantasy X, which I thought was so bad that I stopped buying Square Enix games for 7 years.

• @el-shmiablo

Breath of the Wild at least has that sense of adventure that many games lack, but the gameplay loop can be mind numbing after 5-6 hours.

Curious but why'd you hate FFX? I don't like it either because of the VO and story (I prefer to read text in FF6-9).

• I thought the story was completely absurd, and every member of the cast save maybe two characters were completely unlikeable idiots. The absolutely godawful voice acting didn't help it.
    The only thing I liked was the battle system, but honestly if a JRPGs strongest element is its battle system, it probably isn't all that great in the first place.
    Did I mention that the character designs are absolutely ludicrous?
    0_1590076877187_Maester_Seymour_Guado.jpg
    Like what in the actual fuck is this garbage?

• @el-shmiablo Typical Final Fantasy character design? ie. dumb and an inspiration for host bar employees of the time

• @e_zed_eh_intern I know that Final Fantasy has had plenty of wild character designs in it's time, but X just went full retard with it, from Tidus' asymmetrical lederhosen to Lulu's belt dress.

• Skyward Sword is probably my favorite 3D Zelda outside of Breath of the Wild.

There's one thing I usually always dislike in other 3D Zeldas, it's the overworld. It tends to feel like a chore in between dungeons, but in Skyward Sword, those areas a much more compelling level design, like outdoor dungeons. I didn't even mind having to revisit areas later on because they changed so much they felt brand new.

There are some very memorable parts in this game, like the "time travel" stones, and some of the most fun tools like the beetle. It took me a couple hours to get comfortable with the motion controls, and they're by no means perfect, but all in all I feel like they add a lot to the game once you get in the zone.

It was also the Zelda story I got the most involved in at the time, even though by now I've forgotten all about it, just like every other Zelda game. You really don't play those for the plot...

The game has flaws but it doesn't deserve the bad reputation it seems to have. It's an excellently designed game, underserved by a few unfortunate decisions like repeating that damn Imprisoned fight.

• @el-shmiablo You fuck with Titus you fuck with me.

• See, while the problems with Skyward Sword that bother other people certainly stood out to me, they weren't the emotionally bothersome criticisms I had. The criticism I point to is how the sword 'n shield-centric control design made the game far less dynamic. With the earlier 3D Zeldas, you would use subweapons in combat frequently -- snipe an arrow while still locked on, say -- and you could pull off dodges and flips whenever you wanted to. And it always felt really good to, say, side-dodge -> toss a deku nut - > land a hit in one fluid sequence. Or you could "punish" enemy patterns (as easy as they were) by doing a back flip to avoid their hit and then re-close the distance with a crushing jump attack retaliation. It all feels right. But all these capabilities are impossible in Skyward Sword with the way items and movement were designed, and it's a problem so inherit to the controls that it cannot be easily fixed.

I'm much brighter on Skyward Sword though overall. I liked the characters, the story, the beautiful settings, and interesting environments to bustle around in. I would place it "top of the middle Zeldas" in my personal list. I feel many fans enjoy Wind Waker largely because the charm its world and characters outweighs the disappointments, and Skyward Sword is sort of like that for me.

• https://zeldauniverse.net/forums/Thread/152412-My-Skyward-Sword-review-MANY-SPOILERS-AHEAD/

What I didn't discuss in that review was the dungeons. They all looked nice (Lanayru Mining Facility looked REALLY nice), but were generally cramped and had obvious Wii Motion Plus gimmicks. The single standout was the Sandship. It might be worth playing Skyward Sword just for that one part.

I also want to emphasize that the whole second half of the game felt like one big backtrack. All the other 3D Zeldas emphasize forward progress/discovery.

• @oscillator see I loved the backtracking. I just hated when it was executed poorly like the note collecting

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution

#6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 33 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Exist 2 Inspire, paulmci27)
    #2: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 3 (Axel, bam541, Nimbus)
    #4: 2 (ffff0, Sazime)
    HM: 6 (TokyoSlim, Crepe, El Shmiablo, tokeeffe9, Nimbat1003, Atbir Aimad)

Information

Release date: August 23 [US], August 26 [EU]
    Developer: Eidos Montréal
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing, First-person shooter, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• If it's half as good as Mankind Divided, I would love this game. Sadly, I've never played it more than 5 or 10 minutes. I would love to pick up the Wii U version some day.

• This game is awesomeee. It's just so immersive. Having the HUD show up only after you get your cybernetic implants blew my mind back then, and is probably still my favorite detail about this game. The level design is pretty great, there's just so many ways to progress and the game really rewards you for being thorough. There's so many hidden vents and goodies! Also, I feel like most of the skill points actually have their uses. Some are more useful of course, but at the very least they accentuate your personal play style. My personal favorite is probably the dialogue assist thingy, it's so helpful. Coupled with a decent story and interesting world building, it all makes this game a super solid sci-fi RPG.

This came at the time where I like to play games on Hard no matter what, and I wouldn't got through a couple of the parts here if I didn't cheese it, which I really enjoy doing in this game tbh. There's just something so funny about defeating 15 fully armed and armored enemies with a shit ton of stun mines and grenades while being cloaked and forced to sneak away a couple meters every 10 seconds. Not to mention putting my PS3 to its knees since the explosions would make the frames chug. This only happened once fortunately, the rest of the cheesy moments are way less ridiculous.

I like to shoutout the Hengsha (China) levels in this game, it's probably the coolest looking environment in the whole game for me, and there's so much to do here so it's even better.

alt text

• Initially I was disappointed that this game didn't look as good as it's trailers (this was probably the first time I was seeing CG trailers for a game), but after several hours I've accepted its visuals. I remember liking its stealth aspects both in character development and level design. And I think I liked its story and its world. Oh, and one choice you've made that affect one of the boss fights - that was memorable too.

• One of my favourite things about this game is that they put some fun effort in to make it feel made for PC. For example, you could use your keyboard numpad if you had one to input door keypad codes.

I played a fair whack of this game when it first came out, but this was also during the dark times when the Boss Fights were outsourced to a separate developer. Hitting roadblocks the way I did because I'd wanted to focus on stealth really put a sour taste in my mouth. I dropped it not long after because other games had caught my attention.

I've got the most recent remasters with all the patches and stuff to fix the bosses, I just have never gotten round to playing it. I will do eventually as it's fairly high on the list.

Also. Shout out to the way that the game actually has a time mechanic, where different things happen depending on the time you take to get to certain objectives.

• I’ve only played Mankind Divided on PS4 and stopped because the load times were really bad BUT my god that future Prague was such a cool world and I REALLY liked the game. I’ll probably try it again on PS4 Pro.

If MD is the weak link out the two games then Human Revolution being top 10 games of 2011 makes sense. Hell, some people claim this is an all time great. I do want to play it one day.

• I like the vibes of this world but I think I'm just not cut out for immersive sim games because they never really jive with me. I also just can't play games in first person without getting extremely nauseated (same thing happens to me action-heavy games with high frame rates). Wanted to stick this one out more but couldn't play for more than 30 minutes at a time so I dropped it.

• I loved Human Revolution. Honestly one of the best stealth games of all time imo. Nothing beats being a stealthy asshole and ghosting a whole area, listening to them talk about you as you pick em off one by one.
    Not my favorite immersive sim (that goes to Dishonoured) but an incredible game and we'll worthy of a top spot.

• Last gens best game.