The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @sentinel-beach

Skyrim is there for sure .

• I'm surprised Minecraft didn't even make it into the top 25 (The last 5 are gonna be Portal 2, Uncharted 3, Batman, Skyrim, and Dark Souls). Has Minecraft's reputation sunk because it is seen as a game for kids now? Or do people just not associate it with 2011?

• @brandon_reister

I feel like I played Minecraft in 2009 and was beyond over it by 2011.

• @brandon_reister Whoa holy shit you're right Minecraft won't make it. That's insane. That was the first game to get me into online gaming, it has a great gameplay loop, and the sheer magnitude of the stuff you could do is still incredible today.

• This forum is not exactly a representation of the gaming populace at large, I don't think it's that surprising that Minecraft is not in the list.

• @dipset I was beyond over it within two days of playing it but yeah more or less same here
    Minecraft wasn't an early access game, I don't think that was even a thing back then, but that kinda process in general just makes it really hard for me to even consider a game to have come out in whatever year it finally released in. You only have one first impression, after all.

• To the Minecraft point: It released in May 2009. It was already two years old by the time all these games came out.

• Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

#5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 43 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Scotty, bam541)
    #2: 3 (ffff0, Jamicov, naltmank)
    #3: 4 (DemonPirate, DIPSET, Sentinel Beach, Capnbobamous)
    #4: 3 (Brannox, Faaip, Exist 2 Inspire)
    HM: 3 (FF7Cloud, Tearju Engi, Ikataishou)

Information

Release date: November 1 [US], November 2 [EU]
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Uncharted 3 is my #9 of 23. It was a tough decision not to include it in my top 8. And this is coming from someone who only just finished Uncharted 3 for the first time last year. Some of my favorite parts are the backstory for Nate and Sully, Nate and Elana reuniting in Yemen and that plane scene, amazing stuff. That said, I would still go with Uncharted 4 as the best in the series.

@scotty said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

If I won't see Uncharted 3 in top 2 I swear I'm gonna lose it.

RIP :)

• UC3 was my GOTY in 2011. I skipped school to play it so I can apparently relate to those kids who went to the arcades instead of class.

I think I was in denial about it though. Beat it in one sitting and I felt like it never really ramped up to anything major plot or gameplay wise. But at the time I was like.... uhhhh this is amazing....

In hindsight, it’s a really fun shooter and has a lot of awesome moments but it’s the franchise dark horse for me. I ended up playing other games from 2011 for years to come.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still awesome but it doubled down on Uncharted 2 in some of the wrong areas.

• Yoooo. I'm not surprised it's "only" number 5, I don't think this is the most popular Uncharted game any means, which doesn't say that much about the game tbh. Anyway, it's the first Uncharted game I ever played, and I won't deny that I have some biased feelings towards it, but also this is just a good-ass game, full stop.

To start things off, I want to talk about how prominent Sully is in the game. After playing the other Uncharteds, I'm quite disappointed that Sully never had this big of a role in the other games. He's one of my favorite characters of the series, and it's so good to see so much of him, his interactions with Drake and the relationship he had with him.

Another thing that I want to say is that this game had some of the best set pieces/sections of the series. The whole boat section just made me smile for the whole duration, it's the best filler section there is. The plane set piece is overmarketed and pretty short, but damn it's still the most bombastic set piece in the whole franchise. Not to mention, there's a convoy section that Uncharted 2 already did, but this game did better.

I feel like this game's whole angle with hallucinations made it so unique in the context of the whole franchise. It's obviously a prominent weapon of the villains, and it also created some pretty sick moments. The desert section is loosely hallucinogenic, and it's one of my favorite part of the game. The whole supernatural section that occurs right after the "eclipse" made me question whether I'm actually going insane irl.

The biggest problem I can think of is that this game has some of the most annoying combat encounters of the whole franchise. There's something about the enemy numbers and placement that just made it a bit harder than it should. I personally don't mind it that much, but I think it affects a lot of people. A lot of people didn't like that Chloe and Cutter only showed up for the early parts of the game, but I don't mind it that much since I just want to be with Sully, lol.

Overall, this is the second best entry in the franchise IMO. It's definitely the game that defined my current taste in games. Writing this whole thing just makes me want to replay it again...

• I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again because I feel strongly about it.

I think the Uncharted games and particularly 3 is a very bad game that shows a lot of bad design and an example of some of the worst practices in games used to make things seem exciting while being incredibly shallow.

That and freaking hating Nathan Drake and being sad he doesn't actually die in the games, I know this is an extremely opposite opinion, but man did I end up not liking that guy after 3 games.

• I loved every Uncharted game. Uncharted 3 had a lot of cool moments both in story and in presentation. My favorite part was the smooth transition between plane action setpiece and desert desperation. Ship graveyard section felt too long, but the water physics was very cool.

• I believe that I've played about 15 minutes of that game.

• Probably my least favorite Uncharted, but still a great game imo. It's clear they came up with set pieces before they came up with the story surrounding them, but honestly they are so bombastic that you kinda don't care. The whole plane section was just a mind blower at the time.

• Looking at the Uncharted franchise, I would also concur that of the four mainline entries, this is my least favorite, but it's still a personal top 100 game of all time. As is the case with every game in the series, the development in the dynamics of the two most important people in Drake's life (Sully and Elena) further show good they are as characters. The line about the wedding ring when you first Elena in the story is easy to miss, but does wonders in saying so much since Uncharted 2 by saying so little.

I too hold sine of the opinions expressed here regarding getting more Sully than any other entry, the plane sequence and subsequent desert segment (until you get to the town) are slightly misleading for how much the majority of the game doesn't take place in the desert, yet still being a memorable ride, and how I hold the stance the cruise ship is more impressive of a section from boarding to sinking that the entirety of the train in Uncharted 2.

I even love Marlowe as a villain, and she's my favorite of the series. She is easy to loathe but is the type of villain that actually gets what she wants. When she meets her end, it's a gruesome, but satisfactory experience.

However, when I think of Drake's deception, I can't help but also recall some of the warts. A couple combat encounters jump out as being ridiculous, such as in the shipyard when you're having to swim around to avoid the turret and a crap ton of enemies, or when you get into the carhold of the cruise ship and the trap is sprung. In relation to other encounters, at least for myself, they felt like difficulty spikes. Also, having arachnophobia, I went from just loving the mansion to now dreading it every time I replay the game. I also am not a fan of the cave underneath the temple in the middle eastern city for the same reason. I also agree the dismissal of both Chloe and Cutter feel abrupt, especially in the former's case, but 1.) We have Lost Legacy so I'm better with it and 2.) The real life reason the actor had to leave the production to go work on the Hobbit makes sense, but I wish Cutter's dismissal was a bit better.

But in all of that, it's still fun, with the same campy story, fantastical puzzles, mindless but fun action. At the time, I felt it was a nice end to Drake's story, but Uncharted 4 came out and that game is leagues better.

That's quite a bit of people in that post, so I'm not going to do my custom tags and swamp all of with notifications, but high five to you all and good on ya Uncharted 3 for cracking our top 5.

• I'm gonna get to Uncharted one day, I promise... But it might be one of those games I just skip collectables just so I can get through it quickly. Shadows of War Tombs are already going to take long enough.

• I definitely felt like Uncharted 3 was a step down after 2, which I count as one of my favorite games (still haven't played 4 or Lost Legacy). That said, it's still a very good game in my book, and is a great example of the kind of "set-piece game design" that I feel dominated most of the PS3/360 era. It just didn't quite live up to the hype it set with its incredible E3 trailer

• Uncharted 3 is definitely worse than 2 and 4, but it's a great game in its own right. The sequence in the desert is still my favorite moment in the series.

• Uncharted is never a series I loved, 2 would be my fave but the gameplay in all of them I just find lacking, TLOU is the modern ND game I enjoy the most likely because of the more stealth focus.

I expect the top 2 to be portal 2 and dark souls