The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @brannox Yeah, Minecraft is in a weird place I think. By the rules of this ranking, 2011 is it's year. It's the year it was officially released. But it was in open Alpha and Beta for 2 years before that since 2009 as you say, at which point it was already a known entity, and not really something I associate with the rest of 2011s released.

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

It's clear they came up with set pieces before they came up with the story surrounding them, but honestly they are so bombastic that you kinda don't care. The whole plane section was just a mind blower at the time.

I experienced Uncharted for the first time by playing them all back to back 1 to Lost Legacy a couple of years ago, and this was my biggest takeaway after playing 3. The plot was largely secondary, and mainly served as a loose thread to connect all the interesting level ideas that they had. It's not bad by any means. Many developers say that there has to be a symbiotic relationship between the writers and the game designers, otherwise you end up with a game thats fun but crap plot or vice versa.

I enjoyed Uncharted 3 the least, but the set pieces do make it an incredible experience and really quite replayable. I really enjoyed the concept behind the hidden city in the desert too. Much more than the hidden city in the jungle of the previous game.

No one has mentioned it yet, but Uncharted 3, as well as its prequel Uncharted 2, was one of the games in a slew of traditionally single player games to tack on Multiplayer in order to appease shareholders who were pointing at the lightning in a bottle that Call of Duty had found and wanted a piece of it.

Compared to some other terrible attempts like 2009s Bionic Commando, and 2013s Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider, I thought that Uncharted 3's multiplayer was great, and a definite improvement from Uncharted 2. It's not going to win any awards, but it was a multiplayer mode that was genuinely a lot of fun, that you could get really into and good at. You could as easily lose a night to it in much the same way that you could lose a night to the newest Call of Duty.

So yeah. Good game.

• Oh, I almost forgot that Uncharted 3 was a 3D game. That was interesting.

• I also forgot to mention (as it came to me when I was trying to fall asleep) another moment that stood out to me is what happens to Sully when Drake is hallucinating. I'll admit it: I believed it. And while I'm happy it wasn't real, I do understand how it could've had a lot more lasting impact if they kept with it.

And if anyone cares, Nolan North JUST started doing his first ever playthrough on his Retro Replay channel. He's going to have guests (his castmates) as he goes through it. First episode had Richard McGonagle (Sully) and Robin Atkin Downes (Talbot).

• Uncharted 3 could have been an HM, I guess it was #9 for me.

The thing is I played the original trilogy back to back for the first time with the PS4 collection, and they tend to all blend together in my memories now. I had to look up a playthrough on youtube just to remind myself what was in 3 as opposed to 2.

And objectively, it's a better game than some of HMs, but it may be my least favourite of the series (probably because I was burnt out).

As for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it was a daunting task to bring back a series as revered as Deus Ex, and Eidos Montreal did an amazing job. The visual identity is so memorable, the freedom of choice, the consequences, the level design, the attention to detail, the fun of hacking, stealthing, it's all there. Excellent story and protagonist too.

I played it first on 360 and somehow dropped off (I think I got stuck on one of the bosses, like many people). I then picked it up again a couple years later on Wii U, and it was actually an amazing port. They used the gamepad better than most third-party and even Nintendo titles did, I'm pretty confident in saying it's the best version of this game. I adored Mankind Divided too, but there's no denying Human Revolution is a more complete game and the one to recommend if you haven't played either. It would be my GOTY in many other years, but 2 other games beat it for me.

• Uncharted 3 has the best character moments of the og PS3 trilogy imo.

• @shoulderguy said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

@paulmci27 Never played Xenoblade 2 myself but that is the same sense I got from reviews and videos like this one. Which is why I skipped it despite having a Switch. However, I'm still looking forward to finally playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition soon.

Youtube Video

I'm sorry to say, but you are seriously missing out by sticking to what you heard there. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an epic experience, one still rarely seen in videogames. It hosts a fantastic cast of characters, beautiful environments and thanks to lessons learned over both time and a multitude of games , Monolith ended up putting out some of the best looking characters and character designs they have ever put out.

RIP :)

SAD :'(

@dipset said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

I skipped school to play it

I was in the school team and had my afternoons free because of the matches; went directly to the cafe to finish it in 3 sittings.

@bam541 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Overall, this is the second best entry in the franchise IMO. It's definitely the game that defined my current taste in games. Writing this whole thing just makes me want to replay it again...

Exactly!

While I am sad about its place in the list, I didn't surprised that much about it honestly, at least from my time spent around here.

What can I say? Uncharted is my favourite franchise ever and Nathan Drake is my favourite video game character ever also. This is the first Uncharted game I played. I just love the feeling of this game. I remember the time when it was first revealed and then I saw the demo on Jimmy Fallon Show about the burning chateau. It was a love at first sight I tell you.

Story was fun, Nate-Elena was so cute, Sully was the man! Also Nate's greed, Marlowe as a villian, the feeling of adventure were really good parts. And those set-pieces, just wow! To this day I still didn't see anything like that famous plane scene, mind blowing! A little earlier from that scene

Nate's talk with Elena, leaving Elena there, being sad, trying to catch the plane by running, couldn't make it and THEN Elena comes out of nowhere with her jeep and hooting, jumping on her jeep and getting into that plane! ''I'm playing a fricking A+ blockbuster movie here!!!!''

Another thing to add:

I was really glad to know Sully is not dead.

When it comes to action-adventures with similar ideas, this series still doesn't have a strong opponent. Uncharted 4 is my all time favourite, Lost Legacy was great too. Can't wait to see my boy in the next gen.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Monolith ended up putting out some of the best looking characters and character designs they have ever put out.

I'd really like to see those character designs. Everything I've seen so far looks like terribly over designed garbage you might find in a Gust or Idea Factory gane.
    Moving away from Kunihiko Tanaka's style was a huuuuuuge mistake imo.

• @sheria That's fair. I could have just as easily found a video or review that praises Xenoblade 2. Don't knock it until you try it.

Unfortunately, I've already committed to playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition when that releases. I also want to start focusing more on new releases right now. Maybe by the time Xenoblade 2 Definitive Edition comes out for the Switch 2, I'll be ready.

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

@sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Monolith ended up putting out some of the best looking characters and character designs they have ever put out.

I'd really like to see those character designs. Everything I've seen so far looks like terribly over designed garbage you might find in a Gust or Idea Factory gane.
    Moving away from Kunihiko Tanaka's style was a huuuuuuge mistake imo.

Umm.... you can see the designs in the games themselves. I personally think both Gust and IF have very different and distinct looks for their games and i'd certainly never describe either as garbage. Xenoblade 2 takes on its own and I think it's fantastic.

Seems like a subjective topic to me, but maybe you think you know better than others.

@sheria That's fair. I could have just as easily found a video or review that praises Xenoblade 2. Don't knock it until you try it.

Unfortunately, I've already committed to playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition when that releases. I also want to start focusing more on new releases right now. Maybe by the time Xenoblade 2 Definitive Edition comes out for the Switch 2, I'll be ready.

We can't play them all...god should I know too...

It's true, i Iove XC2, but there should'nt be a rush in playing it. XC:DE is already going to take you around 50-60 hours; that's what I put into my second playthough on the N3DS.

• Uncharted 3 has some amazing set pieces but it also has couple of things I don't like making it my least liked in franchise. If you have played CoD: Black Ops you will know what I hate and is my most hated thing in a game. It feels cheap and is a huge annoyance.

• @tearju-engi I too hate the original Black Ops for what I assume are very similar reasons.
    The singleplayer of that game felt almost insultingly bad.

• Some contentious picks in here, and i love it. I wish I had an opinion on Uncharted 3 but I totally skipped it, and I'm just gonna play it on the collection when I get around to it.

• @el-shmiablo @Tearju-Engi clearly neither of you remember the level with the Thundergun. Super immersive, felt like I was there.

• Dark Souls

#4. Dark Souls - 47 points

Votes

#1: 5 (DIPSET, Faaip, tokeeffe9, Nimbat1003, Hazz3r)
    #2: 2 (FF7Cloud, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 2 (Phbz, Tearju Engi)
    #4: 3 (Brandon_Reister, bam541, Ikataishou)
    HM: 2 (Jamicov, Sazime)

Information

Release date: October 4 [US], October 7 [EU]
    Developer: FromSoftware
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I was sure Dark Souls was gonna be #1. I'm surprised this forum has so much love for Portal 2. Dark Souls is not only a great game that still holds up, it also is the most important game in the creation of the souls-like genre, to my knowledge.

• Regrettably, I've never finished the first Dark Souls so it didn't make my list. It was my first experience with the series and I didn't have the patience I needed to finish it back then. On the bright side, I believe that experience is what allowed me to finish Dark Souls 2, 3 and Sekiro, and Dark Souls 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. So even though Dark Souls is not on my GOTY list for 2011, it's still an important game for me.

• I was awed when I learned the paths were connected to each other in the World. It is simply amazing from level design point. I co-oped with my cousin a lot in Demon's but sadly this game went backwards in this. Why it's only 3rd on my list is simple. About half of the bosses sucked as they were just boring. Also Blight town and the swamp area. Yikes that framerate.
    Best fight is easily in DLC. My cousin saw me beating him and it was glorious.