The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Monolith ended up putting out some of the best looking characters and character designs they have ever put out.

I'd really like to see those character designs. Everything I've seen so far looks like terribly over designed garbage you might find in a Gust or Idea Factory gane.
    Moving away from Kunihiko Tanaka's style was a huuuuuuge mistake imo.

• @sheria That's fair. I could have just as easily found a video or review that praises Xenoblade 2. Don't knock it until you try it.

Unfortunately, I've already committed to playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition when that releases. I also want to start focusing more on new releases right now. Maybe by the time Xenoblade 2 Definitive Edition comes out for the Switch 2, I'll be ready.

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

@sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

Monolith ended up putting out some of the best looking characters and character designs they have ever put out.

I'd really like to see those character designs. Everything I've seen so far looks like terribly over designed garbage you might find in a Gust or Idea Factory gane.
    Moving away from Kunihiko Tanaka's style was a huuuuuuge mistake imo.

Umm.... you can see the designs in the games themselves. I personally think both Gust and IF have very different and distinct looks for their games and i'd certainly never describe either as garbage. Xenoblade 2 takes on its own and I think it's fantastic.

Seems like a subjective topic to me, but maybe you think you know better than others.

• @shoulderguy said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

@sheria That's fair. I could have just as easily found a video or review that praises Xenoblade 2. Don't knock it until you try it.

Unfortunately, I've already committed to playing Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition when that releases. I also want to start focusing more on new releases right now. Maybe by the time Xenoblade 2 Definitive Edition comes out for the Switch 2, I'll be ready.

We can't play them all...god should I know too...

It's true, i Iove XC2, but there should'nt be a rush in playing it. XC:DE is already going to take you around 50-60 hours; that's what I put into my second playthough on the N3DS.

• Uncharted 3 has some amazing set pieces but it also has couple of things I don't like making it my least liked in franchise. If you have played CoD: Black Ops you will know what I hate and is my most hated thing in a game. It feels cheap and is a huge annoyance.

• @tearju-engi I too hate the original Black Ops for what I assume are very similar reasons.
    The singleplayer of that game felt almost insultingly bad.

• Some contentious picks in here, and i love it. I wish I had an opinion on Uncharted 3 but I totally skipped it, and I'm just gonna play it on the collection when I get around to it.

• @el-shmiablo @Tearju-Engi clearly neither of you remember the level with the Thundergun. Super immersive, felt like I was there.

• Dark Souls

#4. Dark Souls - 47 points

Votes

#1: 5 (DIPSET, Faaip, tokeeffe9, Nimbat1003, Hazz3r)
    #2: 2 (FF7Cloud, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 2 (Phbz, Tearju Engi)
    #4: 3 (Brandon_Reister, bam541, Ikataishou)
    HM: 2 (Jamicov, Sazime)

Information

Release date: October 4 [US], October 7 [EU]
    Developer: FromSoftware
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I was sure Dark Souls was gonna be #1. I'm surprised this forum has so much love for Portal 2. Dark Souls is not only a great game that still holds up, it also is the most important game in the creation of the souls-like genre, to my knowledge.

• Regrettably, I've never finished the first Dark Souls so it didn't make my list. It was my first experience with the series and I didn't have the patience I needed to finish it back then. On the bright side, I believe that experience is what allowed me to finish Dark Souls 2, 3 and Sekiro, and Dark Souls 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. So even though Dark Souls is not on my GOTY list for 2011, it's still an important game for me.

• I was awed when I learned the paths were connected to each other in the World. It is simply amazing from level design point. I co-oped with my cousin a lot in Demon's but sadly this game went backwards in this. Why it's only 3rd on my list is simple. About half of the bosses sucked as they were just boring. Also Blight town and the swamp area. Yikes that framerate.
    Best fight is easily in DLC. My cousin saw me beating him and it was glorious.

• Ah there it is. Dark Souls. Not the genesis (Hey there Demons Souls), but this game was the explosion of popularity for it. I'll never forget when my best friend got it for Christmas and I pretty much lost him to it for a WHILE. I've never cared for the aesthetic, difficulty, and up until recently the mechanics, but "Baby's first Souls-Like" (tm) a.k.a. Jedi Fallen Order finally got me to understand the value (and satisfaction) of perfectly timing a block-parry-dodge combo.

I'm actually surprised it didn't medal, and now I'm convinced what the final three are. Just got to wait to see the order (and as always, I'm REALLY looking forward to the post-reveal breakdown).

• Oh hey Dark Souls, didn't expect this one to be not number 1. I had so many good memories with this game. Encountering a mimic for the first time, entering Anor Londo, getting into the secret underground dragon place, and so on. I played the wonky PC port on my laptop, and it's all worth it so I can show off how bad I am at the game to my friends at school. We all freaked out when we saw Quelaag, lol.

Also, I totally forgot that Battlefield 3 haven't showed up in this list... Not liking it's chances right now tbh.

• I hate y’all. This is game of the generation. Fuccccccc y’all

• Battlefield 3 is GOTY right? This all makes sense now...

• As much as I started to like the Souls series as time has gone on, it does irritate me in the overall obtuseness of it all. It still weird to me it can be enjoyable as it is, despite some aspects of the stats and leveling being completely unexplained and the lore being isolated to weird fan-fic writers arguing with each other on the internet (it's fine, it doesn't need a clear explanation, I find that to be a bit more charming).

It's got so much wonderful and awful things about it, and I love the fact the series exists just as it is.

• You've made a mistake @Axel . We haven't had 4, 3, or 2 yet. You're not supposed to post Number 1 til Tuesday/Wednesday. And you've written "4" next to "Dark Souls", not 1.

• As a non-From fan I find this position very pleasing. #onlyhalftrolling

• Well, well, well.

I'm not usually very attached to games and lists and what have you, but I'm with @DIPSET on this one. This has hit me hard.

Dark Souls is by far one of the best games ever made. Period.

For a start, it's incredibly deep. There are things you won't see in this game for a long time, if not ever, if you don't play it right. Ian of EZA likes to say that the "Form is the Function" a fair bit with this game, and while I do tend to poke fun at his reliance on the phrase, it is so true. The game will never explain gameplay nuances to you, like how to engage in PvP, or how each covenant works, or what you should be doing at any one time. The game doesn't give you lots of exposition apart from the set up at the beginning, and it's up to you to just figure out what to do throughout the entire game, based purely on the wishes of the few friendly NPCs you'll come across along the way.

For example, the Dark Wraith Covenant. On the surface it's just the PvP Invasions Covenant, the game realistically has a vested interest in guiding you towards that mechanic as it's a very unique part of the game that players will likely enjoy. A few Cracked Red Orbs can be found by the player in the game world, allowing them to dabble, but they'll not fully commit without reason due to their finite, consumable nature. They can't relax and enjoy the feature.

But it's practically impossible to join the Dark Wraith covenant unless you know how. For a start, you have to completely ignore one of the very few NPCs that actually seems like a friendly NPC. You then have to, against your instinct, throw yourself in a pit, and then go beat a specific boss. All while still ignoring that NPC that most players will gravitate towards, especially on the first playthrough. Only after having beaten one of the hardest bosses in the game for new players, will you uncover Kaathe, the Dark Wraith Covenant, and unbeknownst to 95% of players, an entirely new way to interpret the main story of the game.

Most people will never have seen that content, and that's incredible. And there are lots of other examples of this, like Ash Lake and the Pyromancers. That elevates Dark Souls closer to a piece of Art than any game I've ever played. Dark Souls has not compromised in its design in order to make sure that Players get to enjoy all the content. It adds up to make Lordran feel like a world that's there to truly explore. Not a Theme Park waiting for me to see all the attractions.

Some might not like what I've described above, but I think that Dark Souls, through Lautrec, a Secondary Character that the game makes you deal with, the game teaches you that you shouldn't trust people just because they're in your safe area and they're not attacking you. By extension, this leads the player to question everything.

The game world is gloriously expansive and intricate. Everything is connected in exceedingly clever ways. For example, many guides will tell you that you need the Master Key to access Blight Towns back door. No you don't. Take the lift down into the Valley of Drakes from the bottom of Dark Root Basin. Run all the way back to the Blighttown back door, grab the key, unlock the door, and boom. You have your shortcut from Firelink Shrine to Quelaag. You can beat the game while never fighting the Taurus Demon too. You can do this easily using the Master Key, or you can drain New Londo in the early game if you're capable, and enter Dark Root Basin and the Undead Church through the back entrance. Undead Burg PvP FOREVER! 🙌

Finally, the online nature of the game was expertly done. From the things that most people will get to use, like the Soapstones, and the Messages, to the things that few will see and fewer will even understand, like the Dragon Covenant, or Vagrants. Even just the bells ringing every time someone beat the Gargoyles. What a great way to make new players feel united in what is likely the first section of the game that most new players will be having difficulty with.

All this is without touching on the normal stuff. The RPG and combat design is wonderful. It's so darn creative, with many different builds and playstyles. There's no single strategy to play the game. You just play to your strengths, and the way you want to play. One of my favourite things about the RPG systems is that you can, and probably should, find a weapon you like and then level it up using the Blacksmith. The normal weapons are the ones that are viable for the endgame, and while there are weapons that give you a short term advantage like the infamous Drakesword, it doesn't scale to end game like the other weapons do. Add in all the special boss weapons and specialty weapons, like the Moonlight Greatsword, the Black Knight Weapons, the Great Sword of Artorias. You could play Dark Souls for weeks and still struggle to obtain every weapon.

Shout out to the Balder Side Sword crew and the Zweihander posse. The Zwei got me to my first Dark Souls completion, and the Balder Side Sword introduced me to the aggressive playstyle that many don't see til Bloodborne.

Finally, the presence of a Souls Level 1 character on the Character creation screen, and the way the game is tuned. I love how more than anything, it's player knowledge and skill that's rewarded in Dark Souls. You can beat the game never levelling up your character. You can leverage the game in such a way that you can one-shot many of the bosses. I know Git Gud is a meme at this point. But in Dark Souls, that sentiment is always true. If you persevere, if you learn the game, watch that attack pattern, figure out your moveset on your favourite weapon, there is nothing the game can throw at you that you can't overcome. And that's amazing.

I think this is the biggest post I've ever written on this forum. I love Dark Souls. It's one of my favourite games of all time, and has shaped the way I look at games today. The top 3, from my best guess, are all well deserved places. One in particular I'm really happy has placed so high.

To finish it off, here's an old video from vegeta311, where he challenges himself to one-shot as many Dark Souls bosses as possible.

Youtube Video