The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @hazz3r said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

But Skyrim is great because it lets you do anything and everything. It has pretty good combat and at the same time it's a strong stealth experience and at the same time has an expansive magic system and at the same time impressive set pieces and at the same time engaging random encounters and quests and at the same time many engrossing quest lines and at the same time an enticing levelling system and at the same time very customisable difficulty settings and at the same time a tonne of mod support.

This is exactly how I feel about Skyrim. Oblivion had more varied environments and, arguably, more interesting DLC's/Expansions.
    However, if you're into min-maxing, Oblivion has the worst leveling system to do that. God forbid you mess up your leveling and get stuck fifty hours in under-powered, and/or in a useless class. Skyrim doesn't have those problems.

While I did enjoy Oblivion overall, Skyrim had all the improvements I wanted and more.

• I'm not surprised to see Skyrim reach top three. It's one of those games, for good or ill, that just takes OVER the gaming zeitgeist. We're still in the midst of Fortnite, and before that was PUBG, which was after Overwatch, Hearthstone, GTA V, and then this. It's weird just how all-encompassing a game can be to an industry and a hobby. Anywho, Skyrim is a game that has two personal issues: 1.) Way, WAY too much to do and choice. Kind of "paralysis by analysis" as it were. For me, it's not a selling point to say a game is triple digit in hours and you still will content to parse through. And 2.) Spiders. $^#& Spiders.

And with that, I'm hoping my top two will actually be the forums' top two and if that is the case, it'll be the first time that's happened. I'm excited to see the final reveal later tonight!

• Batman: Arkham City

#2. Batman: Arkham City - 59 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Sentinel Beach, Crepe, Axel, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 3 (Shoulderguy, Brannox, Atbir Aimad)
    #3: 6 (Scotty, Brandon_Reister, El Shmiablo, Nimbat1003, Exist 2 Inspire, Ikataishou)
    #4: 2 (Hanabi, naltmank)
    HM: 5 (ffff0, bard91, Sazime, bam541, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: October 18 [US], October 21 [EU]
    Developer: Rocksteady Studios
    Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Portal 2

#1. Portal 2 - 64 points

Votes

#1: 5 (Brannox, Phbz, Jamicov, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Atbir Aimad)
    #2: 4 (TokyoSlim, Sazime, Ikataishou, Hazz3r)
    #3: 5 (Shoulderguy, bard91, Faaip, tokeeffe9, GageBlackW23)
    #4: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    HM: 6 (ffff0, DIPSET, Brandon_Reister, Crepe, Axel, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: April 19 [US], April 21 [EU]
    Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: Puzzle-platform
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I played all of the Batman Arkham games for the first time last year. I enjoyed them all and Batman Arkham City was my favorite. Great boss fights and story, with improved combat and movement from Arkham Asylum. The first time you grapple and soar around the city is thrilling, and it never got old for me. I think it's a better experience than any of the Batman movies, probably better than a lot of the comics too (I don't read them). We seriously need more games like this.

Portal and Portal 2 are two of the best puzzle games I ever played. I slightly prefer 1 over 2. The final third of Portal 2 dragged on a bit too long. Otherwise, Portal 2 is a near flawless game. Also, I didn't get a chance to try the co-op, which I've heard good things about. I never thought Portal 2 would rank #1 but It's well-deserved.

• And it happened! Awesome! Both of these are great games that I didn't get to until well after the fact, but I'm glad I did.

For Batman: Arkham City, I know I've said this elsewhere (I think in the 2015 thread), but trying the Arkham Asylum demo on 360 got me into not just the Rocksteady Arkham games, but also the Nolan movies. But going from Asylum to City wasn't immediate; it took a while for me to get City, but when I did, I felt irritated it took me so long. Of all the games, City has my favorite story, and having Arkham City split into specific areas of territory for the villains (Joker, Penguin and Two-Face having their own space) really gave off a sense of unique turf in an open city. With each game, the settings have gotten better, and while Asylum gets a lot of deserved of having captivating interiors and being an interconnected 3D metroidvania island, The potential of city just spoke to me more. Another underrated aspect of City is introducing side-stories for more villains to be involved that don't get as much attention like Hush and Deadshot. Getting to play as Catwoman was a nice change up (and the first shot of the game being such a nod to the end is too good). Finally, obviously, the most notable part the City is known for: The top tier boss fights.

Despite how much I enjoy Arkham City, my GOTY for 2011 is Portal 2. The original was a revelation to me and something so good in such a condensed package I thought couldn't be improved. But Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons alone proved me wrong, not to mention the story, and just as excellent, the co-op mode. The writing in this game is probably (for me) top five across all games. GLaDOS being even better really further underscores this. Because she is a potato. I replayed it within the last few months and every aspect of this game holds up exceptionally well. The puzzles are good teases, and introducing the gels and funnels as mechanics just further twisted the perspectives. And yes, because no one really cared as much as I did at the time about Portal 2, I grabbed a second controller and beat co-op by myself. The only thing about the game that is slightly to its detriment is that replayability is dependent upon how long between play sessions you go, giving you enough time to forget the puzzle solutions. Easily a top 15 game of all time.

Again, like Uncharted 3 above, I'm not going to tag everybody (and that would quadruple unnecessary seeing as these are the top two games of 2011 as determined by us), but yeah. High five one and all!

And finally (in terms of what I want touch on, not the post. Sorry for the novel), my list with words about the games that didn't make it.

1. Portal 2
    2. Batman: Arkham City
    3. Gears 3
    4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    5. (HM) Resistance 3
    6. (HM) Dissida: Duodecim Final Fantasy
    7. (Doesn't qualify) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
    8. (HM) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    9. (HM) Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

Ratchet & Clank All 4 One was in the midst of a stretch of R&C games that were not good and to this day it's inexplicable. I credit with trying to make an R&C game with not just co-op, but 4 player co-op, and it just doesn't work. From gameplay to mission structure and linearity to even story itself, All 4 One was a disappointment that hit hard.

I'm not a Call of Duty person, and the Modern Warfare trilogy cemented that. When I saw this game's demo on Xbox's stage, I'll admit it, I was impressed. Enough so I borrowed my father's copies of the first two MWs. This game is whatever, in that the multiplayer was iterative of all that came before it, the campaign was nothing more than very loud and bright set-pieces to escalate an increasingly nonsensical plot, and spec-ops was a, "play it once, and never again" kind of mode. Oh, and the horde mode Survival wasn't compelling either.

Halo: Combat Evolved is a good game on its own, and the graphical upgrade that is Anniversary is a fun contrast with the stark retro graphics of the original. But with the exception of the skulls, achievements, and terminals, the game didn't do anything new. Recency bias speaking, but we've been spoiled the Remakes of the last couple of years.

Lastly, Dissidia: Duodecim is a trip. The ONLY Final Fantasy in which the named main protagonists and villains of all mainline entries interact with one another in a single story. Seeing all the vignettes between all these different characters is fascinating. The gameplay is a learning curve and a 3D free roaming fighter isn't really what one would think when describing a Final Fantasy game, but if enough time is put into the mechanics, you can actually do well. ESPECIALLY if you played the original Dissidia, where you can import ALL of your progress over to Duodecim, particularly because the entirety of the first game is a part of Duodecim. Think of it as like a Left 4 Dead in Left 4 Dead 2 situation. But the mechanics, plus the repetitive nature of fights (as they're all 1v1) in pretty bland environments is the game's biggest detriments. It's like the story was the primary focus while every other aspect of the game was secondary. But to end on a positive note: I'm a BIG fan of many of the character designs, and the box art RULES. The original's was also as awesome, with a reversible cover, one side the forces of Cosmos, the other the forces of Chaos.

Thank you so much for reading any of this if anyone has! Kudos again to Axel and to all participants for making another fantastic thread!

• 1: Yakuza 4
    2: Portal 2
    3: Bastion
    4: Catherine

HM:
    Deus Ex Human Revolution. LA Noir, Skyrim, Dragon Age II

• I was kinda hoping that Arkham would take first place, but Portal is an excellent game so I can't really complain. I can really play Arkham forever though. I have started the game more times than I can count, and on more than a few occasions I have fiddled around with making my own Arkham lore series on YouTube. It's just such a rich world.

RIP to Minecraft, MvC3 and Mario Kart 7.

• Portal 2 is my #5. The best thing about it is that each time I thought “Ok, I did this long enough, what else do you have?” the game immediately introduced something new. So the flow was perfect. Story was nice and sometimes funny, but not exceptional. Don’t remember much about the puzzles, but probably they were good. Multiplayer was OK, but there was more coordination than puzzle solving. So it was a great game to play, but not much to remember.

• Batman: Arkham City is my #8. I’m not a Batman fan, so for me it was just a fun 3-rd person action game like many others (well, maybe not many, but definitely not unique). It got my #8 because I really liked the ending – it was unexpected and surprisingly moving.

• Here’re my top 8 2011 games:

1. Dragon Age II
    2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
    4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    5. Portal 2
    6. Catherine
    7. Saints Row: The Third
    8. Batman: Arkham City

The only game that didn’t make into top 25 is Saints Row: The Third. I’ve played this game with a huge smile on my face and some jokes made me laugh out loud. Loved it.

• Sad not seeing The Binding of Isaac or Kirby's Return to Dreamland anywhere on this list.
    It seems that I still got plenty of games from 2011 that I got to get to though!

• My full list for 2011:

1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    2: Batman Arkham City
    3: Portal 2
    4: Saints Row: The Third
    5: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    6: Total War: Shogun 2
    7: Gears of War 3
    8: LA Noire
    9: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    10: Super Mario 3D Land
    11: Minecraft
    12: Pokémon White
    13: Terraria
    14: Dragon Age II
    15: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
    16: Mario Kart 7
    17: Star Wars: The Old Republic
    18: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    19: Bastion
    20: Sonic Generations
    21: Magicka
    22: Dungeon Siege III
    23: Resistance 3

I recently finished Dead Space 2 and enjoyed it. But not enough to make my top 8, those 8 games are just too good. I would have probably put Dead Space 2 around #11.

Thanks again to @Axel for giving us something to look forward to during these dark times.

• Seeing the lowkey hype for Portal 2 in this forum kinda bums me out, I bought the game on Steam a few years ago and never got to try it because I had to switch computers to my current weak-ass mini laptop. This is the first game I'm installing when I get a more capable computer.

I'm not the biggest fan of Batman (or most superhero stuff), but the Arkham games are just so damn good. Even if I don't know or care about the lore/story stuff, these games has done well to make exciting moments that could pull anyone to becoming Batman fans. My personal favorite is Arkham Knight, but Arkham City is probably the definitive peak of the series. So many great story moments, and the jump of scale from Arkham Asylum is optimally used to make it a better game.

My full list is:

1. Uncharted 3
    2. Battlefield 3
    3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
    4. Dark Souls

Honorable Mentions:

• Resistance 3
    • Batman Arkham City
    • Infamous 2
    • Skyrim

I'm pretty disappointed about BF3 not making it in. It's definitely my favorite multiplayer game ever. It's the first game that I ever played online on my PS3 (using shitty 3G+ mobile wifis), and I also made my first online friend here... that's a story for another time. There's a lot of great moments that I experienced in my 100+ hours playing it, but the one thing I never forget is the chaos of Operation Metro rush mode: me desperately trying to revive as many people as possible while dodging bullets, rockets and grenades in the super enclosed underground train station. For the record, I only played on the PS3 version which only feature 24 players instead of 64 players on PC. Not that it mattered to much, it's still a very exciting game for the most part even with that limitation, especially on the Rush game mode. It also has great DLCs, the best ones being Aftermath (inventive level designs) and Endgame (capture the flag is so god damn intense).

Thanks @Axel for running this whole thing, and also everyone else for participating. It's always been fun seeing the games pop up one by one and also seeing everyone's thoughts and reactions.

• I shall comment more later in the day when I don't have work to be doing.

But...

Portal 2 should be in the Hall of Greats! Not Portal 1! This is far more satisfying though, so I'll take this :)

• I'd love a new Batman game at this point finally. I really hope the fall release is true for the WB Montreal's project. Arkham City remains my favourite of the series so far.

How I voted:

#1: Batman: Arkham City
    #2: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    #3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    #4: Infamous 2
    HM: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    HM: L.A. Noire
    HM: Mortal Kombat
    HM: Saints Row: The Third

• funny enough my list was reversed.

1-Dark souls
    2-skyrim
    3-batman
    4-Portal

HM-
    Dead space 2
    saints row the third
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    infamous 2

i have alot of respect for batman and portal 2 though i really need a replay of the batman games as i am super rusty and they lost of to my top 2 because i have replayed and revisited them many times with upwards of 200hours in each.

while i never actually finished portal 2 (stolen) but it derserves the praise because of it's uniqueness.

little sad saints row didnt make it at all though the recent remaster is a nice makeup.

• TES has a special place in my heart. I've been playing the games since I got my first PC at 16, starting with Daggerfall, and my wife and I have bonded over Skyrim immensely. It's one of a few games we both put hundreds of hours into, and early in our relationship, before she started playing games in earnest, she was as hype as I was on the collector's edition I had picked up at the midnight release.

I can't say I'm happy about B's recent releases in the realm of the same types of games, but nothing is ever going to take away the time spent playing, discovering, replaying, and discovering something new each time. I just love the worlds they create. I will never stop seeking out the Dark Brotherhood. Their quests are the best.

MK9 and Saint's Row: The Third are my only selections not to make this list, and if you didn't put SR3 up there, I'm sure Johnny Gat has words for you (it was the first game in the series I played, and I absolutely love it). If you haven't played SR3 yet, take advantage of the re-release and get the OG on the cheap. It's a ton of fun.

EDIT: Eff it, I'm reinstalling SR3 so I can play it again after I finally finish AC: Odyssey.

• It warms my heart to see so much love for Saint's Row: The Third. I was sure I'm the only one who have voted for it.

• @ffff0 3 was perfect. 4 jumped the shark (but was still fun).