The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• @ffff0 3 was perfect. 4 jumped the shark (but was still fun).

• @sazime I loved 4. Traversal was fast and ridiculously fun.

• i felt like 4 just made vheicles useless haha.

• I actually enjoyed Batman Arkham City quite a lot, but I felt like it lost something special by going open world. It's not like they could have done the asylum again, so I understand why but I much preferred the inmates running the asylum narrative and backtracking, slowly discovering more and more about Arkham Asylum so I preferred the original much more.

Portal 2 is borderline perfect in its puzzle gameplay. Tag on all of the community stuff and the game is endless. I just felt like it went on too long, but it's definitely one of the best games of last gen.

My GOTY List

1. Dark Souls

2. Fight Night Champion

3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

4. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Honourable Mentions

• Battlefield 3

• Portal 2

• LittleBigPlanet 2

• Resistance 3

I'm not surprised, but I think Battlefield 3 is a pretty big omissions from the Top 25. It is one of the best Battlefield games let alone shooters of the generation. Not too many games have a perfected formula like BF3 has. Hell, DICE has been chasing their tail since releasing it. The balance, time to kill, large scale maps, close quarters maps, everything was a working formula. It also had "next gen" graphics before next gen.

• The good guys finally won!! Shoutout to Portal for taking down an Uncharted, Skyrim AND Dark Souls on this forum. Fortunately, nothing Kojima came out that year. I have only really played the coop in Portal 2 but it is more than enough to make it my game of the year.

My list:

Portal 2
    The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
    King of Fighters 13
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin

Didn't play a ton that year, I guess. I'm sure I would have voted for MK9 and Saints Row the Third if I had played them more.

• My List

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Tropico 4
    Portal 2
    Alice Madness Returns

Honorable mentions:
    El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
    Child of Eden
    Anno 2070

One of the best years for me not much in terms of releases but simply because i was still in high school so i had more time to play games in general and try different genres.

Xenoblade Chronicles is very close to my ideal type of JRPG cause it's both comfort food, crazy value with potentially hundreds of hours of contents, but also manages to engage you with its very unique world and story. One thing it's easy to forget now is that at the time it looked extremely impressive: because it was almost a seamless open world and people wanted those, because it was on the Wii hardware and nobody knew you could make giant worlds in such a weak hardware, but also because JRPG as a genre was facing a weird transitional period, we didn't have a game so ambitious like that in years. Visually it doesn't hold up but thankfully there's the definitive edition for that.

Tropico 4 is a game i appreciated more over time, when it came out i wasn't super into the colorful aesthetics, but out of all the 3D Tropico games this is the one that best recreates the same atmosphere of the first one, and expand upon that concept without ruining the vibes. Great soundtrack too, many catchy songs that remained stuck in my head for a long time.

Portal 2, like others said, legendary game, infinite replay value thanks to the editor and the community. I already loved the first one so this got me immediately, in terms of level design maybe the best game Valve has ever produced.

Alice Madness Returns, i just have good memories of its amazing art direction, visuals and crazy locations.

El Shaddai maybe one of the coolest extremely underrated last gen games, very unique and artsy, but also fascinating how it came to be between developers and publishers.

• Not surprised it didn't make it but Radiant Historia was the only one missing from my list I think, if not an underated game, it is one that should at least get a little more recognition because it is very good, but that won't happen unless Atlus decides to remake games on platforms that aren't dead.

• @bard91 I've heard only good things about that game

• @Axel Please submit our Top 25 to Community Showcase: https://www.patreon.com/posts/community-june-37526056

• @gageblackw23 Got El Shaddai on my HM too. Two votes!

• Dead Space 2
    Resistance 3
    Batman Arkham City
    Motorstorm Apocalypse

HMs
    Infamous 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 3
    LittleBigPlanet 2
    Deus Ex Human Revolution

I knew a few of these were doomed to not make the list at all, but was pleasantly surprised at a few that did.

I miss Motorstorm.

1. Dark Souls
    2. Portal 2
    3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
    4. Catherine
      HM: Batman: Arkham City
      HM: Skyrim
      HM: Star Wars: The Old Republic
      HM: LA Noire

Only one of mine that didn't make it was SWTOR. Loved that MMO. Lost a lot of time to it.

• @hazz3r The first 30 levels of Star Wars: The Old Republic was some of BioWare's best work. I feel like the game got a little too grindy after that.

• @ffff0 Yup, I saw the post, I'll submit it :)

• 1-Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    2-To the Moon
    3-Batman: Arkham City
    4-Infamous 2

HM
    -Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    -Gears of War 3
    -Killzone 3
    -Resistance 3

To the Moon is one of those games that hit the person. It has an awesome song too. It's a shame I still didn't play the sequel.

Batman: Arkham City is only better than Asylum and that is in gameplay department. In terms of story, after 3-4 hours it feels forced and stretched for the sake of it. Both Origins and Knight are better games overall, in fact Knight is the ultimate form of the series. Only thing I missed from City and Origins was the ''feel'' of the punches. They were sacrificed and replaced with faster combat. But I had to say it's amazing how Batman, Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing feels different to play in combat and it's awesome! Especially playing with Nightwing on infinite challenge maps is still something I do time to time. Unfortunately Origins just reskinned the Robin as Deathstroke, what a dissapointment!

I didn't surprised about Killzone 3 but MW3 was one of the biggest things in that year, interesting to not see it here.

1. Super Mario 3D Land
    2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    3. Pokemon B/W
    4. Batman: Arkham City
      HM: Infamous 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 7

There's definitely some selection bias here - I play so few games that the ones I end up liking tend to already be a major part of the zeitgeist.

• @scotty MW3 was the year that Infinity Ward left Activision for EA and became Respawn. The drop in quality was very noticeable.

• Yeah. What blows my mind is that MW3 becane the best selling COD game up to that point and the only person I know of who played it was my friends little brother. He sold MW3 to my other friend for $0.10 and we played it at my friends house and it really sucked.

2011 is when I thought Call of Duty might start to go away because everybody I know was into Battlefield 3 and that was just a waaaaaaay better game, but clearly COD bounced back selling more and more as the games got blander and blander.

• @el-shmiablo

I can't say it was better/worse than MW2 as I don't remember it that well because I played it years ago. But IW still worked on it and it was a good game and closure to the trilogy.

• @scotty I may be wrong, but I think only "Infinity Ward" worked on it, i.e. the schmucks that inherited the name but had very little to do with the original IW.
    I just have a hard time believing it was the OG IW who made that lacklustre piece of dog turd game.