The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!
Scotty last edited by Scotty
1-Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2-To the Moon
3-Batman: Arkham City
-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
-Gears of War 3
To the Moon is one of those games that hit the person. It has an awesome song too. It's a shame I still didn't play the sequel.
Batman: Arkham City is only better than Asylum and that is in gameplay department. In terms of story, after 3-4 hours it feels forced and stretched for the sake of it. Both Origins and Knight are better games overall, in fact Knight is the ultimate form of the series. Only thing I missed from City and Origins was the ''feel'' of the punches. They were sacrificed and replaced with faster combat. But I had to say it's amazing how Batman, Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing feels different to play in combat and it's awesome! Especially playing with Nightwing on infinite challenge maps is still something I do time to time. Unfortunately Origins just reskinned the Robin as Deathstroke, what a dissapointment!
I didn't surprised about Killzone 3 but MW3 was one of the biggest things in that year, interesting to not see it here.
naltmank last edited by
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- Pokemon B/W
- Batman: Arkham City
HM: Infamous 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 7
There's definitely some selection bias here - I play so few games that the ones I end up liking tend to already be a major part of the zeitgeist.
@scotty MW3 was the year that Infinity Ward left Activision for EA and became Respawn. The drop in quality was very noticeable.
DIPSET last edited by
Yeah. What blows my mind is that MW3 becane the best selling COD game up to that point and the only person I know of who played it was my friends little brother. He sold MW3 to my other friend for $0.10 and we played it at my friends house and it really sucked.
2011 is when I thought Call of Duty might start to go away because everybody I know was into Battlefield 3 and that was just a waaaaaaay better game, but clearly COD bounced back selling more and more as the games got blander and blander.
Scotty last edited by
I can't say it was better/worse than MW2 as I don't remember it that well because I played it years ago. But IW still worked on it and it was a good game and closure to the trilogy.
@scotty I may be wrong, but I think only "Infinity Ward" worked on it, i.e. the schmucks that inherited the name but had very little to do with the original IW.
I just have a hard time believing it was the OG IW who made that lacklustre piece of dog turd game.
Scotty last edited by
I'm not asking about this topic, just curious as I've noticed it before too: Why don't you say ''very bad/awful/terrible'' instead of these descriptions?
DIPSET last edited by DIPSET
I don't have the desire to actually cite this, but I'm 90% sure Modern Warfare 3 was made by Infinity Ward after the mass exodus when their studio head quit to make Respawn Entertainment. Not to say everybody left but we're talking mass exodus. And I agree, the quality of Modern Warfare 3 was so far less than COD 4 and MW2. Essentially, no innovation here.
Skip ahead to 2019, and a lot of the original Infinity Ward team wanted to work on Modern Warfare (2019) so they returned back to IW. One thing I noticed is that the lead animator from MW2 worked on MW 2019 and if you've played that game, some of the animation is incredible.
I believe IW and Respawn have a good relationship and the beef was mainly between the former studio head of IW (now head of Respawn) and Activision itself. No bad blood with the studios.
But yeah, Infinity Ward had a string of dog dirt COD games (MW3, Ghosts, Infinite Warfare). Their demise in quality led to Treyarch going from the COD B-team to the A-team.
@dipset When Treyarch is your A-Team, something is seriously wrong.
Mod note: moved thread to hall of fame
Axel last edited by Axel
Well that was a tight one!
- It was a tale of 5 at the top!
- Portal 2 only won by 5 points, the closest margin we've had, tied with 2014. 64 points is the third-lowest total for a winner. It also got only 5 GOTY votes, tied with Skyrim and Dark Souls. That doesn't make it a weak winner though, considering the competition.
- It is only the second Valve game to ever rank in our GOTYs, following Counter-Strike at #21 in 2000.
- 4 out of the top 5 games held first place at one point or the other (with the exception of Dark Souls), and as a pack, were pretty much always way ahead of the rest.
- Interestingly, silver medal Batman: Arkham City only got 4 GOTY votes, less than its 3 closest competitors.
- After 11 votes, Dark Souls only had 7 points (which made me wonder if everybody forgot it came out that year...), but things picked up afterwards. After Sekiro's comeback last year, I really think there's something about Souls fans and voting last.
- The top 3 are all Western games, it's only the third time it happens, after 2018 and 2012.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution ranked #6, one place above Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in 2016, but below the original Deus Ex's 3rd place in 2000. That's one consistently excellent series!
- Yakuza 4 ranked 11th with 15 points, the exact same as Yakuza 5 in 2015. But below Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 in the following years. That's one consistently improving series!
- 18 games are singleplayer only, 4 offer singleplayer and co-op (Portal 2, Dark Souls, Gears of War 3 and Rayman Origins), and only 4 offer competitive multiplayer (Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, Pokémon Black and White and The King of Fighters XIII). Correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I could easily have overlooked something.
- Nintendo got 5 exclusives on this list: 2 Wii games in the top 10 (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles), 2 DS games (Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and Pokémon Black and White), and only 1 3DS game in its launch year (Super Mario 3D Land).
- Only 3 PS3 exclusives: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, inFAMOUS 2 and Resistance 3.
- 1 Xbox 360 exclusive: Gears of War 3.
- 1 PC exclusive: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (which would come to consoles a year later anyway).
- Now for the snubs! To the Moon, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Battlefield 3 narrowly missed out with 7 points!
- 6 points: Saints Row: The Third.
- 5 points: Minecraft, Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
- 4 points: Fight Night Champion, Tropico 4.
- 3 points: Sonic Generations, Killzone 3, The Binding of Isaac, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
- 2 points: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Mortal Kombat, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mighty Switch Force!, Mario Kart 7, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Alice: Madness Returns.
- 1 point: Total War: Shogun 2, Arcana Heart 3, Magicka, Before the Echo, Patapon 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, From Dust, Forza Motorsport 4, Outland, Radiant Historia, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Aliens: Infestation, Gods Eater Burst, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Rage, Bulletstorm, Dead Island, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Child of Eden, Anno 2070.
- 0 point: Homefront, Crysis 2, Brink, Need for Speed: The Run...
I've played 12 out of these 25 games. The ones I still want to play: Yakuza 4, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Not bad!
Thanks to all of you for sending in your votes, and for your comments on every game, I love reading about why each title means so much to some of you. I think it was also one of our most unexpected winners ever, usually it's easy to guess which one or two games will make it to the top, but I doubt many of us would have bet on Portal 2 (top 5 yes, but maybe not winner).
Now I'd like to ask your opinion on something, I'll make a separate thread for it soon!
Hazz3r last edited by
- 20 games are singleplayer only, 4 offer singleplayer and co-op (Portal 2, Dark Souls, Gears of War 3 and Rayman Origins), and only 4 offer competitive multiplayer (Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, Pokémon Black and White and The King of Fighters XIII). Correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I could easily have overlooked something.
That adds up to 27? Little confused? How many made the rankings?
paulmci27 last edited by
I'm the only one that voted for Bulletstorm that's a fun ass shooter.
Brannox last edited by
@axel I love these so much.
@hazz3r Told you I was probably wrong with the numbers ;)
It's because I originally counted Dark Souls among the singleplayer games before remembering it had co-op, and counted Pokemon before remembering it had multiplayer.
So it's 18 singleplayer only.
ffff0 last edited by
@axel I can't find your submission. Maybe it was deleted?
@ffff0 I hadn't done it yet, just did!
You can see Brandon and Brad's reactions to our GOTY here! Really fun, looks like they enjoy those recaps :)