The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!
El Shmiablo last edited by
@dipset When Treyarch is your A-Team, something is seriously wrong.
Mod note: moved thread to hall of fame
Axel last edited by Axel
Well that was a tight one!
- It was a tale of 5 at the top!
- Portal 2 only won by 5 points, the closest margin we've had, tied with 2014. 64 points is the third-lowest total for a winner. It also got only 5 GOTY votes, tied with Skyrim and Dark Souls. That doesn't make it a weak winner though, considering the competition.
- It is only the second Valve game to ever rank in our GOTYs, following Counter-Strike at #21 in 2000.
- 4 out of the top 5 games held first place at one point or the other (with the exception of Dark Souls), and as a pack, were pretty much always way ahead of the rest.
- Interestingly, silver medal Batman: Arkham City only got 4 GOTY votes, less than its 3 closest competitors.
- After 11 votes, Dark Souls only had 7 points (which made me wonder if everybody forgot it came out that year...), but things picked up afterwards. After Sekiro's comeback last year, I really think there's something about Souls fans and voting last.
- The top 3 are all Western games, it's only the third time it happens, after 2018 and 2012.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution ranked #6, one place above Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in 2016, but below the original Deus Ex's 3rd place in 2000. That's one consistently excellent series!
- Yakuza 4 ranked 11th with 15 points, the exact same as Yakuza 5 in 2015. But below Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 in the following years. That's one consistently improving series!
- 18 games are singleplayer only, 4 offer singleplayer and co-op (Portal 2, Dark Souls, Gears of War 3 and Rayman Origins), and only 4 offer competitive multiplayer (Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, Pokémon Black and White and The King of Fighters XIII). Correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I could easily have overlooked something.
- Nintendo got 5 exclusives on this list: 2 Wii games in the top 10 (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles), 2 DS games (Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and Pokémon Black and White), and only 1 3DS game in its launch year (Super Mario 3D Land).
- Only 3 PS3 exclusives: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, inFAMOUS 2 and Resistance 3.
- 1 Xbox 360 exclusive: Gears of War 3.
- 1 PC exclusive: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (which would come to consoles a year later anyway).
- Now for the snubs! To the Moon, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Battlefield 3 narrowly missed out with 7 points!
- 6 points: Saints Row: The Third.
- 5 points: Minecraft, Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
- 4 points: Fight Night Champion, Tropico 4.
- 3 points: Sonic Generations, Killzone 3, The Binding of Isaac, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
- 2 points: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Mortal Kombat, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mighty Switch Force!, Mario Kart 7, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Alice: Madness Returns.
- 1 point: Total War: Shogun 2, Arcana Heart 3, Magicka, Before the Echo, Patapon 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, From Dust, Forza Motorsport 4, Outland, Radiant Historia, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Aliens: Infestation, Gods Eater Burst, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Rage, Bulletstorm, Dead Island, The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Child of Eden, Anno 2070.
- 0 point: Homefront, Crysis 2, Brink, Need for Speed: The Run...
I've played 12 out of these 25 games. The ones I still want to play: Yakuza 4, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Not bad!
Thanks to all of you for sending in your votes, and for your comments on every game, I love reading about why each title means so much to some of you. I think it was also one of our most unexpected winners ever, usually it's easy to guess which one or two games will make it to the top, but I doubt many of us would have bet on Portal 2 (top 5 yes, but maybe not winner).
Now I'd like to ask your opinion on something, I'll make a separate thread for it soon!
Hazz3r last edited by
- 20 games are singleplayer only, 4 offer singleplayer and co-op (Portal 2, Dark Souls, Gears of War 3 and Rayman Origins), and only 4 offer competitive multiplayer (Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, Pokémon Black and White and The King of Fighters XIII). Correct me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I could easily have overlooked something.
That adds up to 27? Little confused? How many made the rankings?
paulmci27 last edited by
I'm the only one that voted for Bulletstorm that's a fun ass shooter.
Brannox last edited by
@axel I love these so much.
@hazz3r Told you I was probably wrong with the numbers ;)
It's because I originally counted Dark Souls among the singleplayer games before remembering it had co-op, and counted Pokemon before remembering it had multiplayer.
So it's 18 singleplayer only.
ffff0 last edited by
@axel I can't find your submission. Maybe it was deleted?
@ffff0 I hadn't done it yet, just did!
You can see Brandon and Brad's reactions to our GOTY here! Really fun, looks like they enjoy those recaps :)