The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• I've tried Gears of War 1-3 via Xbox Game Pass in 2018 and I dropped every one of them after 30 minutes or so, because they felt outdated. I like Gears 4 and 5 and maybe I had liked Gears 1-3 if I played them back then, but third-person cover-based shooters have evolved and old games simply aren't fun for me today.

• Pokémon Black and White

I enjoyed it although this gen as a whole didn't feel the best, quite a few stinkers in there. Like others have mentioned, I really appreciated that the entire campaign only offered the new gen Pokémon, and kept the national dex for the post-game.

It also had a more interesting and mature story than most games in the series. In a normal year, it would have gotten an honorable mention from me, but 2011 is just full of GOTYs.

Gears of War 3

As much as I loved Gears 1 and 2, I wasn't as hyped for 3 (can't remember why). I did play it though, or part of it, at a friend's in co-op, but we were drinking and I don't remember much of it. So... that's all I can say about it!

• Gears 3 came out literally the day I moved into my Student Halls for my first year at University. So while I played the game as much as I could, I ended up not having loads of time to play it, despite being really excited for the game. Peak Gears hype for me was Gears 2, even getting to achieve Seriously 2.0. I even bought the Edition with the Marcus statue.
    Marcus Fenix Statue

I enjoyed seeing the conclusion of the Story, but there were too many great games at this point, and I was too busy discovering my adult life, to really spend any time appreciating this game.

• @scotty Pretty sure that People Can Fly took over development duties after 3 until they switched over to the new dedicated studio that made 4 and 5.

• @el-shmiablo

Yeah, they look like they are on the right track with the Gears 5 from what I've read.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

#21. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Nimbus)
    #3: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #4: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 20 [US], November 4 [EU]
    Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation Portable

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Well that would have been one that would be in my list had I seen it eligible, as my 3rd place, so I messed up.

Even though Persona is my favorite franchise, 2 I just found to be a very good game, but not one I love like 3, 4, 5 I do think the story is great but playing the game just wasn't fun for me, just something I had to get through.

Maya is one of the best girls in the franchise though, which is saying a lot.

• This wouldn't be a Forum GOTY list without a Persona! Because I don't the history of Persona, it kind of surprises me to see Persona 2 be more recent than I thought it would be and seeing it as a PSP game instead of a home console is also a little surprising. But nothing surprises me like seeing a Persona NOT within the top 10.

2011 is weird. I am (as always) ever curious with each passing day and reveal.

• @brannox this was a remake of Persona 2, the original one is a PSone game so 1998 if I recall correctly.

And it is not surprising at all it isn't higher, it is a much less popular and extremely different to the games that popularized the franchise, I know there's a crowd that holds 2 like the best game, but for many it simply isn't as entertaining as the later games, and that's why there's such a clear division in the popularity of the games.

• I was about to include it, the thing is i'm playing it these days and haven't finished it yet so not felt enough knowledgeable to put it above the other games.

I like older Persona more than the 4 or 5, probably cause i like core SMT more.They are just more straightforward, I don't want to wait 5-10 hours of chitchat about kids romance before getting into the real meat of the game (dungeons and combat or even more serious story stuff).

The only thing i'm not liking it so far is the combo of high encounter rate + random encounter (and extremely long dungeons), but that's common in old JRPGs.

The remake is perfection, they brought some nice quality of life improvements including a far better UI, the problem is Eternal Punishment remake which is the second part of the story didn't get localized, but there is an extremely good fan translation online. (far better than the original official one for the PS1 release)

• @bard91 Persona 2 was actually divided into 2 games: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. The west originally only got Eternal Punishment on PS1. They remade both for PSP but then the west only got Innocent Sin. So the only way to play both not in Japanese is to play the PSP remake of IS followed by the PS1 version of EP. Besides the strangeness of playing a PSP sequel on PS1 (or PS3 as psone classic), a bunch of stuff carries over in your save file if you play both on the same system. So playing both in the west kind of feels half as good as it could be.

• @e_zed_eh_intern for sure playing Eternal Punishment was a big hassle for that reason, still an enjoyable game because of the story, but dated as hell

• I played an emulator version of Persona 2 for the PS1 and I kinda felt like the DNA that I know from P4 and P5 was still there, but it felt pretty damn dated and I had no desire to continue on. Also, don't you fight Hitler at some point in this game? I assume the plot goes off the rails somewhere.

• @dipset I kinda feel like that one part should have spoiler tags just in case somebody sees this game here and decides to give it a go.

• Resistance 3

#19. Resistance 3 - 10 points

Votes

#2: 1 (El Shmiablo)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Scotty, Brannox, DIPSET, FF7Cloud, NeoCweeny, bam541)

Information

Release date: September 6 [US], September 9 [EU]
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

L.A. Noire

#19. L.A. Noire - 10 points

Votes

#2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Shoulderguy, TokyoSlim, Sentinel Beach, bard91, Axel, Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: May 17 [US/EU]
    Developer: Team Bondi
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• This list is so unpredictable and I love it.

• I never played resistance, but it is funny how that just dissapeared completely from existence, it got to be pretty big deal last gen and this must be the first time I remember it even existed in years.

• My friend was a big Resistance fan, I remember going to his house when he got Resistance 3. We ran into so many bugs, having to replay missions multiple times. Enemy AI would often be shooting at a wall oblivious to whats going on. And the entire campaign just felt underwhelming overall.

• Oh wow, a tie. Well let me just speak about L.A. Noire for a line or two before getting into Resistance.

For what it is, I have to give credit to L.A. Noire for what it tried to do, especially with the facial technology, but it's one of those games that's a period piece, not only in terms of content but in its generation as well. These kinds of games are not for me, but I respect it all the same.

As for Resistance, this is probably the Insomniac franchise that doesn't get enough love. Of the five Resistance games made, there are only the three mainline by Insomniac proper and the two spinoffs. I would say this is my second favorite game of the series and it topped my HMs, just barely missing the top 4 cut. I enjoyed the concept of aliens invading in a time World War II didn't happen because of it and the juxtaposition of 50s era Earth tech with all the wacky Chimera weaponry and creatures. By the time you get to this game, the series does a great job of making you believe you achieved the goal whichever game puts you on, but by the end and subsequently the beginning of the following game, you realize it's an ever increasing lost cause for humanity to survive.

The first game is ridiculously high on my personal favorite games list, whereas 3 is a pretty significant gap before it shows on said list. 3 is the best looking game for sure, and bringing back the weapon wheel (which for some bizarre reason was dropped for Resistance 2 in favor of following the CoD model of being only able to carry two weapons at a time) brings the fun of weapon juggling.

But despite how fun the gameplay is and how the world looks, I'm not a big fan of:

• Not playing as Nathan Hale (but if you've played the games you know why it's necessary you can't for 3)
    • The total redesign of the Chimera as I think they look worse than all their other iterations
    • Speaking of redesign, the main protagonist of 3, Joe Capelli, is a completely different character, in both the way he looks and there's a different voice actor from his prior appearance in the series (Though the Resistance novel A Hole in the Sky does a great job giving him character).
    • Plus I feel the ending is somehow simultaneously anti-climactic and unearned despite it being logical within that universe.

Regardless, it's still a fun game, and if you've never had it pointed out to you, look closer at the above art, you'll notice the NY skyline in the negative space of the fangs.

I would love another Resistance game, but since this is the last one in the timeline, the ending is pretty definitive in how it doesn't make sense their'll be another one. And not only has Insomniac moved on to bigger projects, but (and it pains me to say this) Resistance, Killzone, and others are all confused together and are easily mistaken for one another. And as I said about L.A. Noire: Resistance is a period piece for the gen it was in: Fun at the time, solid all around by a big name with a dedicated small fanbase, but we'll probably never see another again.

As always, customary appreciation to all fellow voters! @Scotty, @DIPSET, @FF7Cloud, @NeoCweeny, @bam541, and @El-Shmiablo

• L.A. Noire is #8 on my list. More than anything, I like the authentic 1940's style and atmosphere in L.A. Noire. The game has some great action sequences that make use of the setting. I really enjoyed the investigation and interrogation gameplay even though it could have used a little more work. Also, I thought the voice acting and use of motion capture was cool at the time. It's definitely a game I would love to see a sequel to.