The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• I remember playing Origins for a couple hours and enjoying it, then never touched it again. It's not bad, I just think there's nothing particularly special or interesting about it gameplay wise. It's a good 2D platformer which isn't exactly my favorite genre.

• By and large I've let Rayman as a franchise pass me by. While I like the genre and have my fair share of personal favorites across my life, I think Rayman isn't appealing enough to me to really stand out in a very crowded genre. Also, it's kind of messed up (to me and me alone) how when I think of Rayman I have immediate association (and more exposure) of the Rabbids. Weird.

• Just played this recently & was surprised how much I enjoyed this, the platforming is magnificent with super tight controls, gorgeous graphics & mental soundtrack also found this pretty challenging to 100%. Makes a change from the other mascot 2d platformers Mario & Sonic that are a bit on the easy side.

• Like many others, I own this game and really enjoy it...but don't love it. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't jump out for any reason. The time trials are rad though.

• So I think this game is not bad. The Rayman series always had a momentum to it, and I think conceptualizing it as something not far from a runner, with just-in-time platforming and a nice visual style was a good choice. Not a bad way to spend some time, but I don't think it's going to change anyone's outlook on the genre.

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!:

But in Origins and Legends, there's all these weird characters, the big blue guy, the flying frog, the viking girl, etc. Who the hell are they? Where do they come from? Were they previously introduced in the series? When?

The big blue guy (Globox) and the flying frog (Murfy) debuted in Rayman 2, a.k.a. one of the best 3D platformers of the 90's.

Globox and Murfy were also in Rayman 3 - surprised you didn't recall them.

The Viking girl (Barbara) debuted in Legends.

• @oscillator Dang beat me to it. Globox and Murfy are bros.

• Well, the more you know! Guess they didn't make an impression, now I feel bad for insulting them.

• @axel As you should.
    (I'm going to apologize to you profusely in advance just in case that post can be misconstrued as 'baiting' for some ridiculous reason)

• I feel baited.

• Yeah, most of the Rayman cast and the Teensies debuted in Rayman 2. The plot is extremely similar to Spyro Ripto's Rage actually. What an odd coincidence.

Rayman Origins is a great game that reviewed extremely well. I remember loving it on release. The issue is that Legends outshines it in every way, making it fade into the background. Those damn music levels are some of the best platforming to ever exist.

I think the best thing about Origins was that you could make a platformer that wasn't retro styled or backed by Nintendo and still make a successful game. Origins was the start of the platformer renaissance I think.

• Pokémon Black and White

#23. Pokémon Black and White - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Mew2King, naltmank)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (FF7Cloud, Jamicov, Nimbus)

Information

Release date: March 6 [US], March 4 [EU]
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Pokemon White is #12 of 23 on my list.

I would have put it higher but I'm not a fan of most of the Pokemon designs of this generation. This game has my least favorite starters and the 3 legendary deer look dumb. It's still a good Pokemon game and I remember the Unova region being a fun world to explore.

• I've said a few times I dropped off Pokemon HARD after playing Diamond and just disliking quite a lot, so not only can I not speak to Black and White, I can't say anything pertaining to ANY of the games post Gen 4. I like the above box art though, because that's a nice design.

• Pokemon Black 2 is my favorite game in the series. It could be because it was my first foray into the series and possibly a bit of childhood nostalgia, but man do I love that game. It might seem weird, but I actually haven't gotten around to the first entry in the Gen V duology.
    If it's anywhere near as good as the sequel then this would've definitely made my list.

• Another game that I played over the past couple of years that has left no lasting impression. They tried to go 3D before they were ready to go 3D. The only cool idea was having only all new pokemon, with no previous pokemon. Gave it a nice Gen 1 feel in that regard.

• Pokemon is Pokemon, so I always love it. That said, Gen V was the last time I truly obsessed over the game, getting super into breeding and EV training so I could crush my brothers. Big props for having the main game with an entirely new set of Pokemon and no national dex til the postgame, but this was also the first time I felt the middling creature designs outweighed the good ones.

• @e_zed_eh_intern We did good!

One of the best fighting games of its generation, if not the best.

• Kinda torn on this game since I played it once at launch and while I did think it was alright, I was already burnt out pretty hard on the franchise at that point (I really don't like the main gen 4 games and even looking back I just think HGSS are alright) and it was the last time I was really "into" a pokemon game during its hype cycle. I did eventually pick up XY and enjoy it for what it was, but the franchise lost me again (much harder this time) not long afterwards anyway.

• Gears of War 3

#22. Gears of War 3 - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Bigdude1)
    #3: 1 (Brannox)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Shoulderguy, Scotty)

Information

Release date: September 20 [US/EU]
    Developer: Epic Games
    Publisher: Microsoft Studios