The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2011!

• Unexpected. I tought it would be way higher than that. Like I said in the other thread, there were a lot of hype for this, it was the ''culmination!(with Huber's voice)''.

• Gears of War 3 is #7 on my list. Gears 3 has some beautiful locations, more level variety than the previous two games. And like @Scotty said, it's the culmination!

• I feel like peak Gears hype was Gears 2. I never liked the series but a lot of people in high school were obsessed with the series in 2008 kinda dropped out by Gears 3.

• I haven't played a GoW game since the first, but man, what a powerhouse. Love the love the series gets. MS is definitely doing something right in keeping it going!

• Always felt like GeoW3 was the peak of it and then they never catch the same magic again, just like Halo 3(never played it, just assumption from what I read/see).

• Of all the games I played in 2011 (and quite frankly pretty much most of the games I've played), there are extremely few that would rival the amount of hours I poured into Gears 3. Being such a die hard Gears fan, this is one of the first games where the wait for it was brutal. I've anticipated other games for a longer period of time, but I just remember Gears 3 being one of the first where I would actively seek out news in the year/year and a half before it released.

I'm not a Horde fan, so it and Beast were the modes I put the least amount of time into, but Beast being a much quicker pace made it a more enjoyable experience than Horde. I also REALLY didn't care for how Epic redesigned the characters, so much so that Dom literally doesn't look like any resemblance of his previous design while others characters were more identifiable.

That said, I felt the campaign was a nice length, even if it wanted to go into even more bizarre sci-fi territory down the stretch. And yet, I'm still angry about the end of the Mercy section, only because Clayton survives the campaign. It's a personal bitter taste I still carry because of who took his place.

And yet, for all of that, the OVERWHELMING majority of time was spent in offline multiplayer, trying to achieve as many Onyx medals as possible. Now-a-days the thought of mindlessly playing against bots over and over and over and over across three modes primarily (Team Deathmatch and King of the Hill were the fastest way to level up) doesn't sound interesting, but Gears 3 came at a time when I was pretty new to Xbox Live, combined with not as have as many replayable games as I do today AND the fact I had not much to do as I was in college at the time and I'm not a social person to begin with. Plus, this is probably the only game I have EVER played that I cared about cosmetics and I think motion skins are pretty cool, so I'm partial to the fire or moving steel variants.

It places third on my list because despite me being a big fan of the franchise, there are better entries in the series AND 2011 had a couple of more games that I found a LOT more enjoyment in, even if I have not put nowhere CLOSE to the amount of hours.

Regardless, I'm happy it was able to squeak out just enough votes to make our list and shoutouts to @Shoulderguy, @Scotty, and @Bigdude1 for liking it enough to nominate it.

• I've tried Gears of War 1-3 via Xbox Game Pass in 2018 and I dropped every one of them after 30 minutes or so, because they felt outdated. I like Gears 4 and 5 and maybe I had liked Gears 1-3 if I played them back then, but third-person cover-based shooters have evolved and old games simply aren't fun for me today.

• Pokémon Black and White

I enjoyed it although this gen as a whole didn't feel the best, quite a few stinkers in there. Like others have mentioned, I really appreciated that the entire campaign only offered the new gen Pokémon, and kept the national dex for the post-game.

It also had a more interesting and mature story than most games in the series. In a normal year, it would have gotten an honorable mention from me, but 2011 is just full of GOTYs.

Gears of War 3

As much as I loved Gears 1 and 2, I wasn't as hyped for 3 (can't remember why). I did play it though, or part of it, at a friend's in co-op, but we were drinking and I don't remember much of it. So... that's all I can say about it!

• Gears 3 came out literally the day I moved into my Student Halls for my first year at University. So while I played the game as much as I could, I ended up not having loads of time to play it, despite being really excited for the game. Peak Gears hype for me was Gears 2, even getting to achieve Seriously 2.0. I even bought the Edition with the Marcus statue.
    Marcus Fenix Statue

I enjoyed seeing the conclusion of the Story, but there were too many great games at this point, and I was too busy discovering my adult life, to really spend any time appreciating this game.

• @scotty Pretty sure that People Can Fly took over development duties after 3 until they switched over to the new dedicated studio that made 4 and 5.

• @el-shmiablo

Yeah, they look like they are on the right track with the Gears 5 from what I've read.

• Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

#21. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Nimbus)
    #3: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #4: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 20 [US], November 4 [EU]
    Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation Portable

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Well that would have been one that would be in my list had I seen it eligible, as my 3rd place, so I messed up.

Even though Persona is my favorite franchise, 2 I just found to be a very good game, but not one I love like 3, 4, 5 I do think the story is great but playing the game just wasn't fun for me, just something I had to get through.

Maya is one of the best girls in the franchise though, which is saying a lot.

• This wouldn't be a Forum GOTY list without a Persona! Because I don't the history of Persona, it kind of surprises me to see Persona 2 be more recent than I thought it would be and seeing it as a PSP game instead of a home console is also a little surprising. But nothing surprises me like seeing a Persona NOT within the top 10.

2011 is weird. I am (as always) ever curious with each passing day and reveal.

• @brannox this was a remake of Persona 2, the original one is a PSone game so 1998 if I recall correctly.

And it is not surprising at all it isn't higher, it is a much less popular and extremely different to the games that popularized the franchise, I know there's a crowd that holds 2 like the best game, but for many it simply isn't as entertaining as the later games, and that's why there's such a clear division in the popularity of the games.

• I was about to include it, the thing is i'm playing it these days and haven't finished it yet so not felt enough knowledgeable to put it above the other games.

I like older Persona more than the 4 or 5, probably cause i like core SMT more.They are just more straightforward, I don't want to wait 5-10 hours of chitchat about kids romance before getting into the real meat of the game (dungeons and combat or even more serious story stuff).

The only thing i'm not liking it so far is the combo of high encounter rate + random encounter (and extremely long dungeons), but that's common in old JRPGs.

The remake is perfection, they brought some nice quality of life improvements including a far better UI, the problem is Eternal Punishment remake which is the second part of the story didn't get localized, but there is an extremely good fan translation online. (far better than the original official one for the PS1 release)

• @bard91 Persona 2 was actually divided into 2 games: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. The west originally only got Eternal Punishment on PS1. They remade both for PSP but then the west only got Innocent Sin. So the only way to play both not in Japanese is to play the PSP remake of IS followed by the PS1 version of EP. Besides the strangeness of playing a PSP sequel on PS1 (or PS3 as psone classic), a bunch of stuff carries over in your save file if you play both on the same system. So playing both in the west kind of feels half as good as it could be.

• @e_zed_eh_intern for sure playing Eternal Punishment was a big hassle for that reason, still an enjoyable game because of the story, but dated as hell

• I played an emulator version of Persona 2 for the PS1 and I kinda felt like the DNA that I know from P4 and P5 was still there, but it felt pretty damn dated and I had no desire to continue on. Also, don't you fight Hitler at some point in this game? I assume the plot goes off the rails somewhere.

• @dipset I kinda feel like that one part should have spoiler tags just in case somebody sees this game here and decides to give it a go.