Top 5 Gaming Series

• Hey Allies

With the lockdown & all Ive got the kids around 24/7 & the wife constantly having Zoom parties the few hours a day I have to myself once they're in bed has got me appreciate the finest of all hobbies has got me think what are my favorite gaming series of all time. I've kept it to top 5 to make some hard decisions.

Final Fantasy. Ever since I played ff7 in 97 as a 15 year old & had my mind blown I've been all in series I even love the more derided games likeff type 0 & 15 (except 13 couldn't get on with it)

Resident Evil. I didn't even know how much I loved these games until I realise I play at least 5 games a year.

Deus Ex. The original was the last PC game I ever played & still to this day warts & all is in my top 3 games. I also adore the Reboot games just as much

Dishonored. Came to this series late, 2 was my first went back & played 1 & all the dlcs. For me the perfect game.

Metro. The atmosphere & world building have me so immersed in this world the mix of fps & survival horror is pretty unique. I also love the handmade sandboxes of Exodus. All killer no filler.

• These are in no particular order - except for number 1

1. Metroid - The first one I played was Super Metroid when my friend brought his SNES over. I think it was also the first one I owned when I picked it up about 20 years later. I remembered really liking it but wasn't sure how it would hold up. It's my favourite game. I've never played the entries generally recognized as stinkers (Hunters and Federation Force) but have played all the others and loved them all - yes, I liked Other M... for the gameplay, at least.

Final Fantasy - just like you, @paulmci27, this was my first and just like you, it got me hooked for life. As much as they change between entries, they somehow do a fantastic job of making you feel like you are playing an FF game every time.

Grand Theft Auto - Day 1, every time since Vice City. Each entry adds more freedom and crazy things you can do to the point I am always impressed. Plus, random GTA moments are my greatest joy.

Mario - 3, World 1 & 2, 64, Sunshine, Odyssey. It's insane to me that all of those games are from the same series.

Zelda - Have played and finished almost all after Link to the Past. Loved them all. Majora's Mask, #1! Like Final Fantasy, each game feels unique but each one also gives you those Zelda vibes.

• Ordered from least to most favorite:

Ace Combat. I've been a lowkey fan of this series for a long time, but I only have played the PSP games... until Ace Combat 7 came out. AC7 is one heck of a game, and it spurred my to seek out the other games I haven't played. I love the great balance of realism and arcade in the gameplay in the AC games, but I love the story and lore aspects of these games even more. The canon universe of the AC games is the Strangereal Universe, and most of the games are basically big events that happen in this universe. It's so cool replaying AC7 and noticing the nods to older games in it that I wouldn't have noticed before.

Battlefield. I haven't delved to all Battlefield games, but the core formula of these games is just so rock solid. Even in the era of Battle Royales, a good Battlefield game still feels unique. Battlefield 3 was my first proper introduction to the series, and IMO it's easily my favorite game of the bunch. I went back and played some of the older stuff after then, like Bad Company 2, BF2, BF2142, and BF1943, and I enjoyed all of them. BF1 is probably my second favorite, absolutely love the atmosphere and setting of that game. BFV wasn't a great game, or even a finished game, but it's still a fun time because of it's core formula.

Gravity Rush. This series only had two games, but with that two games it has established an interesting and unique world filled with colorful characters and fun stories that I can't wait to get back into... probably won't happen anytime soon since GR2 didn't do very well. Anyway, GR1 established a solid base for the series, and GR2 massively improved it on nearly all fronts, culminating in it being a very memorable game that pulls no punches and makes the most out of it's potential. I still can't handle the final act of that game, it's so damn good.

Grand Theft Auto. This is a series that has been delivering a gigantic amount of joy for me, starting from the first time I played Vice City and when I played GTA V all night a few days after it launched. I love being thrust into the stylish world of Vice City. I love running around wrecking havoc using weapon cheats in San Andreas as my friends watched and take turns. I love being able to play such expansive open world games on my little PSP with Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. GTA IV blew my mind as it is the first game I played on the PS3 with its graphics and gritty realism. Trading drugs in Chinatown Wars is way more addictive than it should. Lastly, there's a ton of things that I like about GTA V, but the one thing that I really cherish is how awesome the final triathlon side mission was. The beautiful image of frantically cycling through the empty streets of early morning Los Santos as the sun rises will forever stay in my memory.

Uncharted. I still remember popping the Uncharted 3 disc for the first time, and being blown away at least once every hour as I played the game overnight and finishing it the next day before being basically knockout for two straight days. Definitely worth it. It's a great introduction to the series, and I rushed to get the previous two games soon. I only got a few months later because I had to order them overseas, which is the first time I did that. It was quite the hassle, and also a very long process, but god damn it was so worth it. No other series does this kind of action-packed cinematic action thing as well as Uncharted, and it has been more clear as the series goes on and as the industry focuses less on singleplayer experiences. These games has widened my perspective about what video games could achieve, and I wouldn't be so open-minded about games if I never played these games. It's also a very consistent series, with Golden Abyss being the closest thing it ever had to being a bad game, and that game was swimming in 7s. Plus, with Uncharted 4, I feel like the series got an ending that actually wraps up the series very neatly, which I can't say for most things. Lost Legacy gave a sneak peek of what the future holds for the series, and it's a exciting direction that I can't wait to experience.

• @bam541 That triathlon can eat a dick. Coming down the hill in Vinewood Hills, I smoked a stop sign while taking a corner and died. I didn't even know that was possible on a bike until that point - and what a time for such a discovery! I did eventually beat it but it's the thing I look back on with the most disgust in that game.

• @e_zed_eh_intern lol that sucks, but man it would have been hilarious to watch.

1. Zelda - consistently high quality throughout its entire multi-decade run, with irreplaceable music, characters, art, atmosphere, and dungeon design.
    2. Pokémon - not as consistent, but the original games launched a juggernaut onto the world, and its spinoffs have also been solid.
    3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - note that I specified "Pro Skater", as the original trilogy is leaps and bounds ahead of what came after.
    4. The Elder Scrolls - I personally only count Oblivion and Skyrim, but Morrowind also has a huge following. A genre unto itself.
    5. Dance Dance Revolution - the rhythm games that popularized rhythm games, with deceptively simple gameplay, and impeccable original and licensed soundtracks.

1. Doom - only franchise where each and every game is masterpiece.
    2. Half life - Franchise always create impact. sadly real traditional Half life still missing. not care about VR spinoff.
    3. Deus Ex - Original is best game ever made, second game just suck, then HR become masterpiece and then MD disappoint. means next game will be good.
    4. STALKER - although hardly a franchise because it has one game follow 2 standalone expansion but STALKER SoC is best FPS ever made, COP was excellent as well, and STALKER 2 around the corner.
    5. Max Payne - Best TPS series and easily strongest trilogy of all time. bullettime with most satisfying shooting never get old.

1. The Elder Scrolls - Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion is my favorite. I played Morrowind by way of the exceptional Morroblivion conversion mod.

2. The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. All are in my top 10 games of all time. I like most games in the series but these three are on another level.

3. Pokemon - Pokemon mainline series and Pokemon Snap. I started with Pokemon Crystal and have been a fan ever since. Leaf Green, Ruby and Soul Silver are the games I enjoyed most.

4. Mario - Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time. Mario 1, 2, 3, Galaxy 1 and 2, and Odyssey are some of my favorites as well.

5. Total War - Rome 1 and 2, Medieval 2, Empire, Shogun 2, Warhammer 1 and 2, Three Kingdoms. Rome was the first I played of the series, and the gameplay hooked me right away.

Honorable Mentions:
    XCOM
    Fire Emblem
    Grand Theft Auto
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age
    Batman Arkham

• Yakuza: It's a unique series. There really isn't anything else like it out there. I genuinely like all the mainline numbered entries, though the original and Kiwami 1 are my two least favorites (for different reasons).

Mass Effect: I hate HATE HATE!! the ending to ME3. Yes, I take it as a personal insult. That's because I love the first two games so much and the ending of ME3 is just pure disrespect to the lore of the universe and the existing characters you just spent 2.5 games and hundreds of hours bond-building with. I played Andromeda late enough to where all the patches and stuff were in place, and honestly... I had a good time.

MLB The Show: I'm probably going to be the only one that puts a sports game on this list, but year in and year out - there's not much I play more of than MLB The Show, and I'm not even the biggest baseball guy. I think that if Madden would pull it's head out of it's own ass, maybe this spot would have been that game instead. But MLB is solid if not great every year. Constantly changing up and tweaking jusssst enough. Honestly - MLB20 might be one of the weaker entries in the last few years, lots of glitchy/broken outfielding, but also some welcome structural changes and modes to keep it rolling.

Persona: While I have not played and have little interest in 1&2, and actively loathe half of 3... my love for 4, 4 Golden, 5, and 5 Royal, dancing all night and Arena land this series on my list.

Edit: Forgot one that I'm putting here instead
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. The series had 4 games, and I liked all 4 of them. I keep wishing they'd make more Rogue Squadron games, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Honorable Mentions: Dragon Age, Red Dead, The Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed

• @tokyoslim I was pretty close to putting NHL on my list but, while I do enjoy it, I find it to be my brain-off game so I don't get too invested in it anymore.

• I have two very clear franshises in the top spots, the rest not so much.

Persona

Nothing to say, loved it since I played 3 in PS2, P1 and P2 are not dear to me and the spinoffs are a mixed bag (really looking forward to Strikers) but 3, 4 and 5 are my favorite games period, no contest.

Trails

Last year I played through all of the games up to Cold Steel 3, CS3 and Ao are now my favorite JRPGs after the Persona games, and I also care a lot about the franchise as a whole.

After that it becomes much more difficult to say, but if I had to say three more.

Zero Escape

I rarely think about these games recently, but man aside from some utterly bizarre plot developments in ZTD, I love what this series does and how it handles it's storytelling, for sure some of the most interesting game stories I've played.

Valkyria Chronicles

Only played 1 and 4, but man do I love those games, I can see the complaints people have with them, but I personally find them extremely enjoyable despite them, it's likely this franchise is dead, but well we at least got 4.

Witcher

It's either this or Mario, but I feel like Mario is cheating because that counts the 2D and 3D platformers, which I haven't liked all of them (looking at you Odyssey) plus the RPGs, so with Witcher 3 being one of my absolute favorites, and 2 and 1 also being incredibly solid, I think it is fair to give Geralt this place.

• Might as well pop in.

Ratchet and clank-
    Likely my favorite franchise at least when it comes to the mainline games 2(the best) ,3 and a crack in time are all easily a 9/10 or higher for me, and they beat out the other competitors of the time. aka Jak and sly

Dark souls-(or soulsBourne if that counts)
    Would be my top if not for DS2 but jumped in with a Chinese import of demons souls and never looked back.

God of War-
    Loved the original trilogy(and it irks me a little how people seems to put them down now) and the new game is obviously amazing as well(honestly both 2 and 2018 are likely in my top 10) , and it's not as if ascension is even bad or anything either.

The elder scrolls.
    I'm a fantasy nerd I love this series and they are by no means perfect but they offer something that few other games come close too(wish I could include fallout 3 as my personal fave Bethesda rpg).

This is tough but I think I might have to go.

GRAND THEFT AUTO.
    Pretty obvious pick but in particular San Andrea's I adore and loved most of the others.

TEKKEN, MGS and FINAL FANTASY deserves a mention as well, frankly have not played as many of them as I would like.