Summer Game Fest

• Epic Games Store exclusive? Pass.

• @bard91 Finally, some good news this year.

• You guys were talking about skate games lately, I hope you are happy about this announcement. I am indifferent, thought it's going to be Mafia 2 Remastered but wasn't expecting anything big thanks to Keighley's clear comment, that's how it's done Microsoft.

Edit: Here's the gameplay

Youtube Video

• @hanabi For me, THPS has always been a console game, so I imagine I'll just buy it on console, but yeah that sucks as always for people who wanted it on PC. Also, no Switch version is sad when I grew up with these on N64, but I totally understand when the aim of these is really nice 4k graphics, and the Switch, it just can't do that.

• Banned

Are people still angry at Epic Game Store for this kinda stuff?
    I could understand when it was a game that was previously announced for Steam, but this is an EGS exclusive out of the gate so there isn't any secret betrayal or anything.
    I guess I just don't understand why people prefer one form of DRM over another.

• @el-shmiablo Gee, I wonder why people are upset they have to arbitrarily wait longer to buy their anticipated game on their preferred platform.

• Banned

@mbun Why do people have to wait to buy the game on PC? Is it a console exclusive?

• I feel ya. Dragging the mouse cursor from Steam all the way to the EGS icon is a real struggle. It ain't easy being a PC gamer.

• @mbun said in Summer Game Fest:

Also, no Switch version is sad when I grew up with these on N64, but I totally understand when the aim of these is really nice 4k graphics, and the Switch, it just can't do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Switch version came out 6 months or so after the rest though, that's what happened with Crash and Spyro. Might be worth waiting if that's the platform you'd prefer to have it on.

• This conversation's been had a thousand times on here and elsewhere, and if you write off criticism of EGS as just being "waah I don't want to use another launcher" you're being disingenuous at best.

• I can understand the people who want to have all the games on their favourite library together but it's not a big deal as people make it out to be. It's still on PC.

• Banned

@hanabi I'm aware that the conversation has been had and the arguments that have been raised.
    I've just never found any of the arguments to be very compelling.
    Usually I see it boil down to brand loyalty towards Steam, especially now that things like GoG Galaxy 2.0 exist and you can have all your games across all launchers organized into a single interface.

• So, it seems like Geoff and other Twitter users (who I assume are staff for Summer Games Fest) are doing some preemptive damage control for the showcase today. Feels like they're trying to backtrack the hype levels for today's stream.

I don't really understand how you can say that a stream should not be missed and is one of the most important events of your schedule, and then start saying that "It's not THAT big" 12 hours later.

I just find it really funny how quick some are to dogpile Microsoft and Ubisoft, but that Geoff Keighley deserves this wilful ignorance, saying that people are "hyping themselves up" and that there was no messaging that should have set your expectations so high.

Tony Hawk End Card

There are rumours that it's going to be a reveal for

Unreal Engine 5

and I think that would be pretty cool for me personally, but it's not the sort of thing that the consumer base in general thinks of when they see the words "Not to be missed" and "Most important". People are expecting a game reveal from a respected studio.

• He did good about managing expectations with yesterday's announcement.

• Banned

I think people are expecting something like a PS5 reveal when it's just going to be the 18 minutes of Tsushima gameplay.

• @axel I kind of think the appeal of this remake is largely the graphical leap, so I probably wouldn't want the watered down version, least not as my first copy, but think it'd be great as an option and to have it on the go. THPS would be a pretty fun evergreen pick up and play game.

• @el-shmiablo said in Summer Game Fest:

when it's just going to be the 18 minutes of Tsushima gameplay.

Well, I mean... we already know it's NOT the Tsushima gameplay. It could literally be anything else.

• So it was Unreal Engine 5. No idea how that got leaked.

Cool. Excited to get hold of the engine. Disappointed there's nothing else.

• Fortnite

• UE5 looks solid, that was a pretty small scale demo but still impressive regardless. I'm intrigued to see how it translates to XGS productions as a ton of them use Unreal. The way they can share technologies should hopefully lead to some pretty exciting games.

Also, I'm glad that interview finally allowed me to hear about Fortnite. Had been very under the radar before...