Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS4/Xbox One/PC)

• What great news. I'm pretty hyped for this, and I'm super curious if they're going add other skaters to that roster.

• @inflorescence
    Where can I buy this documentary?

• @el-shmiablo
    You sure you want to be betrayed at the Tampa AM in 4k?

• @dmcmaster I don't know if this is a pun or joke, and I know the question is not for me, but yes, I do absolutely want that, I'll gladly play a full $60 for that.

• I love what you're saying @DMCMaster about continually adding to this game post-launch but I'm with @El-Shmiablo - I NEED the full T.H.U.G experience.

I need to HATE Eric Sparrow for stealing my footage of doing a McTwist off a hotel and over a helicopter onto a quarter pipe 300ft below, and likely also hiring a Hollywood VFX artist and paying them a small fortune to make it look legit, in glorious 4K, 60fps.

• @dipset
    Honestly keep it as a crappy cover, like Eric sloppily put a picture of himself doing the trick.

• @bard91
    The Tampa AM was the start of Eric's betrayal. Although nothing good has ever come out of Tampa

• Woooow check this out! Jack Black’s channel has a new video out about the game. So cool to see the game, but even cooler to see all of these legends at The Berrics all at the same time. Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen, Steve Cabellero, Kareem Campbell, Eric Koston, Elissa Steamer, then Jack Back, Riley Hawk. GOOD VIBES!

Youtube Video

• Guys I don’t even know what to say. I’m so happy right now. Dreams do come true. The right studio is making this. It looks great. There is clear ambition to make more of them.

I’m so happy. I’ve talked about Tony Hawk so much on these forums and I’m so happy it’s finally happening the right way.

• @dipset Glad to see someone's having a good day as well. This announcement came at the perfect time for me, I'm gonna be so energized for a while.

• @dipset I'm right there with you. When I watched the announcement, it's like my heart, it started beating again.

• Been going through a Goldfinger kick after popped up in my news feed a couple weeks ago with their quarantine material. This feels good.

• @inflorescence said in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS4/Xbox One/PC):

Do you think it's a coincidence that this announcement happened shortly after the documentary about the THPS series was released?

If it has been released outside of its premiere theater screening, then the creators have some explaining to do, because I backed it and am supposed to get email updates when anything happens (for example, I was updated when that trailer came out).

As for the game...it might be good. The soundtrack is the first thing to get right. The really big tracks were all announced, but there are still some critical ones up in the air (New Girl and Cyco Vision are musts, and I think a ton of people will be upset if Cyclone doesn't get in - I would also personally miss Out With The Old and Committed). Also, if they choose to add new tracks, they'd better include playlist control...

Then the mechanics/physics/controls/camera angles. What I'm seeing looks good - THPS 3-like. But they have to NAIL these. And exactly what mechanics from 4-onwards are they using? Wallplant was mentioned, which should be all right, but a big problem with the later games was feature/gimmick bloat. The only later addition I miss in 3 is the "COMBO" goal.

The visuals, sound effects, and HUD aren't as key, but they can still mar the experience. This is the area that looks iffy at the moment. What sticks out the worst for me is a disconnect between the smooth, slow, modern animations and the old snappy, arcadey gameplay - it doesn't look how it plays.

The text size is also on the small side, and they have GOT to fix the special trick sound effect being used for double-tap tricks (correct sound effect here).

The graphics are generally all right, but they're laying it on thick with the lighting/atmosphere. This could turn out to be more than a little distracting...

• For some reason I have a strong desire to get THUG Pro up and running

• Really happy about this. Clearly they were going for really nice graphics and stuff, but I hope down the line they can make a slightly less pretty version for Switch for everyone who grew up with THPS on N64, maybe around the time it finally escapes The Epic Game Store's Walled Garden and makes it to Steam. Crossing my fingers nothing else goes wrong with this one. We should have a clear idea after people play the demo. Hope this can spark a whole revival for this series done right.

• I'm absolutely not into this series or this genre, but everything I saw and heard in this announcement seemed to hit the right notes, looks like exactly what the fans could hope for, so it made me happy anyway! Looking forward to some EZA streams at the very least, and maybe a Don Design Lab for the park creator.

• @mbun said in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS4/Xbox One/PC):

Hope this can spark a whole revival for this series done right.

Hell, if this goes really well then Skateboarding games might be back on the popular side in the future. It might be the one thing that pushes EA to make Skate games again, just to have a rival to Activision's offering. That's probably taking it a bit too far though, lol.

• @bam541
    Hell if this does well hopefully the other "Xtreme" style games will see a resurgence. More SSX, Skate, Burnout, Smashing Drive, Crazy Taxi, and so on will spring back to life.

• @dmcmaster Oh boy
    alt text

• @dipset said in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (PS4/Xbox One/PC):

but I find it funny that they keep focusing in on 1&2 when the others are so much better. Maybe its because the PS2 games all hold up fine today whereas THPS1 & 2 are pretty dated?

THPS 1 & 2 were the peak of the series popularity. 2 is the second best ranked game of all time on Metacritic with a 98, with Ocarina of time being the 1st.