Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!

• PS1 is honestly such an amazing console its unbelievable. I have a hard time returning to my N64 (which I MAY have enjoyed more as a child) because of bad controls and somewhat dated mechanics. Some PS1 games I've played for the first time within the last 5 years and they feel as fresh as can be.

From this list, I still have yet to play a few standout classics like: Xenogears, Silent Hill, and Suikoden II. Yet, I still can remember playing many of these games and how much variety the console had.

• THPS 2
    • Spyro 2
    • MGS
    • FF7

That's who I'm rooting for.

• Man, PS1 was such a great console. I feel like I never really put a dent into the library despite it being a console I owned when I was a kid. I'm happy to say I've played about half of the games on the list.

For reference: amount of N64 games on my ''still need to play' list: 8.

Amount of PS1 games on the same list: 104.

• It's definitely a decent list. Nice to see I own and have beaten 23 out of the 25. I'm just not interested in Rival Schools or Tony Hawks though.

• @Sheria Play Tony Hawk dammit. One of the best games ever made!

• @GoTaco said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

@Sheria Play Tony Hawk dammit. One of the best games ever made!

Hehe. I did play the demo of the original Pro Skater, but thing is, I was actually a skater back then ^^

I don't know, I just can't see myself putting my limited time into that now when I have so much on my platte. I can't deny what I played was good though.

• So I think playing Kill your Babies would be fun with this list. Basically we get to kill as many as we added.

I say it will be fun, but I have a bad feeling Arc the Lad 2 will be the first to go and that makes me sad.

• @Brannox We should but the full list of 25 at the top of this post now.

• I think it's a pretty great list ^^
    I do think Crash 2 and CTR are btter than 1 and 3 and Spyro 2 is my least favorite in the trilogy.

I'm going to mention which games I've beaten from the list:

Final Fantasy VII (beaten)
    Revelations: Persona (beaten)
    Metal Gear Solid (beaten)
    Policenauts (beaten)
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (beaten)
    Final Fantasy IX (beaten)
    Medal of Honor (beaten)
    Spyro 2 Riptos Rage (beaten)
    Arc the Lad 2 (never played)
    Xenogears (never played)
    Gran Turismo 2 (played)
    Silent Hill (beaten)
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (played)
    Kula World (beaten)
    Crash Bandicoot (beaten)
    The Legend of Dragoon (played)
    Rival Schools: United By Fate (played)
    Parasite Eve (never played)
    Suikoden II (never played)
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (beaten)
    T.R.A.G. (aka Hard Edge) (never played)
    Tomb Raider (beaten)
    Resident Evil 2 (beaten)
    Tekken 3 (unlocked everything)
    WipEout 2097 (never played)

• @NeoCweeny said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

Xenogears (never played)

OMG =O

• @Sheria said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

@NeoCweeny said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

Xenogears (never played)

OMG =O

Can't play everything =/

• Wow to the enthusiasm! A note before I move on: If you are disappointed about some games being on here than others, state your case why it should be left off with just as strong of a case for a replacement. As I tried to emphasize in the introduction: Make it GOOD! If you prefer one over the other, really get into why so the community at large can take it into account. Simply saying you like one over the other, or that one is the best and leave it that really is not compelling

An example: Personally, I love the first Spyro just a tiny bit more than the others because even though fundamental mechanics (hovering and swimming) didn't appear until 2, I found the worlds to be more succinct in their design and presentation. Also, I find rescuing dragons far more compelling than gathering talismans. Am I sad its not here? Sure, but that doesn't take away Spyro 2 being a wonderful game and I'm stoked to see it here.

Notice that this is a subjective view and why I wanted to hold off adding anything from myself initially because I was hoping there would be a great many of you to come. I noticed there have been more posts in a three hour span than over the course of three days, which I find puzzling. My only response is that to try and stay on the lookout for the next Selective Creation post (which will have tweaked rules to improve how the game is played).

BUT FIRST! Get those suggestions ready! What game should go? What it should be replaced with? I'm REALLY excited to see what you all have in mind! To try and give everyone a fair shake, I will institute a 24 hour clock starting now, 4:30 EST, 1:30 PST. At that point, I will see which game has been voted off and what game's case has been made the best.

Once that has been decided, I will transfer it into a new Kill Your Babies! thread. I would like to thank everyone who gave games and had/having great discussions here!

For the benefit of a new player and all of you returning, here is the list:

Final Fantasy VII
    Revelations: Persona
    Metal Gear Solid
    Policenauts
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Final Fantasy IX
    Medal of Honor
    Spyro 2 Riptos Rage
    Arc the Lad 2
    Xenogears
    Gran Turismo 2
    Silent Hill
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
    Kula World
    Crash Bandicoot
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Rival Schools: United By Fate
    Parasite Eve
    Suikoden II
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    T.R.A.G. (aka Hard Edge)
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil 2
    Tekken 3
    WipEout 2097

• @NeoCweeny said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

@Sheria said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

@NeoCweeny said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

Xenogears (never played)

OMG =O

Can't play everything =/

I actually have those three on a US PSN account. If you would like them (and oh my god you should like them) I would be more than happy to let you download them.

• If Arc the Lad 2 goes, I RIOT :P

• I vote we replace T.R.A.G. which, probably most people have not played, and it'll likely be removed quite quickly in the KYB section.
    I would replace it with something slightly harder to kill, like Wild Arms or Valkyrie Profile.

• @TokyoSlim I would disagree with removing it. It was someone's choice, and it would be unfair to remove it. If it's first to go, so be it.

• Oh man.. I've just spotted this list. I'm going to need to get writing later but there are a few games I'd like to see on the list like

Dino Crisis
    Syphon Filter
    Ape Escape
    Parappa the Rapper

I'll have to think over which one I really want in and what to replace it with.

• I would argue that only people who haven't added any games should be allowed to replace one, and only be able to replace a game that was the second choice of someone. For example I added Xenogears and then Parasite Eve when the thread was getting stagnant, so only my second game (Parasite Eve) should be replaced.

I'd hate to see people's first choice being kicked off because others don't like it. That seems to go against the spirit of the game.

• @Inustar First, Thank you very much for your feedback! It will allow me to help this game go smoother in the future! Second, I was concerned about people adding many games and people not getting a shot, which is where my 24 hour rule before the next addition came in. However, I noticed that even then, not many additions were taking place and the uptick in posts occurred once the list was completed.

I DO like your idea of allowing someone who hasn't added one before the list having a fair chance at it, but I'm not sure that 1.) I could determine that unless they say that they were new and 2.) If such few people should be determining what should say or go because I wanted EVERYONE'S input, regardless of the amount of games they added and thus the switch is by everybody.

To your point about striking a second added game, unless people wish to comb through the thread and figure out who put what, I don't necessarily see that as viable. However, on the subject of people not liking it, thus it should be replaced, THAT is the sole purpose of why I STRESSED that people NEEDED to give a real good reason as to WHY they were adding their entries in the first place. For an example, please reference when I posted about adding Tomb Raider. That was my THIRD add (I only wanted to do ONE but stagnation continued to force me to keep it relevant) and I feel that I made the case of its importance really well.

THIS is what I would like to see. If the community says, and I'm ONLY picking this as an example, Policenauts should go, simply saying "Because I tried it and it sucked or wasn't fun" isn't good enough. People need to give a thoughtful critique and once posted, allow for the community as a whole say "Yes, you have a fair point." or "No, the majority seem to really enjoy it and your critiques, while valued, are outweighed by everyone else's evidence," (Wow. Say those last three words three times five times).

As it stands right now, T.R.A.G. is the only game up for consideration to be replaced because has been the only one nominated. If anyone wishes to nominate another for replacement and gives a more compelling reason, then T.R.A.G. is safe (until Kill Your Babies!).

Once again, Thank you very much for your input. I super happy that you wanted to see this as thorough and fair as I wanted it to be! I hope this helped to clarify things and if there is something still unclear or you have additional feedback/questions, please post again! :-D

I think it's a pretty great list ^^
    I do think Crash 2 and CTR are btter than 1 and 3 and Spyro 2 is my least favorite in the trilogy.

I agree, Crash 2 and CTR are shoo-ins to replace 1 and 3.

1 is easily the weakest in the series and 3 isn't as polished as 2.

• If I had played Parappa the Rapper I would put that forward because of how iconic it is. Unfortunately I only played a demo worth so I can't comment on the quality of the full game.

However I will nominate both Ape Escape and Syphon Filter to replace Crash Bandicoot and T.R.A.G

I'm saying T.R.A.G because I know nothing about it and it was already nominated :P

I've nominated to remove Crash because Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped is there too and is a much better game. I don't really see the need to have 2 games from the same series on the list.

Ape Escape was a genuinely fun and inventive game at the time. I remember having an absolute blast trying to catch every ape and I loved the different variations and upgrades you got. Also wasn't it one of the first games that required the analog sticks?

Syphon Filter 2. I was trying to think which one I could remember most and I always remember that opening mission, parachuting in on a snowy mountain. I've fond memories of the series and I'd love nothing more than to see Logan return on PS4.