Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!

• Global Moderator

@tokeeffe9 I second Ape Escape! one of my fav PS1 games.

• @tokeeffe9 There are two reasons why I wanted to have a one game with one replacement possibility: 1.) If we open it up beyond just one, it would in small part nullify the purpose of "Kill Your Babies!." Even this deliberation does that to some degree, but I wanted to give people an opportunity to offer a rebuttal as to why a particular game shouldn't even be considered.

On the subject of Crash Bandicoot specifically, I was surprised that the first game was nominated as opposed to 2, 3, and CTR. But it was nominated and unless an outstanding case for its elimination is made, AND more people vote to replace it, it will have to stay.

On your vote specifically for T.R.A.G, to nominate it simply because you played it is kind of why the Two-per-Franchise rule exists. You express that you don't see the need for 2 of the same franchise. This is part of 1.) Trying to make this list diverse (So games like T.R.A.G, Kula World, and Rival Schools: United by Fate, games I've never heard of are necessary, because this in part opens up possibilities pique interest for others) and 2.) There are many franchises that have multiple great games and I did not want this to be a list with over half being 5 or 6 franchises.

Please imagine a (albeit highly unlikely) scenario of this list being: 4 Final Fantasies, 4 Crash Bandicoots, 3 Spyros, 3 Syphon Filters, 2 Resident Evils, and 2 Gran Turismos. Thats 18 of the 25. Pair that down, you have 12 and even further when the factor of everybody's favorite comes into play so, as is the case for this list, you see the likes of Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and Silent Hill, iconic franchises that deserve a spot, not have to contend with other Spyros, Crashes, and Final Fantasies.

By instituting a two instead of one, those who did not see their favorite in a series have an opportunity to still get their's in. Final Fantasy is another great example. VII was the very first entry and a little while later, IX became the lockup. For those who love Tactics, if they wanted Tactics on the list, they would then have to make the case why it deserves to be here over VII or IX and vice versa for either of those if they were the outside-looking-in game.

For your suggestions on Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 2, YES, that's what I'm talking about. Giving a reason that consists of a solid critique. Thank you!

SO: Keeping with the initial rules, please select one game to replace (judging by your post, Crash 1 or T.R.A.G) with a solid reason and of Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 2, which you think deserves the edge over the other and why.

Finally, much like I said to Inustar, thank you very much for your feedback and critiques on this little game! It will be used to help shape some ideas I have for the future of the game!

• Well the 24 hours are up and I have seen the posts since the list was completed. So looking at the thread, it appears T.R.A.G. will be replaced with Ape Escape! Your FINAL 25 Playstation One games that will ever exist ARE:

Final Fantasy VII
    Revelations: Persona
    Metal Gear Solid
    Policenauts
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Final Fantasy IX
    Medal of Honor
    Spyro 2 Riptos Rage
    Arc the Lad 2
    Xenogears
    Gran Turismo 2
    Silent Hill
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
    Kula World
    Crash Bandicoot
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Rival Schools: United By Fate
    Parasite Eve
    Suikoden II
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    Ape Escape
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil 2
    Tekken 3
    WipEout 2097

A MASSIVE Thank you to everyone who participated in building, critiquing and suggesting for this list. Take a GOOD look at it, because now, the community will start to have the bloodlust....

• @Inustar said in Selective Creation: Create the 25 Essential Playstation One List!:

@TokyoSlim I would disagree with removing it. It was someone's choice, and it would be unfair to remove it. If it's first to go, so be it.

I didn't vote to remove it based on who nominated it, I just didn't think it belongs. I mean, the point of this list is that this is the only 25 games the ps1 ever had. Even when he proposed the game, he didn't really sell it, aside from making it sound like a knock off of another game done so poorly it may be amusing. Nominating potential cuts is part of the game!

I did check to see if it was the nominees first game, btw. It wasn't. :)

• If none of you have played Rival Schools, you're missing out on one of the best fighting games on the ps1. :)

I just wanted to put that out there.

• Also, I'm currently receiving karma, as the first two kills are my nominations. :)
    I ain't mad, that's the game!

• Cool, thanks for including it.

I do genuinely have fond memories of the Syphon Filter series though. Just want it to have it's little moment in the spotlight in this post at least.

Farewell Gabe Logan! o7

• Damn i missed this wud of added either MediEvil, Heart of Darkness, Tombi, Rayman or Skullmonkeys any of those wud easy make the list oh well :P PS1 had such great Platform games