Best/Worst Remakes and Remasters

• @scotty said in Best/Worst Remakes and Remasters:

I'll start with one of the obvious ones:

One of the best remakes: Resident Evil 2

I concur with this. I feel like Resident Evil 2 has become a gold standard for remakes.

The Secret of Mana remake was disappointing, especially considering that the game was re-released quite a few times.

• Don't forget about Bluepoint's Shadow of the Colossus remake/remaster/whatever. It's so gorgeous and since they didn't mess with the gameplay too much, it's still a great game after all. I kinda want to reinstall it just to take some pictures.

• The worst by far is the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD Remaster from 2010 or 2011.

That game sucked. It looked BAD, and it played WORSE. They didn’t have any of the future series improvements, they kept the dated controls that all changed in future games, and it was overall a broken buggy mess.

I feel like this has to be the worst remaster I can think of. It’s just broken and clearly had no budget.

—-
    The best that I’ve played is Shadow of the Colossus on PS4. I played 50% of SOTC HD on PS3 which is good in its own right, but SOTC PS4 Pro can bring a tear to my eye it looks so good. I’m glad this is the version that I finished SOTC for the first time on.

Hottake - TLG is better and less infuriating. @ me.

—-

Haven’t played it but just to be different I hear the Skyblivion mod for Skyrim is very good. I haven’t tried it but I really want to do it.

• While 3DS is sort of "last gen", I found the Majora's Mask 3DS remake to be disappointing. Almost all the changes were unwelcome (albeit individually minor). There's a popular youtube video by some dude named Nerrel who goes on a serious rant about all this, and I find myself agreeing with all of it.

video title: Was Majora's Mask 3D a Bad Remake? (N64 comparison and review)
    Youtube Video

On a separate matter, something that I think goes completely unacknowledged is how speeding up the "slowed down" day/night cycle by 67% (and, dare I say it, allowing instant time travel to any hour of the day?) changes the experience of Majora's Mask for the worse. The effect is that it is way beyond impossible to finish one area in one cycle. And even getting to the dungeon in one cycle often requires skipping things if you are even somewhat unprepared.

First of all, this all feels very annoying, and makes you want to rush, and it makes you not want to play around with masks and items that are fun to exploit against certain enemies/situations but aren't strictly necessary either.

The main problem though is that is much harder to squeeze in miscellaneous tasks in between events. You'll often find yourself just missing those timing windows because of the speedup, and scrapping your plans to accomplish two things in one trip. I mean, the game was literally designed in terms of movespeed and spatial distances with the original duration of each day, it just doesn't feel right in the new system. Eventually you just stop trying to play that way.

This is a big change, because part of the satisfaction of Majora's Mask is the whole psychology of "on the spot scheduling" in order to fit in secondary goals which you know you will be on the way.

This feeds into the hour skipping change -- as convenient as that change is! Being able to jump to any time strongly encourages not trying to play the game "efficiently". Don't speedrun. Don't multitask. This convenience feature is a huge disincentive against using your brain to give yourself those smart plans that gets multiple productive tasks done during one cycle. You might as well do a clean start restart for any big tasks (mini-dungeons, NPC quests that occur over 2 separate days/nights, etc.) I'm willing to claim that's a net negative, because it is so much better to let the player feel clever instead of letting them act out the most obvious, straightfoward, and menial solution.

• The biggest problem with the 3DS Zelda remasters are the visuals. Everything was brightened up and the saturation boosted, destroying the subtle lighting and atmosphere. There's no way Nintendo considers these releases the definitive way to play them or even an improvement except in a purely technical sense. It's obvious these visual changes were made only to increase playability on a very small screen.

• For me the gold standard of Remakes continues to be Pokemon Soul Silver and Heart Gold. Incredible games in their own right that amplify everything that was great about Gen 2 while simultaneously revamping the game for more modern audiences. Easily my favourite Pokemon games.

Shout out to the Spyro Reignited Trilogy in terms of pure technical prowess. Most of the original source code, assets, are lost for those 3 games. Toys for Bob started development by building their own custom PS1 emulator (probably extended from an existing project) and then playing all the games a bunch and and recording all the data. They then modelled the physics engine after that data, to make sure that Spyro jumps exactly as high, glides exactly as far and runs exactly as fast as he did in the originals. They called the tool that they made the Spyroscope.

Then there's the fact that they had to grab what they could of the original soundtrack masters as well as remastering the soundtrack. Getting every all the assets together. Figuring exactly where all the collectibles were, including gems, in the original game so that they could be put in the same place in the remade levels!

When you compare this to something like the upcoming Tony Hawk 1 and 2, where the devs admit that they had a lot of the old Neversoft code handed to them, in terms of technical achievement, Spyro Reignited Trilogy is by far one of, if not the best Remake ever made.

• @dipset The THPS Remaster was actually released in July of 2012.

• @hazz3r I agree HG / SS were great, but the one place I think they dropped the ball was the music.

• @oscillator
    I think the brighter look fits well with OOT3D, but for MM3D it certainly detracts from the visual atmosphere that MM created.

That said I do hope the we see a Switch version of OOT/MM3D and they use it as a chance to retool MM back to feeling/ looking more like the original.

• I recall the Turok 2: Seeds of Evil remaster being another disappointment for pairing technical improvements with undesired changes. The sheer number of modifications to remove rough edges and make completion straightforward feels like the developers were paranoid. The maps in Turok 2 are huge and you were meant to remember to fully explore places before you move on completely. When non-linearity and mission objectives intersect, a player might be playing a while before realizing they missed something earlier in the level. Everyone experiences this when they are new... becoming more attentive and learning the maps is a normal part of mastering the game. In the remastered version, every level (except one, I think) was modified and mission critical side branches have been relocated onto the paths of forward progress into the level. In addition to screwing up the level layout for returning players, it asks less of the player to complete. You can now pretend the map is a long tunnel (where there would be little need to retain old locations in your memory) and you won't get lost or miss much. Key items are also placed in more obvious/prominent places, for no real reason.

There are also several changes aimed at directly making the core gameplay -- the combat -- easier. Several weapons are more lethal, there's more health and ammo to be found in many sections, many enemies feel like they have less health and are less threatening, and some have armor plating that is less resistant. It's also really weird that these incremental changes are paired with a giant increase in "full restocks" at checkpoints. Originally, there was 1 full ammo restock and 1 full health restock shared across all save points & checkpoints in a level, mostly for emergencies and the resource taxing Oblivion Portals. In the remaster, each checkpoint has its own supply of restocks, and you can now warp between all save points instantly. That just feels like way too many free resources (several times as many as before!). And separately they are way too immediately accessible by player. Like, you can be deep into level 5 and all those extra restocks you never needed in level 1 are no more "distant" than the ones within the level. Using one of your now dozens of restocks is more convenient than organically acquiring the small bits of health and ammo pickups that were meant to keep you going.

I also don't know why a remaster that was primarily about technical improvements (these gameplay changes mostly weren't advertised or picked up by reviewers) removed small but useful technical features from the original. There is no longer an auto-aim option in the control menu, and there are no longer individual bindable hotkeys for each weapon (keep in mind Turok 2 has something like 23 weapons).

On the positive side, the fan game AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake is fantastic. It approaches remaking Metroid 2 with a similiar "modernize & reinvent the familiar" mindset that Zero Mission did, while not feeling like a romhack of either game. It's as good as any official Nintendo game or any commercial indie game. It's probably even better than a Nintendo game, because there are some design risks and ambitious ideas -- all pulled off successfully -- that I don't think Nintendo would do without dumbing them down or even attempt in the first place. The difficulty and challenge is also completely on point. Playing on hard is unlocked from the start and is a perfectly reasonable way to start playing (even if you've only ever played Super or something), offering more than just damage scaling. Having a well balanced difficulty mode is not really what you would expect from fan projects, which can create "romhack-y" fears about their difficulty, nor what you expect from official Nintendo games, where hard modes are usually unlockable only and feel like they overcompensate (too much damage scaling poured onto a base of relatively less threatening twitch challenges.)

• The fact that the Wonderful 101 has even gotten a remaster is pretty amazing in itself imo.

• I just finished Chapter 9 in FF7 Remake and I was just smiling the whole time. They took one of my favourite parts of the original game and made it that much better. FF7 Remake is more like a reimagining and I love it so much for it going its own way in some areas.

Fyi, I'm staying clear of that thread for spoiler reasons.

• @mbun

Looks great. ''Remastered''s have to have this much improvement. Don't just stick a 60 FPS, 4K and a little bit better lighting; make it count.

I didn't play it myself but remasters of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were looking bad. I checked the pictures of comparisons and I prefer the originals. Just one from google pictures:

0_1590358953964_batarkj-noscale.jpg

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a good remaster even tough after remaster collection it annoys me Nate looks like somebody else in second game after first game's Nate looks like third game's Nate right now(which they went with and improved for fourth game).

• @Scotty
    Yeah the Arkham remasters are one hell of a mixed bag. I do like that Color's pop out a bit more in some areas (especially in Asylum) but in other areas it looks like a badly colorized version of a black & white movie.

• @yoshi Shame about that Switch port tho.
    0_1590410770582_1590400903909.jpg

• How the hell did that happen?

• @el-shmiablo So buy the PC version if you're that concerned about it mr cherrypicker

• He can't but anything, he just spent all his money on a security flamethrower for his car.

• Looks like Saints Row 3 Remaster is somehow one of the best ever

We're Not Kidding - Saints Row The Third Remastered Is An Exceptional Effort
    Youtube Video