Videogame Hidden Gems

• There are so many games that come and go with many that don't get the attention they should and some may even be forgotten about completely after release. Some of my favourite hidden gems include A Plague Tale: Innocence, Driver: San Francisco, The Saboteur, Max Payne 3, 007:Blood Stone, Resistance 3, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, MadWorld and Zack and Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure.

• Haunting Starring Poulterguy (Genesis/Mega Drive)
    Fusion Fenzy (Xbox)
    Will return later

• I just thought for a quick minutes of the games I've played recently and I have to say Ao no Kiseki or Trails of Azure.

For one of the best JRPGs ever, to be the fifth chronological game in a still pretty niche series, and that was only released in Japanese and Chinese, it is simply sad that this fantastic game won't be enjoyed by more given the huge barrier to entry.

The final chapter.... it was basically a whole game worth of content that was investing and had one big revelation after another and rapped up things in a great and logical way for the story.

i wuld say pretty much the same for Cold Steel 3 but that one is at least out in english.

• I liked 007: Bloodstone back when it came out and I had no expectations and was actually surprised.

Popped it into the PS3 a few months ago and I can not recommend it to anybody. The shooting and stealth is just waaaaay too boring and the lighting is awful.

That said, I love the driving sequences and there is a night time scene in Monaco or something where you get to walk around a mansion in a tux and if the rest of the game was that slick we’d have something special.

I feel like that scene in Italy in Uncharted 4 quenched my thirst for some bourgeois black tie espionage but there was definitely something good going on with Bloodstone that they should tap into again.

Just copy Uncharted but make it about 007.

• I already talked about Free Running a quite a bit in this forum, so now I'll just show you a video!

Youtube Video

Also, Call of Juarez Gunslinger is super underrated, and it's one of the best shooters on the Switch right now.

• @dipset
    Honestly I'd kill for some more Bond games, I absolutely loved Everything or Nothing, From Russia with Love and Bloodstone.
    With 2 of them telling thier own self contained stories and one briefly getting Sean Connery out of retirement for a adaptation of one of my favorite Bond films. I feel that they at the very least came close to capturing the whole of Bond.

And hell now adays with the gaps between movies it would be a great way to keep the franchise relevant, like imagine getting a new 007 using Brosnan, Connery, Dalton or Moore (RIP). While the next film after No Time to Die is in a contemporary setting we could get games using the other Bonds to tell stories in other eras, or hell find someone to be the "Digtal" Bond that's separate from whoever lands the role next (I have a feeling its Henry Cavill or Taron Egerton)

• I played through the Saboteur this year. It doesn't hold up.

First, all the Disney games on PS1, like A Bugs Life, Hercules Character Action Game, Tarzan, 102 Dalmations Puppies to the Rescue, Walt Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour, Toy Story 2 Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue. All really fun games.

Bugs Bunny Lost in Time and Bugs and Taz Time Buster are also solid licensed games.

Also, I was just reminded of it today when watching a video from The Completionist. He calls out Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure as a knock-off Tony Hawk. That game is published by activision, developed by Toys for Bob and uses the Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 engine. It's basically a Tony Hawk game with a Disney skin, and it's really damn fun. One of my most confident, I would put money on people enjoying that game, hidden gems for sure.

Does anyone else find it weird that there's a correlation between licensed games and hidden gems? As said above, some of the James Bond games (I have a special love for Nightfire) are incredible. I have From Russia with Love waiting for me to play it on my shelf.

• @hazz3r I don't find it weird. Earlier in gaming history, it wasn't uncommon for licensed games to be great because they were generally developed by competent development houses like Capcom, Acclaim, Konami, etc... but for a long period, mostly during the PS2 and PS3 era, it was not uncommong for licensed games to be low effort cash grab tie-ins with popular movie franchises that had limited development time because they needed to be release to coincide with other media releases.

• @el-shmiablo
    I mean alot of licensed games kinda fill that "A", "AA" or "B" grade games. Something I'm kinda glad to see the newly risen THQ fill the void on (oddly by rereleasing the THQ games that filled that role originally)

• Syndicate (2012), Shadow Warrior (2013), and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. These are sadly almost never talked about or remembered.

Seconding the mention of 007: Nightfire. Probably my favorite hidden gem of all.

• I played Blood Stone 1 year ago and it was terrible, didn't get any fun from it.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a hidden gem. Both the story and gameplay were neat. Playing as Venom was so much fun. Also everytime I see Peter uses his powers without costume, I get happy. If you read USM back in the days, you will like it even more. Original USM is great comic series btw, check it out if you are interested in comics.

• Got to drop 2 ancient games for those who want to dive into early 90's PC gaming. Yes all 0 of you!

Covert Action (1990)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Covert_Action

In Covert Action you take the role of a CIA agent and you travel the world doing spy stuff. I can not overstate how satisfying it is conducting an investigation, getting new clues and building and cracking a case. You decode messages, wiretap phones, infiltrate installations, follow suspects cars, etc. Best spy game ever made, and I would kill for a fateful remake.

KGB (1992)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KGB_(video_game)

Another fantastic spy game. This one an adventure game. I'll just copy paste from Wikipedia the plot "The game is set in the summer of 1991.The protagonist, Captain Maksim Mikahilovich Rukov, recently transferred to the Department P from the GRU after three years' duty, is ordered to investigate possible corruption inside the KGB after a former agent turned private eye was found murdered. However, as the plot progresses, Rukov finds himself investigating a political plot of dangerous proportions.". It was a good game back then, but nowadays it also benefits from the historical context.

• @chocobop I found Mirror's Edge: Catalyst boring to be honest which sucks because the 2008 game was really cool.

• @chocobop I found Mirror's Edge: Catalyst boring to be honest which sucks because the 2008 game was really cool.

Yeah, it must be said that that's a common take for ME:C. Funnily enough, I was going to word my comment "These are sadly almost never talked about or fondly remembered." with that specifically in mind.

• I'd love a reboot of ME as TPS action-adventure game. Faith's look is really iconic, with new combat mechanics similar to Arkham, Mordor, Mad Max, Spidey, improved parkour(obviously) and a good story; it can reborn. Make it a half-open world with 15-20 hours adventure and we are good to go. Please don't make it white as before though; keep the base but don't overuse. It looks so soulless and boring.

• @scotty said in Videogame Hidden Gems:

Please don't make it white as before though; keep the base but don't overuse. It looks so soulless and boring.

That was literally the point.

• @el-shmiablo

I know. This time I want them to keep it minimum to still have there but go different with the world.

• I respect the work that went into Catalyst. I watched a GDC talk with the art director. It’s just that the gameplay was following the wrong trends.

They took a game about free flowing movement and kneecapped you by only letting you run around a small area with limited skill unless you do fetch quests.

I bought it for the virtual photography with no gameplay expectations and still couldn’t stomach Catalyst.

• Banned

I finished ME four times but never could get through Catalyst once. Why does everything western have to be some pseudo-RPG open world crap? The upgrade systems usually just make it more tedious.

Same thing with Evil Within 2, actually. Played the original four times, once on Akumu, over 110 hours total, but never could get through the semi-open world sequel.